Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Added a couple more words for your responses
Logic? In a conversation with a spouse?
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
ngolbuff (06-29-2018), r2dmax (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Logic? In a conversation with a spouse?
As a former member of the married clan, that is funny!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Entcee
As a former member of the married clan, that is funny!
I actually say that in jest.

My wife generally responds something like "I hate when you use logic to prove you're right"
Old 06-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
2018 Subaru... three more years of payments, 12000 miles.
2014 Nissan... zero payments, 27000 miles.
2011 Infiniti... zero payments, 39000 miles.

It will all work out somehow. I shouldn't gin up worry about things like this, but it's what I do.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
May I start calling you Macauley Culkin?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
2018 Subaru... three more years of payments, 12000 miles.
2014 Nissan... zero payments, 27000 miles.
2011 Infiniti... zero payments, 39000 miles.

It will all work out somehow. I shouldn't gin up worry about things like this, but it's what I do.
Ah, just turn the radio up until you don't hear it anymore...
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Exactly. Chatter goes away as soon as I push the clutch pedal, and comes right back if letting out the pedal while in neutral. However, I don't hear the noise when releasing the clutch pedal into 1st gear, even when doing it as gently as possible, but that's hard to tell because the engine/exhaust is somewhat loud.

Planning on getting a mechanic's analysis on this problem next month.

Pretty sure the situation describes a failing input shaft bearing, not the throw-out bearing. Either way, pretty disappointing for a transmission with only 39k miles on it.

It definitely could be the input shaft bearing, but my bet would be on the throw-out bearing. The throw-out bearing is a much more common failure item and your car has way too little mileage to be at the point you'd need to replace the input shaft bearing.

From my experience, when the throw-out bearing first starts to fail the noise will usually be present when the bearing is turningbut not loaded so it will usually go away when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal and/or fully depress the clutch pedal (loading the throw out bearing)… If it still makes the noise with the clutch pedal fully depressed then the throw-out bearing could be completely gone and/or it could also be a bad pilot bearing, which would also get replaced when the clutch is replaced. If it makes the noise all the time regardless of the clutch position then its more than likely a bad input shaft bearing, which can also be replaced when the clutch isremoved.

Here’s a good site that explains common clutch noises that you can check out.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loud-noise-when-using-the-clutch-inspection

In the context of unexpected repair bills... $1000 sucks big time.

I understand replacing the two bearings, but why replace the clutch and flywheel if it's just the bearings that are going? These are not parts I want to upgrade. Driven a few cars with aftermarket clutch/flywheel mods, and I genuinely don't want this. It certainly makes the car more aggressive and is a performance mod, but it's also freaking brutal, and I don't like it.

This is always a tough decision because the cost of the replacement bearings is relatively low compared to the time and cost to replace them. Most people figure if they are taking the time to pull the tranny or paying someone hundreds of dollars to pull the tranny then the might as well replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel while they are in there. Otherwise you are going to be paying someone another $600 or so in a couple of years to replace the clutch. Even if you aren't upgrading it would definitely save on future maintenance costs.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:48 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Happy Friday y'all.

I've been experiencing an intermittent loss in clutch pressure the past couple months. I checked the clutch fluid today and noticed it's a tad lower and a bit darker than when it was put in last December. I'd like to get another flush/replacement done, but this time I want to avoid the dealership and the $450 they charged me last time. How much should an independent mechanic charge to flush/replace clutch fluid?

I also want them to check the slave cylinder while they're down there. Is this an unreasonable request? From a quick check, can they see whether my slave cylinder if failing or not?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I'd like to get another flush/replacement done, but this time I want to avoid the dealership and the $450 they charged me last time. How much should an independent mechanic charge to flush/replace clutch fluid?
My best guess, a minimum charge for an hour of lift time. It's not rocket science, but sure is convenient to have a lift and another person. Better yet, pay someone else and be done with it.

Or drive up to Canada and buy Frank a couple of beers.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-29-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

A minimum charge for an hour of lift time. It's not rocket science, but sure is convenient to have a lift and someone else. Better yet, pay someone else and be done with it.
I really need to have the clutch flushed/bleed again. It's been ~3 years/30K since I last did it. I don't recall exactly, but it was <$100, and I brought my own fluid.

I'm a big DIY guy, but agree, for <$100, this is kinda a pain, and I've reached a point where I don't really have anyone that wants to spend an hour in the garage with me turning wrenches, and wifey declined when I asked her to pump the clutch 30 times while I lay under the car. So yeah, this is something I'd pay to get done. $450 is an absolute rip off though.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:02 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

My best guess, a minimum charge for an hour of lift time.

Or drive up to Canada and buy Frank a couple of beers.
That's not too bad at all. Last time there was a lot of sludge and that was the dealership's excuse for charging more labor. Hopefully it's not that bad this time.

And Frank sounds like a cool guy - that hourly rate is pretty decent.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I really need to have the clutch flushed/bleed again. It's been ~3 years/30K since I last did it. I don't recall exactly, but it was <$100, and I brought my own fluid.

I'm a big DIY guy, but agree, for <$100, this is kinda a pain, and I've reached a point where I don't really have anyone that wants to spend an hour in the garage with me turning wrenches, and wifey declined when I asked her to pump the clutch 30 times while I lay under the car. So yeah, this is something I'd pay to get done. $450 is an absolute rip off though.
How dirty was your clutch fluid? 3 years seems like a long time, but maybe the internet is just exaggerating the importance of changing it once a year.

And yeah after watching some videos, I realize that with a lift and another person it shouldn't take ~$400 worth of labor, even if it was super dirty.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
How dirty was your clutch fluid? 3 years seems like a long time, but maybe the internet is just exaggerating the importance of changing it once a year.

It wasn't bad at 3 years, and it isn't bad now. Running Motul RBF600.

I think there is an unrepresentative % of 6MT cars on the internet posting about this problem, because a higher % of people posting on the forums and buying this car are enthusiasts, and more likely to be modding and a part of the community.

That being said, it's a weak link, and a deciding factor, for me, in opting for the extended warranty.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
John, the exchange rate is in your favour, although our gas is a lot more expensive right now.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
$1.45-$1.60 a litre translates to $5.40-6.0 a gallon lol Welcome to the north!

You do get to drop it by 1/3 due to the dollar but it’s still outta hand
Old 07-03-2018, 10:35 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Either my slave or master cylinder went out today.

​​​​​​I was having my clutch fluid replaced and apparently the clutch completely lost pressure and fell to the floor. The mechanic is thinking it's the master cylinder, but I don't recall seeing anything off with it. So I had to see the poor car on a flatbed, strapped down and defenseless.

​​​​​Weirdly enough, my mechanic is right next door to the Z shop. The tow truck driver let me run over there and I'm looking to get a ZSpeed HD CSC and different master cylinder installed early next week. The Z shop guy kept mentioning the Wilwood HD master cylinder, but I see it's only available for the 350z/g35. Can this part be used for the g37 as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread