Heat shield?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
Heat shield?
so quick google search of a heat shield shows those lovely blankets on my windshield, which i do not have. So are you saying i should get one or its something unbeknownst to me?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
so quick google search of a heat shield shows those lovely blankets on my windshield, which i do not have. So are you saying i should get one or its something unbeknownst to me?
Heat shields around your cats.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Dopeness

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
rather than start a new thread, figured i would ask here. Noticed this morning that when i'm at a complete stop in drive (only) i hear this subtle small rattling sound on the passenger side towards the front. The rattling isnt like metal clinking though. I didnt hear it once i started moving or in any other gear...anyone have a similar problem/know what could be going on?
The upper left corner of my glovebox rattles sometimes when I stop in drive. Had to install 2 soft side Velcro dots to stop it. Rattles in my car drive me insane.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
rather than start a new thread, figured i would ask here. Noticed this morning that when i'm at a complete stop in drive (only) i hear this subtle small rattling sound on the passenger side towards the front. The rattling isnt like metal clinking though. I didnt hear it once i started moving or in any other gear...anyone have a similar problem/know what could be going on?

Originally Posted by Dopeness
The upper left corner of my glovebox rattles sometimes when I stop in drive. Had to install 2 soft side Velcro dots to stop it. Rattles in my car drive me insane.
My glove box used to do the same thing... Just a slight vibrating/rattling sound when stopped but in gear. Anyone having the same issue and just push on the upper left hand portion of their glove box to confirm if the sound is coming from the same place. I used some foam tape between the upper left hand edge of the glove box and the dash. Glove box has been rattle free for 5+ years now.

I also get a similar vibrating/rattling sound if I leave a partially empty water bottle in the passenger's side door cup holder. Oddly it doesn't make the same noise when I use the driver's side door cup holder.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:48 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Here, this is what I'm talking about. The camera flash actually made the center more light in color than the surrounding gunmetal. In reality, they're pretty closely matched, just that the vinyl isn't metallic.

No matter how you cut it (no pun), a solid center looks better than the silly screenprinted text.

Looks really good, John. From someone that's constantly told I'm overly detail oriented I've got to compliment you on your level of detail. Bravo!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Thanks, I'll look at mine tomorrow. I checked all my front and rear strut bolts and sway bar bolts last week, they were all good. still clunks. Also like i said before all new hotchkis bushings and energy suspension grease. But I didn't really look at the bushing closely.
The upper control arm bushings aren't easy to check so they are often overlooked when trying to track down the source of strange suspension sounds.

Recently I've been putting a new suspension on my Porsche. I had originally thought my major issue was the lower ball joint until I got the suspension apart and discovered one of the control arms bushings was completely separated from the housing. Suffice it to say, I've now purchased replacement bushings and joints for the entire suspension and steering so I can do a complete overhaul on the suspension and steering.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
Can also be a loose catalyst in your catalytic converter.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Figured I'd post this from a recent meet/BBQ we had (the one Rochester came to last year )
Hoping someone comes out with a better vid, but this will do for now. (not mine)
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I cannot believe people were blowing donuts in a field.... and that one G owner didn't realize he'd get hung up backing out"?

Show me the picture of John blowing donuts last year
Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
I cannot believe people were blowing donuts in a field.... and that one G owner didn't realize he'd get hung up backing out"?

Show me the picture of John blowing donuts last year
Lol, last year there were no donuts.

The mud drifting was so dumb... the Scion FRS completely mangled his new splitter, one Z ripped off his rear diffuser. Two years ago, someone broke a wheel lol. The disclaimer from the host before you enter that field is "if you break your ****, it ain't my problem".

That dude backing into the spot tried like 10 different angles. Thats was his best attempt lol. Ended up fine. Static life... lol
Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Watching those kids "drifting" in that little fenced-in area was one of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen people do with cars they profess to care about. That was the thing I didn't understand. You do that kind of crap with a hooptie, not a lovingly modified car.

I simply didn't understand what was going on. But hey, I'm old, so...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Watching those kids "drifting" in that little fenced-in area was one of the most irresponsible things I've ever seen people do with cars they profess to care about. That was the thing I didn't understand. You do that kind of crap with a hooptie, not a lovingly modified car.

I simply didn't understand what was going on. But hey, I'm old, so...
Yeah, only thing is, a few of those kids were in their 40's lol
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
Yeah, only thing is, a few of those kids were in their 40's lol
Very few. Pretty sure the avg age that day was 25.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:26 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Very few. Pretty sure the avg age that day was 25.
Yup. I was just surprised to see the older guys hit the dirt. This year overall, the turnout was a lot younger. A lot more riced out cars than before, but at the same time, quite a few more properly done cars. 8 forced induction cars that were N/A last year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread