G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Also, someone should grab these (clean IPL wheels/tires for $1000 neg)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...622641817.html
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 AM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
If I was still in Quantico I would but shipping would be a killer lol
Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
So he's Canadian...

Canadian. Kind of wish I were Canadian.

There was a Primary last night, and one of my neighbors won. (I voted for him.) Odds are really good that he'll be going to Washington after November's election to serve in Congress. One of my neighbors... seriously, he lives right down the street from me. Very humble household, very pleasant guy.

That's pretty damn cool.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-27-2018 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (06-27-2018), milosz (06-29-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:47 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Hey Guys. I'm moving my company office closer to my house in July so I've been going through my warehouse and have a bunch of sedan parts for sale. If you 're interested I have these parts are listed for sale at the below link. Keep checking back though as I seem to be finding more parts every hour. LOL
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...-and-more.html
The following users liked this post:
Daddy Fat Sacs (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
And now that I'm attuned to it, I'm hearing the bearing chatter (if that's what it is) all the time when I'm in a position to listen. Like in the garage, or next to another car in a parking lot.

Yep. This is going to drive me freaking nuts. I can feel it burrowing under my skin, making me cringe just thinking about it.
Sounds like the throw-out bearing might be going, John. Does the noise go away or change when you hold the clutch in?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Sounds like the throw-out bearing might be going, John. Does the noise go away or change when you hold the clutch in?
Exactly. Chatter goes away as soon as I push the clutch pedal, and comes right back if letting out the pedal while in neutral. However, I don't hear the noise when releasing the clutch pedal into 1st gear, even when doing it as gently as possible, but that's hard to tell because the engine/exhaust is somewhat loud.

Planning on getting a mechanic's analysis on this problem next month.

Pretty sure the situation describes a failing input shaft bearing, not the throw-out bearing. Either way, pretty disappointing for a transmission with only 39k miles on it.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-28-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
John, I'm sure you can get it replaced for less than $1000. I wouldn't say dismantling the transmission, Just replacing the clutch, flywheel and TB.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
John, I'm sure you can get it replaced for less than $1000. I wouldn't say dismantling the transmission, Just replacing the clutch, flywheel and TB.
In the context of unexpected repair bills... $1000 sucks big time.

I understand replacing the two bearings, but why replace the clutch and flywheel if it's just the bearings that are going? These are not parts I want to upgrade. Driven a few cars with aftermarket clutch/flywheel mods, and I genuinely don't want this. It certainly makes the car more aggressive and is a performance mod, but it's also freaking brutal, and I don't like it.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
In the context of unexpected repair bills... $1000 sucks big time.

I understand replacing the two bearings, but why replace the clutch and flywheel if it's just the bearings that are going? These are not parts I want to upgrade. Driven a few cars with aftermarket clutch/flywheel mods, and I genuinely don't want this. It certainly makes the car more aggressive and is a performance mod, but it's also freaking brutal, and I don't like it.
While I do agree that a $1000 repair sucks royally, honestly in my opinion, you have to pretty much pull those parts to get to the bearings. So the labor cost is pretty much covered. Also, I do believe that some parts that go bad can directly affect the longevity of related parts. Even if you don't want to upgrade the clutch, there are usually aftermarket options that don't necessarily increase clutch stiffness but that may be better quality than OEM and similar, if not less, money overall. I'd hate for this to be a potential concern in another year or two.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I would think parts alone would be close to $1K.

I've always been under the impression the 6MT was the weakest link in our cars, which was a determining factor in opting for the extended warranty.

Sucks, I wonder though, considering how little you drive, if you can just ride this out until it completely fails.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Sucks, I wonder though, considering how little you drive, if you can just ride this out until it completely fails.
That has occurred to me. Now that I'm attuned to hearing the situation, I can monitor if it gets worse. Or at least, I hope I can tell if it's getting worse. At that point I think I'll have zero options except to get the transmission repaired. You may recall, I lived with a squeaky rear damper for an entire year before swapping the OEM dampers back in. Granted, that literally was less than 3000 miles.

Anyway... in July I'm going to have my mechanic flush & fill coolant, brake and clutch fluid. While there and on the lift, I'll have him assess this problem. The more research I do on the symptoms, the more convinced I am that it's the input shaft bearing, and that's something that could be like this for years before becoming a serious problem, if ever.

In the meantime, the conversation with my wife will be awkward.

"You said you wouldn't spend money on the car this year."
But this is a repair.

"Why would this be broken with so few miles?"
Because it is.

"Why repair something on a car you barely drive?"
Because it's broken.

"Why do you even own this car?"
Good question.

This here, at the 20 sec mark, although in my case the chatter is much, much quieter than this racket, but essentially the same situation. Input shaft bearing.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
You may recall, I lived with a squeaky rear damper for an entire year before swapping the OEM dampers back in. Granted, that literally was less than 3000 miles.
I recall. I also know, and I say this because I've been there, that as an enthusiast, something like this can completely taint what amounts to a hobby.

But this is a repair.

Because it is.

Because it's broken.

Good question.

That's a slippery slope, especially where you are with kids and college--ghost of Christmas future for me. The logical next step in ones spouses mind: why do we need this aggravation and expense?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I recall. I also know, and I say this because I've been there, that as an enthusiast, something like this can completely taint what amounts to a hobby.
Yes, I know. And I know that you know that I know you know.

Sigh.

That's a slippery slope, especially where you are with kids and college--ghost of Christmas future for me. The logical next step in ones spouses mind: why do we need this aggravation and expense?
Again, yes. Exactly. The next 8 years will be filled with college expenses, and there will come a time, quickly, where the car will start looking like a money pit.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I would think parts alone would be close to $1K.

I've always been under the impression the 6MT was the weakest link in our cars, which was a determining factor in opting for the extended warranty.

Agree'd that a 1k out of the blue repair sux. But I'm was looking at prices for replacements OEM replacement parts "Valeo cluthc kit" was only $280.99, and I have read different things on the flywheel, you can reuse it, you can't reuse it. Sorry I have never had a Infiniti 6 spd so these are things I have read. But when I did my 6 puck on my EVO 8 and lightened flywheel I spent under 1K on everything. :/
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Added a couple more words for your responses

But this is a repair.

Because it is 9 yrs old and things wear out.

Because it's broken. And it is cheaper than recurring car payments.

Good question. ... because we don’t have payments left

The following 2 users liked this post by Nico-derm:
ngolbuff (06-29-2018), r2dmax (06-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread