Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G37 will be called Q40 for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I learned about the potential Q40 release today while I was at the dealer getting my oil changed. It looks like the Q40 will only be offered in 4 colors and the only option will be Nav. Hopefully they will keep the Sport tire and wheel package as those wheels look 3x better than the utilitarian stockers. Also, if you look inside the driver's door at the build dates on the 2013 G37s, alot of them say December of 2013, which is odd because that date would typically be reserved for the 2014s.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:04 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Regarding the Q, I find it difficult to hate on it as much as some.

I test drove the Q50S Hybrid today while waiting for my oil change and was pleasantly surprised at how well the powertrain responded at lower speeds. I like that my 2013 does great over 2500 rpm and feels like it won’t quite pulling till about 7K, but I thought that the hybrid powerplant added a lot of balance on the low end, more reminiscent of the 335.

The inside was also very quiet, so it didn’t have that same raw feeling that has become the trademark of the G. I definitely felt the extra weight though, but not in a bad way really, but the outgoing model definitely brakes better IMO.

Also, the stack on the Q is sex. Infiniti knocked it out of the park with the software features and interior design on the Q. It’s like they integrated the best creature comforts of the M into the Q.

I also saw the split folding rear seat in person and thought that was a nice feature. I also like the extra 2 inches of leg room they added in the rear seats. It felt roomier than a M, and to be honest, I question what market the M even serves anymore.

I have a few years to go with my current G, but am looking forward to upgrading at some point.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm really wondering what the heck this ex-Audi boss is doing to Infiniti. With the problems the Q50 is having, it's as if he was some plant by the Euros to ruin them. only 1/3 kidding really...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't think the center stack looked very nice after a few revisits. Initially, yes, but not thereafter. Maybe it's the fact that it reminds me of a tablet?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
All Infiniti does these days is serve speeches about what they want to do with nothing concrete to even get excited about. Not to mention they keep pushing back the date for their next gen coupe. The Q50 isn't has much of a success as they'd hope which is the reason they kept the G37 sedan in the first place. Even if they rename it, there isn't enough differentiation between it and the G37 to really justify making the Q50 the step up. I get that they're essentially trying to do what every german brand has been doing successfully for several year now, but they should have done their revamp with all of the next gen cars ready to go. Time will tell if this strategy pays off but I predict they'll keep losing market share for quite some time. They're just nothing exciting in the Infiniti lineup when compare to what the competition has to offer.
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (01-27-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 PM
rare37s

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe years later infiniti will bring back the G badging especially if the Q doesn't sell as expected. That 500hp Q is going to be a hot item especially if priced right. Dealer last week had a ipl q60(37s) convertible and it was the feature of the showroom even over the q50. Whatever infiniti is up to they better make it quick. Competition Waits For Nobody
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
put a 6MT in there
Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by defektion
I'd like to see what bells and whistles they're going to tack onto the Q40. Like it's great they're keeping the G37 around and rebranding it as the Q40 but I'd like to see some newer options available. LED side view mirrors, around view camera, front bumper sensor things.
Only change I'd expect is badges (don't forget the "3.7" on the fenders) and more limited options
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was in the dealer for an oil change last week and am pretty chummy with the service guy there. As we all know the northeast has had a nasty winter and there seemed to be alot of people there with Q50's getting repairs. I asked what's up with the Q50. The service guy said with this cold snap, it's been a nightmare with the electric steering malfunctions and tech problems. I asked him under my breath is it worth upgrading? He gave me a look and whispered "keep your G". I'm sure they'll work all the bugs out eventually but with a tech laden car like the Q50, you would have to be either very patient or have alot of free time to wanna buy a 1st year model and be a guinea pig.

He was also also annoyed with the naming. The Q50, Q60, QX50 and now Q40. Could these sound anymore dull, generic and confusing.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skeener
I didn't think the center stack looked very nice after a few revisits. Initially, yes, but not thereafter. Maybe it's the fact that it reminds me of a tablet?
I see what you mean. It may have the 'Ford Fusion' effect on me over time in that the first time I saw the Fusion's new grill, I thought it looked amazing, but now, I've grown tired of it and it looks way over done.

I guess one of the tricks to designing these types of things is to create something that looks good, but it also timeless.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I am so over this brand... I agree with Soolman Infiniti delivers a lot of speeches but they brand is in such a transition with old products and new products that they are taking forever to fricken change them.

Look at the current M. That car is dead in the water. Nobody wants it. When is its replacement probably gonna show up? in like 4 years.

What the hell are they thinking?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:20 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I was in the dealer for an oil change last week and am pretty chummy with the service guy there. As we all know the northeast has had a nasty winter and there seemed to be alot of people there with Q50's getting repairs. I asked what's up with the Q50. The service guy said with this cold snap, it's been a nightmare with the electric steering malfunctions and tech problems. I asked him under my breath is it worth upgrading? He gave me a look and whispered "keep your G". I'm sure they'll work all the bugs out eventually but with a tech laden car like the Q50, you would have to be either very patient or have alot of free time to wanna buy a 1st year model and be a guinea pig.

He was also also annoyed with the naming. The Q50, Q60, QX50 and now Q40. Could these sound anymore dull, generic and confusing.
Hmm really we have no issues with ours?
An I thought I heard the Q40 was going to be a turbo 2.0, They are talking about sharing the motor out of the new Benz. (CLA)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
^Thats for the Q30, the little hatchback thing they just announced.

The G37/Q40 will be getting 0 updates, 0 enhancements. It is mearly a place holder in the company so that they have something entry level until either the Q50 comes down in price or the Q30 gets released.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!! Looks like the Focus ST?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!! Looks like the Focus ST?
Looks more like the new Mazda 3 hatchback, but with extra tacky. Hmm.

Quick Reply: G37 will be called Q40 for 2015