G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:40 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Been quite busy lately but will have a forthcoming review of the new RacingBrake pads I installed: (XT970's in the front and XT960's in the rear) a few weeks ago. They're spec'd for track use, but they're performing beautifully on the street and not making a peep worth of noise.

Fronts: http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Pad...pd1346-397.htm

Rears: http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Pad...pd1347-396.htm

Here's a preview: The initial bite is incredible with extremely high friction and deceleration force. Pedal pressure required is dramatically lighter and as such makes the car feel a lot lighter when braking. Braking from highway speed feels like you've thrown a boat anchor out back and reversed the thrust on the jet engines...it's that kind of feel.

I switched to these pads over my previous ET500 street pads which saw in excess of 62,000 miles of duty. Brand new the RB 2-piece rotors are 32mm thick. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the rotors fared with regard to wear. Broke out my digital calipers and measured both fronts at 31.84mm thick.

So, in 62,000 miles, there was only .16 millimeters of wear on both fronts. These are probably the hardest, toughest rotors out there. I haven't been easy on them either. The ET500 pads still had probably another 7-8k miles left in them.

Yeah you pay a decent price for RacingBrake rotors, but...they'll probably outlast the life of the car. I'm a very happen customer and want to thank Warren over at RacingBrake for all of his assistance over the years.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
Find me an R8 for 65k and I'll buy it tomorrow lol

Choy I think the GTR is the way to go for sure man and the fact it's your dream car makes the decision that much simpler!

Hey Kenny, you can find a used R8 fairly easily for that kind of money. I've been looking at used R8's for about 6 months or so now and have looked at several here in Southern CA for less than $70K. One was even had very low mileage on it, but all were V8 models and I've decided if/when I get one I want a V10, which seem to go for $15K-$20K more than the V8 models.
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:12 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
so quick question to my sedan family...

if you had $65k to spend on a car would you:
A) buy a used GTR (low mileage, most likely from a dealer)
B) buy a brand new car (S4, Q50, etc)
I am single, I rarely use the back seat or the passenger seat. lol

don't plan on leasing.

and for the most part yea I narrowed it down to New S4 or Used GTR lol
Hey CC, I've been in a similar dilemma since last Summer, but I'm not even considering the S4.... I'm not a fan of the new S4 at all (maybe an S7 or RS7, but not the S4)... but instead I've been looking at used R8's and used GTR's. I've also driven the new AMG C63 S and AMG GT S. After driving it the AMG GT would be at the top of my list, but it is well out of my price range and the used ones haven't depreciated much yet. I can't stand the GTR interior or tranny, so that's pretty much narrowed it down to an R8 or AMG C63 for me. The Merc interior is far nicer than the older Audi interior, but the R8 is much nicer to look at from the outside. I think I've pretty much decided to wait until the V10 R8's get below $80K (or until the new Alfa Romeo Giulia comes out) and then I'll start looking again... Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Hey CC, I've been in a similar dilemma since last Summer, but I'm not even considering the S4.... I'm not a fan of the new S4 at all (maybe an S7 or RS7, but not the S4)... but instead I've been looking at used R8's and used GTR's. I've also driven the new AMG C63 S and AMG GT S. After driving it the AMG GT would be at the top of my list, but it is well out of my price range and the used ones haven't depreciated much yet. I can't stand the GTR interior or tranny, so that's pretty much narrowed it down to an R8 or AMG C63 for me. The Merc interior is far nicer than the older Audi interior, but the R8 is much nicer to look at from the outside. I think I've pretty much decided to wait until the V10 R8's get below $80K (or until the new Alfa Romeo Giulia comes out) and then I'll start looking again... Good luck with your decision!
Great insight! I saw an R8 but it was the V8 model so i kind of ruled it out and like others said the R8 V10 is still pretty high. I didnt think much about it but after talking with Tony who brought up Porsche I would love to get 911 but like the Audi are pretty high in price still unless you go older. Heck even the GTS or GT4 would be a fun little car, but i havent really looked into them
Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Hey Kenny, you can find a used R8 fairly easily for that kind of money. I've been looking at used R8's for about 6 months or so now and have looked at several here in Southern CA for less than $70K. One was even had very low mileage on it, but all were V8 models and I've decided if/when I get one I want a V10, which seem to go for $15K-$20K more than the V8 models.
Dang. $7.5 - $10k extra per cylinder is steep!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I honestly never knew and never even bothered looking at them but that price is pretty awesome even though it's a v8. But I agree 100% v10 is the way to go with thay car.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger on some Black Nickel R2C intakes. Kyle @ImportPartsPro always has the best pricing. Purchased my Berks HFC and Cusco FSTB from him as well. Also appreciate the help I received from Rochester and Kenny! Really bugged them with questions haha. After not driving my car for nearly two months, I finally get to see her again this Friday... hopefully with some goodies waiting for me!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Been quite busy lately but will have a forthcoming review of the new RacingBrake pads I installed: (XT970's in the front and XT960's in the rear) a few weeks ago. They're spec'd for track use, but they're performing beautifully on the street and not making a peep worth of noise.

Fronts: Brake Pad (RB XT970) - G37S 08-12 / 370Z 09-12 (Akebono) Front

Rears: Brake Pad (RB XT960) - G37S 08-12 / 370Z 09-12 (Akebono) Rear

Here's a preview: The initial bite is incredible with extremely high friction and deceleration force. Pedal pressure required is dramatically lighter and as such makes the car feel a lot lighter when braking. Braking from highway speed feels like you've thrown a boat anchor out back and reversed the thrust on the jet engines...it's that kind of feel.

I switched to these pads over my previous ET500 street pads which saw in excess of 62,000 miles of duty. Brand new the RB 2-piece rotors are 32mm thick. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the rotors fared with regard to wear. Broke out my digital calipers and measured both fronts at 31.84mm thick.

So, in 62,000 miles, there was only .16 millimeters of wear on both fronts. These are probably the hardest, toughest rotors out there. I haven't been easy on them either. The ET500 pads still had probably another 7-8k miles left in them.

Yeah you pay a decent price for RacingBrake rotors, but...they'll probably outlast the life of the car. I'm a very happen customer and want to thank Warren over at RacingBrake for all of his assistance over the years.
Nice review Matt, really need to post this in the review folder too if you don't mind. I'll have to check around that site a bit, looks like they have quite a variety of products and made in-house too!

Would be nice if they have those same pads for the Gs w/ floating calipers too.
Look forward to updates as time goes on, especially how those new pads will affect rotor wear. Sounds very impressive w/ your old pads.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
haha thanks for all the replies!

As for a NSX, Supra, or R32 I thought about it or even buying a 240 and rebuilding the thing from the ground up which probably would end up being cheaper than what I planned to spend in the first place. I think for now I just want a car I can jump in to not worry about anything and drive the ever living **** out of.
If I had 65k for a "part-time" toy it would be going towards a BNR34... guess I'm lucky that us Canadians can already have that monster. The R32 is nice but an early 2000's R34 is the dream tuner car in my eyes
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
On the more exciting side (at least for me), I have the lift booked for tomorrow and Friday night... finally going to be able to change the sig. I have a four hour slot each day so hopefully everything goes to plan.

Hotchis Sways
Stillen Crank pulley
FI Cats/Exhaust
RJM Pedal

Will be the first time turning wrenches on this platform... kinda excited
Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
finally going to be able to change the sig
That's pretty funny.

I laugh, but I also keenly recall the first time I modified the car and thought to create a sig line.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:04 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
On the more exciting side (at least for me), I have the lift booked for tomorrow and Friday night... finally going to be able to change the sig. I have a four hour slot each day so hopefully everything goes to plan.

Hotchis Sways
Stillen Crank pulley
FI Cats/Exhaust
RJM Pedal

Will be the first time turning wrenches on this platform... kinda excited
Impact wrench is a life saver!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
If I had 65k for a "part-time" toy it would be going towards a BNR34... guess I'm lucky that us Canadians can already have that monster. The R32 is nice but an early 2000's R34 is the dream tuner car in my eyes
oh for sure hands down if I could legally get an R34 I would take it in a heartbeat
Old 06-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Indeed! Otherwise your 4 hour window could go rather quickly
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Great insight! I saw an R8 but it was the V8 model so i kind of ruled it out and like others said the R8 V10 is still pretty high. I didnt think much about it but after talking with Tony who brought up Porsche I would love to get 911 but like the Audi are pretty high in price still unless you go older. Heck even the GTS or GT4 would be a fun little car, but i havent really looked into them

Hey CC. You can definitely find a decent late model 911 in your price range. A few months back I found a 2013 Carrera S 7-spd out here in San Diego with just 10K miles on it for $76K. I'm not much of a 911 fan (I'm not a rear engine car fan and already have a 1991 Porsche S2 Cab at home), but was looking for a buddy of mine. He ended up finding a 2009 997.2 Carrera 4S Cab 6-Spd with only 34K miles on it for $59K. He had to drive all the way down to Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta to pick it up (he lives in Cincinnati), but the car is pristine, so it was worth the drive. Now a Cayman GT4 would be more up my alley.. you should look into those. Or even a late model DB9 (after they got rid of the Land Rover engine LOL) or a Jaguar F-Type... I have a friend that has one of those and it has one of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard on a car!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice review Matt, really need to post this in the review folder too if you don't mind. I'll have to check around that site a bit, looks like they have quite a variety of products and made in-house too!

Would be nice if they have those same pads for the Gs w/ floating calipers too.
Look forward to updates as time goes on, especially how those new pads will affect rotor wear. Sounds very impressive w/ your old pads.

Very nice review indeed! Love hearing good things about Racing Brake products.

The guys at Racing Brake are very good guys and are fairly local to me here in SoCal. They used my car years ago for the test fit for their 2-Pc rotors, and we even organized the original Group Buy for their rotors over on G35Driver back when they were forum sponsors. I would recommend them and their products to anyone that interested in upgrading their brakes. Like Twin Sails, I've now got around 50K miles on the rotors and they have performed flawlessly and I have seen very little wear on them (although I have not measured them)... thank to TS for that! I'm now on my 3rd set of pads. One set was the Racing Brake pads like TS is running, but I found those to be a bit too grabby for street use, especially once they get hot, but to each their own... I'm now running my second set of Hawk HPS and absolutely love these pads. They stop on a dime, don't fade, never make a peep, and don't generate much brake dust. Not much I would change about them. Yes, the Racing Brake pads are provide more grip IMO, and if I was tracking the car I would probably run them instead.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2GoRNot2G:
blnewt (06-08-2016), ChinkyChoy (06-08-2016), twin_snails (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread