G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
Originally Posted by KEG97
Do you have kids?

I hate that we have a 3.5 car garage and can barely fit 3 cars in there! Bikes, sports equipment, etc.
Oh man... if I had a 3.5 car garage, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have my G. I'd have my wife's car, a reliable DD, and a toy that was just a toy.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yup, two girls, 3 and 1. 1/3 of my garage is strollers and bikes and wagons.
Two girls here, too... 14 and 11. Very happy.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Speaking of exhausts, is it correct that 2.5" is too big for NA and more suited for Forced Induction applications? Is the standard upgrade path to go with 2.25" and when you get FI, buy a larger exhaust and try to sell the 2.25"...or is it OK to go 2.5" with NA, and either eventually add FI or decide not to and keep it 2.5" with NA?
2.5" can be used for either in an NA or FI application. It is possible that you may net a few extra HP for the larger piping but don't put any sort of guarantee on that. Larger diameter piping will create more cabin drone when cruising at certain RPMs. Remember to keep that in mind when purchasing.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Also, I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced an exhaust rattle with an aftermarket system that is similar to my scenario.

Current:
Fast Intentions RHFC
Fast Intentions CBE w/ X-pipe + no resonators
Mid-brace is REMOVED

I currently get a rattling noise around 3k RPM and it's +/- 100 RPM around the 3k RPM point. I've checked the shield around the mid pipe and it all seems to be nice and snug in place. Could it be my FI mufflers already? The system is less than a year old.

When I'm swapping my drive fluid this weekend or next week, I'll take a closer look at what may be causing the issue - just thought I pick the brains of all you geniuses here.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Also, I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced an exhaust rattle with an aftermarket system that is similar to my scenario.

Current:
Fast Intentions RHFC
Mid-brace is REMOVED

I currently get a rattling noise around 3k RPM and it's +/- 100 RPM around the 3k RPM point. I've checked the shield around the mid pipe and it all seems to be nice and snug in place. Could it be my FI mufflers already? The system is less than a year old.

When I'm swapping my drive fluid this weekend or next week, I'll take a closer look at what may be causing the issue - just thought I pick the brains of all you geniuses here.
Did you check to make sure that all of your nuts and bolts are still tightened down?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Did you check to make sure that all of your nuts and bolts are still tightened down?
I sure did, yes. Actually, I think I triple checked every single one - paranoia kicked in LOL. And something I noticed is that the noise takes place more often on a cold start and remains active when the car breaks 3k RPM. As it gets warmer, the rattle exists when give it a bit more throttle than regular "grandpa" driving. I'm starting to wonder if the heat shield is vibrating while it is cold and reduces the noise it makes as it gets heated up by the hot exhaust pipe? Just another thought.

I'll hop in the car while my buddy puts it up in the air and see if he can identify where the noise is coming from by being underneath the vehicle.

It's just a really embarrassing noise, TBH.

On a side note, I did find out I have a small leak between my FI RHFCs and my X-pipe. The new cats come with the Z1 metal gasket and I believe a regular 2-hole gasket - both of which have better reviews that the crap ones that I used for the install.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Check your heat shields and see if maybe one of them may have gotten bent and is vibrating against the body of the car.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Check your heat shields and see if maybe one of them may have gotten bent and is vibrating against the body of the car.
Fingers are crossed that the heat shield is the culprit.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
Fingers are crossed that the heat shield is the culprit.
Dust shields behind the calipers can make all kinds of weird resonant noises when compromised. Worth a look.

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Speaking of exhausts, is it correct that 2.5" is too big for NA and more suited for Forced Induction applications?
No. Most aftermarket exhausts for this car have 2.5" pipes. And the OEM exhaust on the Coupe is closer to 2.5" than 2.25", IIRC. The wider pipes should (hope) give a deeper tone, and likely a few extra HP when tuned; but it also introduces in-cabin drone... hence the resonated cats, and 18" resonators on the catback; (knock on wood).

It's all pretty subjective, G37Xtreme. And qualifying the topic as a binary choice between what is "correct" or not is over-thinking things. I mean, you're right about having a large diameter exhaust with a custom FI setup. But in the context of bolt-on mods for a NA car, the difference between 2.25" and 2.5" doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-03-2015 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Motoboat (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Dust shields behind the calipers can make all kinds of weird resonant noises when compromised. Worth a look.
I'll check that out however I can produce the same noise by simply revving the motor.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Yup, two girls, 3 and 1. 1/3 of my garage is strollers and bikes and wagons.

The biggest issue with fitting 3 cars is my wife's parking. She likes being the only car in a 2 car garage
I figured Either that or you had some pimpin' tractor you loved. You'll just be replacing strollers with bikes, scooters, and sports bags. I don't think it ever ends.

Thankfully my wife is A-OK at parking. She's got an end spot and can manage the hard 90 degree turn with no issue. Then again her QX has sensors front/rear and is pretty dummy proof. My buddy's wife struggles with getting her SUV into their 3 car garage. Granted it's got single doors on each bay but she's lost both side mirrors over the past 2 years even though it's a straight shot right up the driveway. Over 1K each on a Land Rover
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Oh man... if I had a 3.5 car garage, I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have my G. I'd have my wife's car, a reliable DD, and a toy that was just a toy.

Two girls here, too... 14 and 11. Very happy.
With your girls ages, you're probably getting closer to getting that toy than me. My kids are 10, 6, & 4. I've got the 4 cars in my sig, but am strongly considering getting rid of my Miata. I love the go-cart feel, but I rarely drive it since it's only a two seater and the wife doesn't want the kids in it. She's obviously willing to sacrifice me in it though

I got the Q7 when we were pregnant with our 3rd and felt we had to have two large vehicles. I like it but find that I drive either the QX when all 5 of us go out or the G if it's me and less than 3 kids.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Current:
Fast Intentions RHFC
Mid-brace is REMOVED

Had the same issue with just Berks and Tanabe axle back. It was a high pitched pinging raspy sound coming from the center... Embarrassing to say the least. So I bought a catback and upon installing I noticed some pebbles stuck between the center heat shield and the body. The noise is all be eliminated.

Is it safe to remove heat shields above mufflers and mid pipe?
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Stopped at costco over lunch for gas and champagne and had the auto center check top off my tire pressure--I measured 30 psi in both fronts, 29 in the rear. I was kinda surprised they were down that low
That would be the coefficient of thermal expansion, or in this case, contraction. It's probably colder than when you had them installed. It's pretty accurate to figure a 1 psi change in air pressure for every 10°F of temperature change. I usually run 36 psi in the front and 34 in the rear because I love a taut ride.

BTW, Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I'm hardly skilled at finance, but it's pretty silly to conflate fees with taxes. Since you're 0:2 on your analogies this afternoon, it's almost as if you're motivated by something other than actually making sense. Didn't you find what you wanted in your stocking this year?

What did you get for your car over the holidays? I suspect you bought yourself something recently, eh?
I will say that if I had the choice between paying cash for a car or financing it at a nice APR, I'll choose financing and using the bank's money any day of the week. The finance charge is negligible compared to what I can earn on my cash if I invest it. Yes that's a risk as well...but, it's pretty easy to get 8-10% returns by investing in safe investments.

I've played the lottery before and paid the tax because the elation of the idea of possibly winning overrides the reality of the math. But it's nice to dream for that short duration of time between the purchase of the ticket and the drawing.

Last edited by twin_snails; 01-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Current:
Fast Intentions RHFC
Mid-brace is REMOVED

Connor, does it sound like a pinging noise by chance? I'm experiencing that but only when I'm really getting on it...probably 70% throttle. It sounds like ball bearings in the cats or something metal reverberating like a heat shield somewhere. Need to have that checked out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread