Sedan Chat Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I'm getting tempted again...
2013 Nissan 370Z NISMO Dublin OH 14436702

Looks really nice! Too bad that other Nismo is an auto... I'm not a huge fan of red cars but that Nismo really looks great in red for some reason.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Test drive it. Get it out of your system... Or give in and commit. There is no wrong advice, really.

No wait. Good advice would be to avoid large decisions motivated by big emotional moments. Live in the moment, but make decisions outside it.

Great advise, John. I made way too many impulse decisions when I was younger. Thankfully I've learned to be more prudent in my decision making as I've gotten older.

Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I can vouch for their show space, it's amazingly loaded with cars I can only dream of affording! Earlier this year, there was an Aventador that I was drooling over! I used to visit them on lunch breaks just before getting my G. The salesmen are all great car enthusiasts and treat you like family.

Hey Roger. Are you from the Columbus area? I lived in the Cincinnati area for years and spent many fun weekends up at Ohio State when I was younger. I also had a friend that just recently purchased a 911 Turbo from The Toy Barn. He's has actually purchased several cars from them and says he's always very pleased with his purchase experience there.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Looks really nice! Too bad that other Nismo is an auto... I'm not a huge fan of red cars but that Nismo really looks great in red for some reason.

Great advise, John. I made way too many impulse decisions when I was younger. Thankfully I've learned to be more prudent in my decision making as I've gotten older.

Hey Roger. Are you from the Columbus area? I lived in the Cincinnati area for years and spent many fun weekends up at Ohio State when I was younger. I also had a friend that just recently purchased a 911 Turbo from The Toy Barn. He's has actually purchased several cars from them and says he's always very pleased with his purchase experience there.
Yes sir! I moved here in 2006, and love it! The Toy Barn is an awesome place to visit and purchase from! It's unlike any auto store I've ever been to. I love going there for no particular reason, just for the atmosphere and company. Those guys are great and will let you test drive nearly anything within reason.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Anyone in the Tampa, Florida area that has a sedan with stock exhaust and resonated test pipes installed? I would like to meet up and see how it sounds. I feel youtube doesn't do it any justice.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Anyone in the Tampa, Florida area that has a sedan with stock exhaust and resonated test pipes installed? I would like to meet up and see how it sounds. I feel youtube doesn't do it any justice.
Resonated TP's would only be a subtle change. I had resonated cats with the OEM exhaust for about a year. It was slightly deeper, and slightly louder, but only so much that you could tell side-by-side with a Sedan that has a full stock exhaust. All that said, a stock Coupe exhaust still sounds better.

Baby steps, man.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I had muffler deletes which sounded great, the only gripe being the 3krpm drone you get while accelerating. Did the resonated hfc give any drone at all? I know the muffler delete was quiet at speed and idle. Only reason I am looking into the test pipes is I am focusing on the true power adders (intake, test pipes, tune).
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Did the resonated hfc give any drone at all?
Nope. Nothing I would describe as drone or rasp. Just a slightly deeper sound and a little extra grunt.

It's all so subjective. If someone wanted to keep noise to a minimum, but be just a bit more than normal, while getting a small but noticeable bump in power gain... there's a good argument to be made for keeping the OEM catback, and messing with your cats.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:44 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I run 15mm adapters in the winter with OEM 18's... about 4 months at a stretch, and done it twice now. Never had a problem.

Oh hey... for anyone in the chat thread who wasn't part of the meet-up last weekend:

2016 MyG37 Annual Car Meet - YouTube
LOL... The image stabilization software you used made it look like the cars are jumping to the music.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Jeremiah22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some direction

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
I changed out my resonators when the tanabes i bought sounded the same as the oem exhaust.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ound-clip.html

so now i have tanabes with vibrant resonators.
hi I have had a 2009 G37 for 5 years now and while I love driving it I'm not even a beginner mechanic and hence don't want to mess with it. I recently hit 80,000 miles on it and am thinking of getting one subtle upgrade. I was doing research and found the STILLEN cold air CARB approved intake to my liking. I live in Elk Grove which is right by Sacramento and since you are from Sac was wondering if you would know where I can take my car to get this installed. I appreciate your help sir. Jeremiah
Old 08-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Some time ago, I b1tched about how my car wasn't always responding to the ignition button. I'd press it, and nothing would happen. Then I'd press it again, and either the car would start, or it would go into ready mode after which pressing it again shuts every thing down, and I'd have to press it a third time, hoping it would start. This isn't a 100% occurrence. I'd peg it around 20% of the time. And it feels like it's getting worse.

I got to thinking maybe it was the battery in my key fob. So I bought a new battery, and started getting in the habit of putting the key in the slot on the dash. Welp, that wasn't it.
  • Should I disconnect the battery and reset the ECU?
  • Is my starter itself going bad?
  • Is the little electric clutch switch on the RJM pedal misaligned?
  • Any thoughts... anyone?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Some time ago, I b1tched about how my car wasn't always responding to the ignition button. I'd press it, and nothing would happen. Then I'd press it again, and either the car would start, or it would go into ready mode after which pressing it again shuts every thing down, and I'd have to press it a third time, hoping it would start. This isn't a 100% occurrence. I'd peg it around 20% of the time. And it feels like it's getting worse.

I got to thinking maybe it was the battery in my key fob. So I bought a new battery, and started getting in the habit of putting the key in the slot on the dash. Welp, that wasn't it.
  • Should I disconnect the battery and reset the ECU?
  • Is my starter itself going bad?
  • Is the little electric clutch switch on the RJM pedal misaligned?
  • Any thoughts... anyone?
i think 1 and 3. Doesn't sound like a starter problem, sounds like a problem of the starter not knowing to start the car. Probably wouldn't hurt to verify that the starter buttons plug is fully seated either.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I disconnected the battery this evening... guess I'll see how that goes.

Suppose I can check out the clutch pedal switch easily enough, although it really is a PITA to crawl into the foot well. It's very possible that switch has backed off on the threads keeping it in place.

Starter button plug fully seated? You mean the harness connector to the plug? I guess I could check that too, but I've never replaced the starter switch, like with the GTR button. I know that's a common mod, but it never felt like something I'd care to pursue, so the switch and harness are exactly as they were when the car rolled off assembly.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:49 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
So I won a draw last week. All work that needs to be done will be done for free and I get a new transmission. Mechanic finds a wood screw in my tire and my inner cv boot is ripped in half while installing the rear camber kit. Good news is that all will be done free. Apparently my transmission had metal shavings grinding inside, a common flaw in a very small number of the cars from late 2011 to 2014. 1 in 500 have a chance of having this happen. They had my vin number, and because I answer their surveys, I got picked out of a hat. Moral of the story, answer your service surveys lol.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I disconnected the battery this evening... guess I'll see how that goes.
Does the LCD display indicate anything when the car won't start? (clutch message or key message)

Try putting the fob in the port an see if this happens. I am thinking it is
IVIS/NATS related.

Also, since our ECUs don't run on Windows, there is no need to "reset the ECU"
Old 08-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey SonicVQ, thanks for thinking about ideas on this problem.

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Does the LCD display indicate anything when the car won't start? (clutch message or key message)
I honestly don't know, but will start trying to be aware of it. What's typical for seemingly random stuff like this, awareness creeps up slowly when trying to find a pattern. Good point about the "clutch" message in the little LCD screen. I'll look for that.

I believe when the car senses the fob in range, and a driver is in the driver's seat, then the "clutch" statement is shown indicating you need to press the clutch pedal in order to start the car... right? I should go look at the Owners Manual.

Try putting the fob in the port an see if this happens. I am thinking it is IVIS/NATS related.
I have been using the port. It doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

Also, since our ECUs don't run on Windows, there is no need to "reset the ECU"
LOL, I hear you.

MS bashing aside (and justifiably warranted), I have a number of things that settle down into normal operating behavior after cycling. The router and the TV come to mind.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Q.Gsxr
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some time ago, I b1tched about how my car wasn't always responding to the ignition button. I'd press it, and nothing would happen. Then I'd press it again, and either the car would start, or it would go into ready mode after which pressing it again shuts every thing down, and I'd have to press it a third time, hoping it would start. This isn't a 100% occurrence. I'd peg it around 20% of the time. And it feels like it's getting worse. I got to thinking maybe it was the battery in my key fob. So I bought a new battery, and started getting in the habit of putting the key in the slot on the dash. Welp, that wasn't it.[*]Should I disconnect the battery and reset the ECU?[*]Is my starter itself going bad?[*]Is the little electric clutch switch on the RJM pedal misaligned?[*]Any thoughts... anyone?
Hey Rochester,
found this service bulletin online. Hope it helps

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-024.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread