Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:02 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Speaking of FI, anyone know what their lead times are nowadays?

I would tap the cat pipes with something metal (ball peen hammer) and see where the rattle is.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's not my dead horse to beat, but I've never heard of substrate fouling and rattling in FI cats, and highly suspicious that would happen four months from new. I know you're not looking for advice, but maybe you ought to have your mechanic take a look before spending good money after bad. Long tubes are expensive, more so if you've just flushed $600 on FI resonated cats tossed in the trash.

What is possible is one of them broke a weld. It's rare, but it can happen. Whatever it is, likely FI will stand behind the purchase.
I am my mechanic😂 the isr long tubes are actually inexpensive, and my tuner recommended them. Seems viable. Was being a bit lazy about dropping the rhfc just to look, especially if nothing can be done in that moment. In all honesty, I'm looking to add headers. However, most solid products seem to be a de flange....not being compatible with fast intentions. Anywho, I can figure out what to do with the cats after they are out and I'm not pressed to get them back in right away. Since i daily the car.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Speaking of FI, anyone know what their lead times are nowadays?

I would tap the cat pipes with something metal (ball peen hammer) and see where the rattle is.
Rattling is coming from the upper side. Lead time is about 12 weeks in the combo i purchased. However, rhfc alone might be sooner.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:51 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

It's not my dead horse to beat, but I've never heard of substrate fouling and rattling in FI cats, and highly suspicious that would happen four months from new. I know you're not looking for advice, but maybe you ought to have your mechanic take a look before spending good money after bad. Long tubes are expensive, more so if you've just flushed $600 on FI resonated cats tossed in the trash.

What is possible is one of them broke a weld. It's rare, but it can happen. Whatever it is, likely FI will stand behind the purchase.
I should mention though, that if fast intentions does help me with the pipes, then I'll stay the same for now.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RosaP-37S-G
I am my mechanic😂
Awesome. Good for you. It was reading like you were using a shop, so my bad.

Since i daily the car.
Horrible noise in a DD... yep, that sucks. Pretty sure we all know what that feels like.

I should mention though, that if fast intentions does help me with the pipes, then I'll stay the same for now.
I bet they will. Good luck, Rosa.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
I just wanted to say: I've been doing a huge project on my 6MT car, and I found myself dreading doing some of the work out of a fear that I couldn't pull it off. Sometimes it took me hours, sometimes it didn't turn out perfect, but so far it's mostly worked out great. Some of the fears I had were also misplaced, somethings I thought would be hard ended up being easy (and visa versa).

So yeah, I'm not super skilled or anything, but as long as you can take your time and are some what intelligent you can probably do most things for your car by yourself.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I just wanted to say: I've been doing a huge project on my 6MT car, and I found myself dreading doing some of the work out of a fear that I couldn't pull it off. Sometimes it took me hours, sometimes it didn't turn out perfect, but so far it's mostly worked out great. Some of the fears I had were also misplaced, somethings I thought would be hard ended up being easy (and visa versa).

So yeah, I'm not super skilled or anything, but as long as you can take your time and are some what intelligent you can probably do most things for your car by yourself.
I couldn't agree more. And almost always, a hurdle is just a matter of having the right tool. Which just gives justification and pleasure to building up the toolbox. But i will add that driving your car following a lengthy procedure is always extremely gratifying.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I know you know that I've always connected with your automotive values, but holy crap... your next car ambitions are on a whole different level.

All awesome, two-pedal cars.

My preference would be the Jag, but the 6-cyl, 6MT. Failing that, I'd like the Alfa, and pray it stayed out of the shop.
Yeah, I do think our automotive tastes tend to align pretty well, John. I know your thinking of a Jaguar F-Type for your next car and that's pretty high up on my list as well. My feeling for this next car is that it will be my "last hurrah" before getting ready for retirement. So since this will most likely be the nicest car I will ever own I am being very selective. My wife is also on board with most of the cars that I am looking at, but has also said that we need to get rid of at least one car. So that will mean that I will be selling either the G or the Jeep or possible both sometime this year. I will still have the Porsche to drive, which is a 3-pedal car and will also end up becoming my next project car, so I'm not limiting my search to manual only cars...I even drove a Porsche Targa 4S with a 7 spd manual and also a manual Audi R8 that I really liked. The R8 would be higher up on my list if I could find a 2012+ V10 manual in my price range, but they are very hard to come by.

Originally Posted by STownSaint
I'd be happy for a long while with a Redsport powerplant in my G

Almost glad they didn't make the Redsport in 6MT, that cash is better in a brokerage account...
Neither of my IRA accounts has done well this past year, so I'm curious which stocks/funds your broker is investing you in... LOL.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

I bet they will. Good luck, Rosa.

You certainly called it. Just got off the phone with Tony at Fast intentions. What an absolute stand up guy. I'll be pulling the cats off and sending them out to cali this weekend. Suppose i was a bit negative early on from reading to deep into the warranty verbiage. Nevertheless, extremely impressed with that company. Air high five for your confidence in them from the get...��

Last edited by Rochester; 04-10-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Air high five for your confidence in them from the get...��
Right back at you. Best of luck.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Saw an F-type convertible today on the way in to work. Verra nice...

quick sanity check - is the Whiteline KDT911 the right part# for diff bushing for a sedan?
Old 04-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
is the Whiteline KDT911 the right part# for diff bushing for a sedan?
Yup thats the one
Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Saw an F-type convertible today on the way in to work. Verra nice...
IMO, the Vert is a head-turner. But the Coupe... that car is art in motion. The F-Type Coupe grabs me by the chest.

It's a personal dream car, for sure. If I had to point to one design element that's weak, it's the headlights. Otherwise, ouch.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
IMO, the Vert is a head-turner. But the Coupe... that car is art in motion. The F-Type Coupe grabs me by the chest.

It's a personal dream car, for sure. If I had to point to one design element that's weak, it's the headlights. Otherwise, ouch.

I’ve got a soft spot for British cars, but jag has never done it for me. And I don’t need another maintenance time suck in the fleet, wife’s mini is enough.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'm a sucker for Lotus. I think the goal once the kiddo is off to college in 10 years is to find an Exige or properly modified Elise. Jags... Well, I like the 60s e-types, and this f-type was pretty awesome looking.

//CSB: When I lived in NC and was racing, a jag and mini mechanic had the shop next door. He had a very very nicely built race e-type with a hotted up v12 from the XJS. About 370 HP and unknown gobs of torque. Cleanest car I've ever seen. Pretty much all of it custom made. I got to help him build and tune the MegaSquirt to run the individual throttle body injection setup he had created.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread