brake fluid reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
why the hell do you allow your fluid to get so damn dark without changing it?
OEM with only 16K miles. So IDK, man.

Is there actually a problem here, BB, and this is you being helpful? So hard to tell sometimes.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
mtech369
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sticker symbol represents braking sys

Originally Posted by Rochester
OMG, I can't take this any more! (LOL) Here's a pic of my 2011. The OP is right, there is clearly a sticker there. I believe that's a universally recognized symbol for "brakes".

And before someone asks about the reservoir to the right... I have a 6MT

rochester is correct in stating the symbol represents the brakes. btw your brake fluid color looks good to me. usually people tend to neglect to service the brake fluid in the braking system but i don't see any harsh discoloration of fluid in the reservoir.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by mtech369
rochester is correct in stating the symbol represents the brakes. btw your brake fluid color looks good to me. usually people tend to neglect to service the brake fluid in the braking system but i don't see any harsh discoloration of fluid in the reservoir.
Thanks, mtech369. Maybe BB is referencing the clutch fluid, although kind of hard to see the color from that pic. I can't find an INFINITI recommendation on replacing the brake fluid or clutch fluid. The coolant, AT gear oil, and rear diff gear oil they recommend every 30K.

I wonder what the recommendation is on brake and clutch fluid.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I was referring to the clutch reservoir fluid color, not the brake fluid color (hence the snide remark about driving AT). Maybe I'm not seeing it well, but it appears somewhat dark. Iced tea color rather than clear or slightly yellowish. If that's the case you should flush it and refill with fresh fluid. Brake fluid (and the clutch system) should be changed every year to 2 years regardless of mileage depending on how diligent you are with maintenance. Because it absorbs water.

I was actually trying to be helpful in this insurance.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was referring to the clutch reservoir fluid color, not the brake fluid color (hence the snide remark about driving AT). Maybe I'm not seeing it well, but it appears somewhat dark. Iced tea color rather than clear or slightly yellowish. If that's the case you should flush it and refill with fresh fluid. Brake fluid (and the clutch system) should be changed every year to 2 years regardless of mileage depending on how diligent you are with maintenance. Because it absorbs water.
It does rather look like iced tea. See, now that and the 2-year rec on brake fluid is good, snark-free advice. I was planning on the first week of March for an inspection (before the RHFC install), and I'm making note right now to discuss clutch & brake fluid with the shop.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Paceship

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's it!!!! ....The symbol for brakes. Who would have thought it.
Thanks Rochester
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Paceship
That's it!!!! ....The symbol for brakes. Who would have thought it.
Thanks Rochester
You're welcome, buddy. Always happy to take and post pictures.

Turns out this was valuable for me, too. I've never focused on brake fluid as a factor of elapsed time, more of just part of an overall brake service when rotors or pads are getting installed. But after this thread came up, I contacted my INFINITI Service Department, and they said their recommendation was to swap fluid if it ever got to where it was over 3 years old. So I'm having that done next month, with my annual inspection. (Good info, BB! Thanks!)

While there, I'll discuss the clutch fluid. I'll tell them some car forum moderator was mocking me for the fluid color... that should be fun.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You're welcome, buddy. Always happy to take and post pictures.

Turns out this was valuable for me, too. I've never focused on brake fluid as a factor of elapsed time, more of just part of an overall brake service when rotors or pads are getting installed. But after this thread came up, I contacted my INFINITI Service Department, and they said their recommendation was to swap fluid if it ever got to where it was over 3 years old. So I'm having that done next month, with my annual inspection. (Good info, BB! Thanks!)

While there, I'll discuss the clutch fluid. I'll tell them some car forum moderator was mocking me for the fluid color... that should be fun.
If they tell you it doesn't need attention (which is unlikely if you are going to pay them to service it), ask them since the fluid is the same type as in your brake system why it's a much darker color. The correct answer is that it has taken on the dark color form small bits of sediment from the seal in the master cylinder. If you look closely you can probably see some larger particles on the bottom of the reservoir. If they give you grief, just tell them that Black Betty said so. That usually works.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

If they tell you it doesn't need attention (which is unlikely if you are going to pay them to service it), ask them since the fluid is the same type as in your brake system why it's a much darker color. The correct answer is that it has taken on the dark color form small bits of sediment from the seal in the master cylinder. If you look closely you can probably see some larger particles on the bottom of the reservoir. If they give you grief, just tell them that Black Betty said so. That usually works.
Will do!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 AM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Quick question about the clutch reservoir. I just changed out some of the fluid and I don't really remember if the cap fits under the tabs... I remember it was kind of hard to take off the cap but I can't figure out how to make the cap fit under the tabs... If it does... -_-
Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I did my clutch flush last week (~17K miles, 3 1/2 years). The fluid didn't look too bad. In fact, it was lighter than the brake reservoir fluid which was just changed last november (~3K miles ago).

This got me thinking, when the brake reservoir fluid was done, it was almost clear. Now it looks about as dark as the pic in post #14. I used off the shelf valvoline dot 3/4 fluid:

I realize DOT 4 is a bit more hygroscopic than dot3, but to darken so quickly is discerning. I have no intention of running a race fluid whose shelf life is even shorter. Anyone have any experience with prestone dot 4 or other fluids for street purposes.

@rochester, was your clutch fluid level that low when you checked it or did you suck some out to replace with new fluid?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
@rochester, was your clutch fluid level that low when you checked it or did you suck some out to replace with new fluid?
A few months after this thread died, so did my clutch slave cylinder. The car only had 18K miles on it, but the CSC blew... which although an uncommon failure in the context of total cars built (both G and 370 manuals), it's not an uncommon thing to hear talked about on the forums. In any event, I was one of the unlucky ones. Still under warranty when it happened, but an unhappy and scary event nonetheless.

My point being, clutch fluid was replaced as a part of that repair work.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:00 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ and i'd be willing to bet your dealer used the 'GTR' spec clutch/brake fluid too. mine did when they replaced the CSC under warranty. not that i noticed any difference.

i had done a re+re of clutch fluid about a year before the CSC was replaced, and yes it does get dark and cloudy over time as it absorbs water and clutch dust contaminants. i actually wiped contaminants out of the reservoir - nasty black stuff.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:10 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Rochester, didn't realize you had a failed CSC. That explains the low fluid levels.

Back on the topic of brake fluid, I came across something called Pentosin brake fluids. Apparently it's the OE stuff used in german cars. It's available locally from most places.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_brakefluid.asp

It has better specs than the valvoline or prestone fluids. A little pricier ($14/liter), but may be worth it.

509F dry boiling
329F wet boiling

Last edited by JSolo; 07-17-2015 at 12:33 PM.