G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
I pointed that out to Chris on Facebook VQNation page I believe if he recognizes the shiftknob in the picture haha It would've been easier if you were on facebook John.

That custom support looks good John, better be safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Got a link for that, Willis?

Speaking of HFCs and such, I recently got an exhaust leak right in between the HFCs and the headers and that caused a SES light to come on, the reason for that was the Berk soft crush graphite gaskets have blown out, and I invested in the Z1 New multilayered steel HR/VHR Manifold 3 Bolt Gaskets, only to find out that not one side but both sides had leaks, and now with these gaskets I won't have anything to worry about, as these are superior quality reusable gaskets.

Z1 Metal HR/VHR Manifold 3 Bolt Gaskets

While the car was on the lift, I had a look at my Berk HFCs and how they are mounted up to the crossbrace to support the weight of the exhaust, and glad that there are mounts on HFCs connected and supported by that crossbrace as the next mounting points for the exhaust are all the way back by where the mid pipe resonators go into the axle back.

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-20-2014 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Let me see if I can find it. It was on the FB VQ Nation page I think.

Thought it was on the G37 coupe/sedan page
Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
Thought it was on the G37 coupe/sedan page
Found it, it was on V36 Sedans page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Good call guys, I can't keep track but I knew I saw it. Robbie has pretty good taste, looking forward to see what he winds up with.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:00 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Yea he's always coming up with neat things
Old 12-22-2014, 02:22 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Just posted my initial thoughts on my newest mods in my build thread including Takeda long tube CAI, Motordyne M370, Hotchkiss sways with Whiteline endlinks, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech slotted rotors, Motul brake fluid, and Cusco FSTB. Go check it out!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:38 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Agreed.

Here's another on-topic question: wouldn't the car handle better when dropped equidistant to OEM height specifications? I'm thinking if the car were modified so that the rear fender-gap were to match the front fender-gap... that would be less than optimal, from a handling POV.

And while that might be true, perhaps no so much as to notice or matter.

That, I dunno.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Suspensions have multiple moving parts all w/ their own variance, when it all adds up there will be some differences, just a nature of the mechanics involved. When you put all new lowering springs on a G for example and go to measure side to side it's very rare to have an exact match. An eighth of an inch is pretty normal IME.

I'd say that 50+ lbs of lead in the battery would maybe account for that 1/8 of an inch difference between driver and passenger side front.

I'm going to re-post this comment here, because we were talking about it. Alfredo wanted the same info, so this is in his thread, too. I wish I had pics, and I wholly intended to. But when I whipped out the camera, I discovered the battery was back at home in the charger. I had one of the guys take pics, but they got spammed out of my email, probably because of file-size. (sigh). If ever get them, I'll be sure and pass it along. If not, then Springtime, when the catback goes on the car.

Anyway, here's my feedback on the topic:
A small block of metal, like the size of a biggish domino, was very securely welded to the mid-pipe section of each RHFC, with two holes drilled through each. On the other side of each hole, a nut was welded on; (to avoid crescent wrench BS in tight spaces.)

The OEM support beam had the 1" turned-up ends cut off, and a length of L-shaped metal was then welded to the OEM support piece, turning it into a large D-shape, if you can visualize that.

The whole thing bolts right back up where it was originally mounted on the transmission, using the two OEM bolts with bushings, and two new bolts on each corner into the customized section.

Then all the edges were trimmed up, and everything was painted. I have to say, it looks extraordinarily OEM at first glance. It's really a superior, creative piece of work. Welding and creative solutions are this guy's forte. I'm am seriously impressed.

As for changes... there is ZERO vibration now from the exhaust! I'm rather shocked about that. So that's a huge win... that and the confidence in knowing I may have headed off a cat-failure down the road.
[edit] Just got the pics! Here, this should be self-explanatory:

John, that looks fantastic! Depending on what I do, I may have this same mod done on my RHFC's. Thanks to you and Matt for being pioneers and taking on this project.

More on the ride-height discussion from the other day...

I measured pavement to fender lip today. It was bitter cold, but this whole thing is getting me super curious. Plus, yesterday I spoke to my mechanic about the idea of customizing a set of ES coil bushings into the cone-shaped bumper-stop on the rears. We were eye-balling that idea while the car was up on the lift, and he's totally good with it. So, with consideration to duckfeet and snow tires at OEM spec'd size:
  • Driver Front - 27"
  • Driver Rear - 26 3/8"
  • Passenger Front - 26 7/8"
  • Passenger Rear - 26 4/8"

Some immediate observations:
  • While I assumed the parking lot I was using was level, it seems either that's a really hard scenario to find, my measuring skills are less than accurate, or being off by 1/8" give or take is just a normal thing. I'm thinking all three.
  • There is a 3/8" to 5/8" inch difference in gap from tire to fender between the front and back.

Final analysis (for me), let's split the difference, and say that RWD Swift Springs result in a 1/2" discontinuity in vertical fender gap front to rear. That's irrespective of how level the frame of the car is, or how asymmetrical the two fender wheel arches are to one another.

The million dollar question (or $300 question, as the case may be), is whether or not lifting the rear end 1/2" is going to cause my rear Vossens to poke in a way that's noticeable. I don't know that answer. If I put a floor jack and a block of wood under the rear diff, and jacked it a 1/2", maybe...?

And if you look at the available options for Energy Suspension Coil-Spring isolators: Energy Suspension 9.6120 Coil Spring Isolators - Style A - 96120 Made by Energy Suspension ...you'll see that there are only two choices in the diameters that would work. One is Part #9.6120 at 5/8", and the other is Part #9.6101 at 3/8". So I suppose if I'm worried about poke because of a lift, then I should probably consider the 3/8" bushing over the 5/8" bushing.

That makes some sense. At least, today it does.

I'd venture to guess the battery is the culprit for that 1/8" difference between driver and passenger front. May not sound like much weight but it can have an impact. For grins, maybe measure your car's ride height when the gas tank is on empty and then again when it's full. I'd venture to guess that makes a difference as well in the measurements.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Just posted my initial thoughts on my newest mods in my build thread including Takeda long tube CAI, Motordyne M370, Hotchkiss sways with Whiteline endlinks, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech slotted rotors, Motul brake fluid, and Cusco FSTB. Go check it out!

Kirk, your car is looking great! You must have been like a kid on Christmas morning getting all of those parts installed at one time! It's like enjoying your car all over again with the mods on isn't it?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
For grins, maybe measure your car's ride height when the gas tank is on empty and then again when it's full. I'd venture to guess that makes a difference as well in the measurements.
Oh, that's a good idea. Very interesting.

You do it, man. Put a tape measure in your car and take some measurements before/after the next time you fill up on empty.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Oh, that's a good idea. Very interesting.

You do it, man. Put a tape measure in your car and take some measurements before/after the next time you fill up on empty.
I'm all for it, but also note that I'm at a bastardized form of stock ride height. Koni Yellow's on stock springs raised my ride height in the front somewhat, but the rears stayed the same for the most part. I didn't log any hard measurements on that. Just before and then after...which I didn't write down

Gas weighs between 6 and 6.5 lbs per gallon, depending on the specific gravity of course. So at that rate, a full tank of can be equivalent to up to 100+ lbs of weight on the suspension. Nevertheless, I'll give it a go the next time I fill up which should be in the next day or so.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I'm all for it, but also note that I'm at a bastardized form of stock ride height. Koni Yellow's on stock springs raised my ride height in the front somewhat, but the rears stayed the same for the most part. I didn't log any hard measurements on that. Just before and then after...which I didn't write down. Nevertheless, I'll give it a go the next time I fill up which should be in the next day or so.
Me too. Although with a half tank in the car, and winter all around, it will probably be a few weeks before I'm on empty.

I drove it a bit yesterday and today, and I am all smiles about how smooth 1st and 2nd gear shifts are again. Feel kind of foolish, actually. I should have known better last spring after the cats were installed.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Me too. Although with a half tank in the car, and winter all around, it will probably be a few weeks before I'm on empty.

I drove it a bit yesterday and today, and I am all smiles about how smooth 1st and 2nd gear shifts are again. Feel kind of foolish, actually. I should have known better last spring after the cats were installed.
Did adding that brace back in really smooth out your shifts? Man, there must be a ton of vibration going on there. I know that sometimes at idle, mine sometimes feels like it's got the dirty throttle body lopey idle. I look down at the tach and see that I'm solid at 700-750 rpm. That was one of my minor nits with the RHFC's...the added vibration from deleting that brace. I think that should have been a no-brainer to add in when these were designed, however, I'm quite pleased to see that it can be retrofitted in very cleanly.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Only problem is if you retrofit it with the stock brace you've now lost the brace for when you go back to stock. I suppose one could buy another oem brace but bleh. Wish fast intentions thought of this.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:23 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Yeah if I do this mod, I'm going to buy another OEM piece for when I go back to stock. But yeah, that should have been considered in the design phase. The OEM part is there for good reason.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Only problem is if you retrofit it with the stock brace you've now lost the brace for when you go back to stock.
What's this "back to stock" thing you're talking about?

The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (12-22-2014), ttv36 (12-24-2014), twin_snails (12-24-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
What's this "back to stock" thing you're talking about?

When I sell this thing for a GT500/GT350......(many years down the road, lol).

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread