Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:00 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I'm a technology averse old fart as well... I've never actually been on Facebook and don't ever plan to. I have no need for it and don't know where I'd ever find the time to use it. I have friends that drive me nuts with them being on their phone all the time checking Facebook... even when we went to Costa Rica with a group of friends last year it was crazy how much time they all wasted checking and updating their Facebook accounts... That's not for me.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I'm a technology averse old fart as well... I've never actually been on Facebook and don't ever plan to. I have no need for it and don't know where I'd ever find the time to use it. I have friends that drive me nuts with them being on their phone all the time checking Facebook... even when we went to Costa Rica with a group of friends last year it was crazy how much time they all wasted checking and updating their Facebook accounts... That's not for me.
As long as you have self control its fine. It's a great way to keep in touch with people, and unfortunately it's the best way to be involved in groups now. I've been a hardcore forum person since 2001 (supraforums), and I watched most of my forums become irrelevant besides for mostly older documented knowledge. I hate what facebook has done to well archived forums, but it's still very useful and you're going to miss out on a lot of stuff. I know it's for you to decide whether or not it's worth it, but sadly it is and will be the dominating force in new knowledge and communication.

PS: I haven't had a smart phone in like 6 years hehe.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
There are three types of people on Facebook.

Those who have an unwavering emotional need to let everyone know everything about themselves.

Those who have an unwavering emotional need to know everything about everyone because their lives are pathetic.

And those who live vicariously through their children and think everyone, everywhere cares about their kids.

I can’t wait for myinstatwitbook to implode and for greater society to have some desire for privacy again.

till then, I’ll be mobbing around in my fat girl with awd and snow tires.

Last edited by Corprin; 02-07-2019 at 08:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
My votes for the Harbor Freight jack.
For comparison of current-state, I went and measured my ancient, hunk-of-rust floor jack. Damn thing weighs 85 pounds! It has a 19" max lift, and a 4.5" min rest. One of the reasons I'm wanting to replace it is because the handle is getting super difficult to unlock. It's many decades old. It's time.

Clearly 85 pounds is nuts, however it's not that far off from the 78 pound 3-ton at Harbor Freight. For that matter, not far off from the 67 pound Arcan 2-ton. 4.5" resting height is really a PITA. Usable, but just barely. So a low-profile jack will be a welcome change. And 19" is way more high than I will ever need just to change wheels and what not.

So now I'm thinking the vastly more light, and less-expensive, 1.5-ton Pittsburg Jack might be the right ticket for 95% of the time that I need a floor jack, irrespective of the 14" lift and short reach. Primarily I need it for swapping wheels. I have a Harbor Freight about two miles from my house. I think I'm going to go see what's there.

[edit]

Just bought the $80 jack. Coupon codes don't apply to floor jacks... or the girl at the counter is fcking with me. She was a miserable person, so that's possible. Whatever. It was very inexpensive, very lightweight, and should be perfect for swapping wheels.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:06 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Even @ $80 it's a great deal. I like mine because my garage/driveway are not a flat surface (anymore), so having one you can grab by a handle makes moving it around much easier.

If you ever need more lifting ability you can always just use 2x4's etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

[edit]

Just bought the $80 jack. Coupon codes don't apply to floor jacks... or the girl at the counter is fcking with me. She was a miserable person, so that's possible. Whatever. It was very inexpensive, very lightweight, and should be perfect for swapping wheels.
lol i'm confused, did you end up with the 1.5 ton aluminum one or the 3 ton low profile steel jack?...weird about the coupon code but probably in the fine print...sometimes the people in the store a weird, sometimes they are amazing...I used to go to the one in Buffalo and they'd discount the price of multiple items for me to keep my bill under $200.00 so I wouldn't have to pay taxes at the border..the one i go to in detroit somtimes...PIA all of them
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
lol i'm confused, did you end up with the 1.5 ton aluminum one or the 3 ton low profile steel jack?...weird about the coupon code but probably in the fine print...sometimes the people in the store a weird, sometimes they are amazing...I used to go to the one in Buffalo and they'd discount the price of multiple items for me to keep my bill under $200.00 so I wouldn't have to pay taxes at the border..the one i go to in detroit somtimes...PIA all of them
The little guy... 1.5 ton, 31 pounds: http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-...ump-60569.html

In person, I got won over by how small and light it is. However, I haven't played with it yet. Just threw it in the garage, still in its box, where it will probably stay until there's warmer weather.

This particular Harbor Freight is in a run-down plaza. Very dirty, and sometimes downright unpleasant.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
oh nice, I like the roller front instead of the two little wheels... it saves your driveway if you have asphalt and the padded saddle make it very user-friendly out of the box...and its so much lighter than anything else that pumps up that fast
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
oh nice, I like the roller front instead of the two little wheels... it saves your driveway if you have asphalt and the padded saddle make it very user-friendly out of the box...and its so much lighter than anything else that pumps up that fast
Not worried about asphalt or cement... my garage floor is buckling, and the driveway asphalt is cracked like Mother Teresa's face. But the small footprint and light weight really appeal to me. On paper, it should be much better than my old jack, and for not much money, which will be awesome. My next need for the jack comes in a couple months, when I swap the Vossens back on the car in the Spring.

Props to the SupraOfDoom for the suggestion.

You know, I think I got my advice for the headlight bulbs here in this chat thread, too. Still haven't installed them, tho
Old 02-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Make sure you loctite all the bolts that hold the HF aluminum jack together. They will fall out.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Corprin
Make sure you loctite all the bolts that hold the HF aluminum jack together. They will fall out.
(sigh) OK. Good advice. I suppose I should unbox it now, since I did just buy it.

Man, I hate winter.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I have that little one. It's pretty good, it just dosen't go up very high. I didn't loctite the bolts and they have been fine...
Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
If you guys aren't in the facebook groups (like strictly infiniti sedans, VQ35HR / VQ37VHR Discussion) etc, you really should join. I prefer the forum over all, but a lot of the information here is dated and a lot of the fresher exciting VQ/Sedan information is posted in the groups.
I have always avoided Facebook, but I decided to look into the VQ / G37 / 370z groups a few months ago.

There is SO MUCH more in crazy mods (rear mounted turbos, Whipple superchargers, E85, custom body work, custom lights, etc.)
If you pick the right group (like VQ35HR / VQ37VHR Discussion) you can draw upon almost 7,000 members.

I love this forum, but when you ask a question here it might be seen by a few hundred people (side note: Max people on this forum is just over 700), but in some VQ groups it will be seen by over 25,000 members.

I have learned a lot from some very knowledgeable people.
Yes, you did need to ignore the goofs, but many forums have struck rules on the code of conduct and
most of the goofs get banned from the group.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I have always avoided Facebook, but I decided to look into the VQ / G37 / 370z groups a few months ago.

There is SO MUCH more in crazy mods (rear mounted turbos, Whipple superchargers, E85, custom body work, custom lights, etc.)
If you pick the right group (like VQ35HR / VQ37VHR Discussion) you can draw upon almost 7,000 members.

I love this forum, but when you ask a question here it might be seen by a few hundred people (side note: Max people on this forum is just over 700), but in some VQ groups it will be seen by over 25,000 members.

I have learned a lot from some very knowledgeable people.
Yes, you did need to ignore the goofs, but many forums have struck rules on the code of conduct and
most of the goofs get banned from the group.
Exactly. Most users here probably aren't even aware of the whipple charger builds going on. They are obviously very content about living under their rock though . Just a small portion of the exciting stuff going on in the VQ world.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I joined some of those FB groups but it's just so much cancer. Nobody can write English properly or be bothered to do a simple google search before posting a stupid question.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread