G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by NitDawg
That black tar **** on that moisture barrier (or whatever purpose that plastic film serves) SUCKS. Gets everywhere. Some diluted mineral sprits worked to get it off.
When I was doing car stereo for a living, we'd put duct tape over the black goo on the door itself; comes off OK and still leaves enough go to readhere the moisture barrier, but keeps you and the car interior clean.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Potentially great grab for someone looking for a red 6MT sedan:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4910/overview/
I’ve dealt with the seller before buying my 09 6mt sedan. Even bought a ticket to see the car before canceling. Talk about money down the drain... He didn’t register the car after buying it and the title was still in the prev owner’s name. I was wondering why he wasn’t sending a picture of the title to my credit union until I realized what was going on. It’s not possible to register the car if the title is not from the seller. I even offered to pay his taxes so he will title it but after a couple more run arounds, I cut my losses short and walked away. It’s probably got the same problem and that’s why it’s still for sale lol
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by NitDawg
That black tar **** on that moisture barrier (or whatever purpose that plastic film serves) SUCKS. Gets everywhere. Some diluted mineral sprits worked to get it off.
Originally Posted by rotarymike
When I was doing car stereo for a living, we'd put duct tape over the black goo on the door itself; comes off OK and still leaves enough go to readhere the moisture barrier, but keeps you and the car interior clean.
I installed car stereos for 4 or 5 years back in the '80's as well and we did something similar, except we used strips of kitchen parchment paper to cover the black sealant instead of duct tape. Helps keep the car interior clean and comes off fairly easily. I'm not sure the official term for that black goo, but back in the '80's we used to call that stuff elephant snot. LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 12:13 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I installed car stereos for 4 or 5 years back in the '80's as well and we did something similar, except we used strips of kitchen parchment paper to cover the black sealant instead of duct tape. Helps keep the car interior clean and comes off fairly easily. I'm not sure the official term for that black goo, but back in the '80's we used to call that stuff elephant snot. LOL
Mid-90s for me; we called it dinosaur jizz (I'm guessing a reference to oil and/or the labrea tar pits). But then again, I mostly worked with folks that consumed a lot of inhaled combusted native plant material.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

So the FI cats and exhaust came this week. Probably July before I can do anything but admire it on the library floor, so is there anything I need to get other than the hardware kit that comes with it? New studs for the oem headers-to-cat flanges, any better or different gaskets I should be looking at? New hangers? Worth getting new O2 sensors instead of reusing the existing ones? Beer of preference for exhaust modifications?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
So the FI cats and exhaust came this week. Probably July before I can do anything but admire it on the library floor, so is there anything I need to get other than the hardware kit that comes with it? New studs for the oem headers-to-cat flanges, any better or different gaskets I should be looking at? New hangers? Worth getting new O2 sensors instead of reusing the existing ones? Beer of preference for exhaust modifications?
It's been a while, but two things, if I recall correctly. One is to buy a pair of flange gaskets from FI for the connection between the cats and headers, instead of trying to reuse the ones that are already there. And two, buy some SS hardware for all the flange nuts & bolts. I don't know why FI doesn't offer SS hardware as an option. The pipes won't rust, but the exhaust hardware will.

New rubber hangers... not a bad idea. New O2 Sensors? Nah, they either work or they don't. Replace them when they don't.

Wait, you have a library? Would that be in the main house, or somewhere else on the estate?

Last edited by Rochester; 06-13-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Another thing to consider... FI does away with the support brace between the cats. That seems like not such a good idea.

Here are some options: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...tions-hfc.html
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wait, you have a library? Would that be in the main house, or somewhere else on the estate?
Our house has a small sitting room in the front of the house and a long but narrow living room in the back. We made the front room our living room and the back room we put bookshelves all along one wall. I think 6-7 full height bookshelves. They are full several times over, but I've been collecting hardcovers that interest me for almost 30 years. One big window shaded by 8' tall azaleas - not quite the two-tier library with dome and rolling ladder I'd like to have, but it will do.

... but, but: Our daughter essentially claimed it as her play room, so it is so full of toys et al that only a 3' tall person can safely wade through it all. She's even mined the entrance with legos. I just unpacked the exhaust into a clear space to check for shipping damage - I've already been given notice by the homeowner (also known as my wife) that the piping needs to move into the garage. Now if she'd just give me some free weekends to install all the parts I've been collecting...
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Another thing to consider... FI does away with the support brace between the cats. That seems like not such a good idea.

Here are some options: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...tions-hfc.html
I could probably rig something up with something like these https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/p...iABEgLiOPD_BwE that are easily reversible if they cause more problems than not.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So... in the main house, down the hall from the sitting room. Makes sense.

I could probably rig something up with something like these https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/p...iABEgLiOPD_BwE that are easily reversible if they cause more problems than not.
I don't get it. How would you use those t-bolt clamps?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

So... in the main house, down the hall from the sitting room. Makes sense.
What can I say? The houses in Charleston are mostly inspired by the big plantation houses of the bad old antebellum days.

T-bolt clamp goes over an straight-ish section of pipe of the RHFC, and the bolt/nut passes through the support bracket. Aerospace uses something very similar to support conduits. Would you be able to jack the car up by that point? No. But it provides enough support to prevent vibration related failures, and is fairly low-profile for an already crowded area.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I had this guy come up to me today at the gas station, wanting to talk about my car. He knew how uncommon the 6MT was in the Sedan, and was really interested in all the modifications.

Kind of neat when that happens. Actually happens a few times a year, although I really don't get out much.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (06-25-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've gotten that maybe two times since I bought the car a year ago. Mostly people think its a cool car without knowing anything about Skylines or the Z familial relationship of this one. I tell people that it's a 370 with 4 doors and 4 seats and they kinda get the picture - but most folks seem to think that my infinity is just a maxima with leather and a higher cost.

Maybe I should paint it that orange bronze the Z cars come in, then they'd think it was special. (kidding).
Old 06-18-2019, 03:59 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
It's been a while, but two things, if I recall correctly. One is to buy a pair of flange gaskets from FI for the connection between the cats and headers, instead of trying to reuse the ones that are already there. And two, buy some SS hardware for all the flange nuts & bolts. I don't know why FI doesn't offer SS hardware as an option. The pipes won't rust, but the exhaust hardware will.

New rubber hangers... not a bad idea. New O2 Sensors? Nah, they either work or they don't. Replace them when they don't.

Rochester, did you order SS hardware online? If so, do you have a link? I just ordered a FI unresonated catback with 10'' mufflers for my redsport.It will be here mid august.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Rochester, did you order SS hardware online? If so, do you have a link? I just ordered a FI unresonated catback with 10'' mufflers for my redsport.It will be here mid august.
I think it was a combination of online and the local Fastenal. But honestly, I don't recall entirely. Certainly don't have any links.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread