Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I finally got the car to act like it is rear wheel drive and appropriate oversteer, along with what feels like 40HP, at the touch of a button. The traction control button. With it off, even normal-driving launches from a stop in first are smoother - and I can repeat results with turning the system on and off. It is amazing how much the TC touches when it's on. Even got it to hammer the front passenger brake in a pretty ugly slide (wet parking lot, seeing what it would do).

Not sure how much a smooth-driving difference it would make with an auto trans. But for the 6MT, WOW. Still feels like a big sedan, so when I get the scratch Hotchkis bars are on the list.

Haven't had it push (understeer) on me yet, but the tires that are on it are buttery and traction isn't linear - it lets go way easier than it should with 10" rear wheels. Can't wait to get modern rubber on the OEM wheels and see what the car is supposed to feel like.

Last edited by rotarymike; 10-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Romeo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow mode!

hey guys what should i do? On my 2011 g37x sedan I’ve noticed a few times my snow mode might have gone on by me accidentally pushing the button and I don’t even realize it. Aren’t I suppose to go on like 10-40 speed when it is on and nothing more ? But for me I can still drive normal speeds up to 100. What is the solution to this ?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo1
hey guys what should i do? On my 2011 g37x sedan I’ve noticed a few times my snow mode might have gone on by me accidentally pushing the button and I don’t even realize it. Aren’t I suppose to go on like 10-40 speed when it is on and nothing more ? But for me I can still drive normal speeds up to 100. What is the solution to this ?
Its interesting to see so many different versions of misunderstanding the AWD system lol. You can drive full speed with it, all it does is soften your throttle response from a standstill and up to 20km/h it engages 50/50 power split with all wheels getting power. Once you get up to speed, the car goes back to RWD mode and engages the front wheels when the rears slip a bit. Snow mode is literally there to pull you out of snow and help you stop and go at traffic lights and stuff.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Moderator status? Uh-oh

The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I finally got the car to act like it is rear wheel drive and appropriate oversteer, along with what feels like 40HP, at the touch of a button. The traction control button. With it off, even normal-driving launches from a stop in first are smoother - and I can repeat results with turning the system on and off. It is amazing how much the TC touches when it's on. Even got it to hammer the front passenger brake in a pretty ugly slide (wet parking lot, seeing what it would do).

Not sure how much a smooth-driving difference it would make with an auto trans. But for the 6MT, WOW. Still feels like a big sedan, so when I get the scratch Hotchkis bars are on the list.

Haven't had it push (understeer) on me yet, but the tires that are on it are buttery and traction isn't linear - it lets go way easier than it should with 10" rear wheels. Can't wait to get modern rubber on the OEM wheels and see what the car is supposed to feel like.
I think turning the traction control off in our cars makes a pretty noticeable difference as well. Sometimes when accelerating pretty briskly on a slight incline, I'll get that hesitation. I get none of that with the traction control off. Driving with it off also makes me realize how predictable tail slide in our cars is and how easy it is to control.

Anyhoo, got my parts in and I'm scheduled to get springs/shocks/spacers, brakes/rotors, brake fluid flush, alignment, and oil change done next Monday. This should be a pretty big upgrade so I'm pretty danged excited. The shop I'm working with has some of the best customer service I've experienced anywhere - just hope that translates into their work. I'll post a review with the new setup once I get some miles on it!

@Rochester, I scrolled through some posts trying to figure out what you were referencing, but I now see that 'STAFF' flair under your name. Congrats, and pls don't ban me.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I think turning the traction control off in our cars makes a pretty noticeable difference as well. Sometimes when accelerating pretty briskly on a slight incline, I'll get that hesitation. I get none of that with the traction control off. Driving with it off also makes me realize how predictable tail slide in our cars is and how easy it is to control.
Run a few launches as hard as you can with TC on, then do the same with TC off. You'll find that with TC on, there's a hesitancy and a mushyness at WOT that isn't there with TC off. However, with TC off you'll also experience the possibility (likelihood) of breaking traction. In other words, the best most effective launch in your car is with TC off and skills at launching hard without losing it. And in other-other words... driving every high-HP car ever made before traction control was a thing.

@Rochester, I scrolled through some posts trying to figure out what you were referencing, but I now see that 'STAFF' flair under your name. Congrats, and pls don't ban me.
That'll never happen, you've been great here on the forum, IMO. Plus, I haven't figured anything out yet, except to discover a Mod/Admin folder that I didn't know existed, LOL.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Run a few launches as hard as you can with TC on, then do the same with TC off. You'll find that with TC on, there's a hesitancy and a mushyness at WOT that isn't there with TC off. However, with TC off you'll also experience the possibility (likelihood) of breaking traction. In other words, the best most effective launch in your car is with TC off and skills at launching hard without losing it. And in other-other words... driving every high-HP car ever made before traction control was a thing.
Don't laugh, but I've never actually launched this car. I've done some pulls from a standstill, but that was enough to see how much the traction control intrudes. I'll get to launching it one day, maybe right before my next set of tires.

That'll never happen, you've been great here on the forum, IMO. Plus, I haven't figured anything out yet, except to discover a Mod/Admin folder that I didn't know existed, LOL.
Thanks man. I got banned from a video game forum a while back and I'm still salty about it. With some moderators you have to vary your steps so you don't disturb the worm. I don't get that vibe from you .
Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Don't laugh, but I've never actually launched this car.
I don't think you go aftermarket on the clutch without driving the car hard. Hold the revs at 4k, and dump the clutch. Or if you'd rather, walk it out and immediately bury the throttle. I think everybody should do that once in a while, a few times a year, at least. I'm not advocating you street race (!), just that you safely explore the limits of a car that you obviously consider a Sport Sedan.

Personally, I drive like an old man 98% of the time (because I am old). But that other 2%... I suppose that's split 1% each between feeling awesome and totally embarrassing myself. That happens, too. Sometimes it happens here on the forum. It might be happening right now... IDK.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-02-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Don't laugh, but I've never actually launched this car. I've done some pulls from a standstill, but that was enough to see how much the traction control intrudes. I'll get to launching it one day, maybe right before my next set of tires.

Thanks man. I got banned from a video game forum a while back and I'm still salty about it. With some moderators you have to vary your steps so you don't disturb the worm. I don't get that vibe from you .
I launched this 6MT car (poorly) at an on ramp stop light. Gave the people behind me a little bit of a show lol. Felt good considering there isn't too much you can do for an AWD G (what I'm used to) as far as launches go. Really wish they would have made a 6MT AWD car too.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

You don't go aftermarket on the clutch without driving the car hard. A modified 6MT... you know what? I call BS on that claim. Hold the revs at 4k, and dump the clutch. Or if you'd rather, walk it out and immediately bury the throttle. I think everybody should do that once in a while, just to see where the limits are and what you can do with this car. A few times a year, at least.

Personally, I drive like an old man 98% of the time (because I am). But that other 2%... I suppose that's split 1% each between feeling awesome and totally embarrassing myself.
I've never done the 'hold revs at 4k and dump the clutch', but I often (way more than few times a year) walk it out and immediately bury the throttle all the way to redline. I guess you could consider that a soft launch? I dunno. In fact, all this traction control talk got me excited and at lunch I let the back end slide out a bit. Again, this car is so damn predictable. Never do I feel like it's getting away from me.

And lmao, I feel ya with the embarrassment thing. Too many times have I missed a shift when doing a pull with someone inside the car.

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I launched this 6MT car (poorly) at an on ramp stop light. Gave the people behind me a little bit of a show lol. Felt good considering there isn't too much you can do for an AWD G (what I'm used to) as far as launches go. Really wish they would have made a 6MT AWD car too.
Sounds like you're warming up nicely to your 6MT.

Last edited by obsidiansamurai; 10-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Rochester (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Miss-shifting against the rev-limiter is the most humbling experience imaginable when you're trying to show off. Tail between your legs, swearing to God you'll never do *that* again.

And there's the accidental show-off moment, or at least unintentional. Like dropping your daughter off to a group of people, and having your kid apologize for her Dad's loud car. Not that that's ever happened. Just saying, it could.

Here's a story, because I like to write. Three years ago, my youngest was still in middle school. She had a great relationship with the Principal (wonderful woman), for a whole bunch of proud reasons, and late one night she stayed after long enough that it was just her and the Principal waiting out front for me to pick my kid up. This was the dead of January, about 10°F, pitch black and perfectly still. Although it was winter, and frigid cold out, my car was clean and the pavement was dry, so I took the G to pick her up. As I rev-matched into the turn, with the school down the road and up a small hillside, I used a healthy throttle into the neighborhood. I'm sure the exhaust note was incredible, which was kind of the point.

My kid said, "There's my Dad now."

And the Principal laughed, saying, "No honey, that's not your father."

Meanwhile, I swung around slowly and pulled up to the curb. My kid got in the car, while the Principal just kind of waved that little wave you do when you raise your hand and roll your fingers. Kind of a shocked look on her face. And my kid... she picked up on all that, and was busting with a big smile. Loved that moment.

Was I embarrassed? Well yeah, sure I was. But it was fun too, so I went with it. And it makes for a neat little story.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.
ngolbuff (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Miss-shifting against the rev-limiter is the most humbling experience imaginable when you're trying to show off.
Never done that, but stalling out in an intersection's gotta be a close rival.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:36 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Never done that, but stalling out in an intersection's gotta be a close rival.
That honestly might take the cake. Holding up traffic, frantically trying to start my car is a memory burned into my mind.

Oh man, I almost forgot that one of the most embarrassing moments in my life happened in the G. I almost centered my car on a curb.

For some reason, I had removed the parking brake before starting, and I was still in gear. As I'm waving to my coworker getting in the car next to me, I start my car and jolt forward over the curb. To make it worse, I pumped the clutch instead of the brake and ended up humping the curb once before I found the brake. I turned it off right after and reversed back down, but it scraped the bottom of my bumper up something fierce. I'm overly cautious about starting my car now.

@Rochester lol, at least you don't come off as a stick in the mud!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, I thought every car at least had Bluetooth.

From the FAQ on that item:
"Will the USB-AUDIO work with my TV, gaming console or car?

No. The audio adapter will only functions with Windows, OS X and Linux/BSD which is accessible and configurable."

So I'm thinking no, but if you're a wizard you might be able to get it working. It's real disappointing that they didn't include an aux output, almost as disappointing as the cup holders.
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Any USB thing you find will suck. It just will. Do this even though it's more expensive: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ipped-car.html
Agreed, from all the researching I did here. There's not much reliability to had. Does anyone know what kind of architecture the USB Input takes in the 2012 G37x?? Is it for strictly Apple products only, i.e. iPhone and iPods????? Does it accept Audio to BT Streaming?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
This is my interior still stripped and drying. I think the front box is the accelerometer for traction control. Any idea what the rear box is?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread