Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:08 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Big setback on my future modding plans. If I want a chance to get my RHFC fixed, I would have to remove them and send them over to see if they can be further fixed. The muffler's shop attempt to fix it "voided the weld warranty". So removal cost + shipping + reinstallation costs and of course the wait time. Of course, this will only work if they could be fixed. If not, waste of about $200.

No idea what to do. Very dissapointed. Might as well buy some used art pipes.

that totally sucks to hear, but they didn't say anything about the design or not having brackets?

I think I might just go through with it and when mine eventually fail hopefully a while from now I ll just get something else and ship the HFC back to FI then sell them or something or maybe they might improve their design
Old 12-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Aren't the OE lug nuts acorn designed? So I could essentially use OE type lugs instead of the shorty nuts?
If you bought adapter plates, then no. Not at all. Not even remotely.

If you bought spacers with extended studs, then sure.

What about some locktite? Is blue loctite overkill?
Come again?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you bought adapter plates, then no. Not at all. Not even remotely.

If you bought spacers with extended studs, then sure.

Come again?
Adapters with built-in studs. See, I told you I was clueless

Blue locktite. It's a bonding agent for nuts and bolts so they dont back out. Blue is designed to break free with hand tools, red requires heat to break free.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Adapters with built-in studs. See, I told you I was clueless
Then no, you'll be needing your OEM lug nuts for the duckfeet. Besides, they're a flat-washer design, not tapered, and they're huge, and you only have 20, and... and... you'll figure it out when the spacers show up. Don't sweat it.

Blue locktite. It's a bonding agent for nuts and bolts so they dont back out. Blue is designed to break free with hand tools, red requires heat to break free.
I know what Loctite is. Why in the world would you put Loctite on wheel studs? That's just wrong.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
that totally sucks to hear, but they didn't say anything about the design or not having brackets? I think I might just go through with it and when mine eventually fail hopefully a while from now I ll just get something else and ship the HFC back to FI then sell them or something or maybe they might improve their design
Nope..nothing on the design or lack of brackets. You should be fine if you get some extra hangers to support the weight. No need to worry too much.

I will be buying either HFCs or RTPs for now and then shipping the RHFCs to see what they can do.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:31 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Why in the world would you put Loctite on wheel studs? That's just wrong.
I tend to agree.

Torque them to spec and then check them after 500 miles. No need to put Loctite on there.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Nope..nothing on the design or lack of brackets. You should be fine if you get some extra hangers to support the weight. No need to worry too much.

I will be buying either HFCs or RTPs for now and then shipping the RHFCs to see what they can do.
Can you use your OEM for the time being?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Nope, no attachment point for it. Fail by FI.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:09 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Thank you sir, Velgen VMB7's.....they were my 2nd choice but I have fallen utterly in love with them. Not to sound cliche but they honestly do look better in person.
I'm loving those 295's out back man! Just curious...do you know how much those wheels weigh?

Uncharted... yeah, I hear that. Thank god for this forum.

15mm keeps the tires tucked just enough to look normal. However, you'll see once they're on the car that you could probably fine-tune the spacing even more, if you're so inclined. Maybe next year, if you keep the duckfeet, you can dial in customized spacers to the exact millimeter front & back, with extended studs instead of adapters.

Want some advice? I don't think you have to use the shorty lug nuts that comes with the adapters. I haven't test-fit the idea, but I believe there's enough room to use standard acorn-design lugnuts, the kind that are like $25/set on Amazon. Check it out, and you'll see what I'm getting at. I didn't do it with mine, because I didn't think of it until later, and now it's winter. Seriously, we've had 6" of snow in the last 12 hours.

Also, when mounting the spacers, use some anti-seize in-between the hub and the spacers; (not on the lugs!). For that matter, anti-seize between the spacer and the rim isn't a bad idea, too. I've been doing that for years, and it makes a huge difference before/after Winter.
John, I continue to enjoy going down the rabbit hole of obsessively thinking and rethinking things like wheel spacing down to tolerances of 1mm. I keep going back to what Brad said once about it being about how the obsession with the smallest details is what separates the nice cars from the very nice cars.

I like your roof spoiler. It's a subtle mod that adds to the over sum of the parts of all of your other mods. Bravo!

By the way, down here in Texas, I am jealous of your snow. I can say that because I don't have to deal with it very often and we seldom get that much. A few years back, we got almost 14 inches, which made an otherwise ordinary landscape look extraordinary. The appreciation of the small things.

Alfredo, man, I'm sorry to hear about your RHFC's. As I just had these put on this past summer, and based on what I've seen with your experience, I find the lack of a support bracket to be deeply concerning as it appears that this part of the exhaust is just hanging off the headers/cats. I may get an extra bracket and see about welding some tabs on to better support the weight.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
John, I continue to enjoy going down the rabbit hole of obsessively thinking and rethinking things like wheel spacing down to tolerances of 1mm. I keep going back to what Brad said once about it being about how the obsession with the smallest details is what separates the nice cars from the very nice cars.
I agree with Brad on that, too. However, there's value in knowing when to stop and say, "Good enough." Wheel fitment is one of those issues. Ditto on right height. However, everyone has their own tipping point... the trick it to get there and tip over into the happy side, rather than the b1tch b1tch b1tch side of things. There's no joy in complaining about everything.

I like your roof spoiler. It's a subtle mod that adds to the over sum of the parts of all of your other mods. Bravo!
Cool. Me too. And thank you. I keep looking at the pictures I took, convinced now that it's going back on the car this Spring.

By the way, down here in Texas, I am jealous of your snow. I can say that because I don't have to deal with it very often and we seldom get that much. A few years back, we got almost 14 inches, which made an otherwise ordinary landscape look extraordinary. The appreciation of the small things.
Dude, we got 12" just last night. Our first big dump of the year. Believe me, if I could give you my snow, I would.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I agree...there's definitely a tipping point. I'm at the crossroads now of, "Do I want to continue forward with further mods to my car question." I have some minor nits with the car that have bothered me for a while which is giving me cause to consider that. I've got a full stereo system but not sure if I'll make the effort if I plan on trading the car in the next year. It seems like a short cycle of enjoyment for the requisite work to get er done. I'm veering off topic here but I did an insurance quote on a '14 GT-R the other night for gigs and my premium increases by $1,500 for the year. And that's with a clean driving record. So, I'm rethinking that for at least a few more years. It's a lot for a car that I would only drive on weekends as a fun car. So not sure and then there's the '16 Q50...

I really like the black color as a contrast with MW. I've always liked those colors contrasting together.

Wow! That's a lot of snow for one night. I'd redirect that storm down to Texas if I could!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
If I do that, I would have to pay $120 for uninstall + shipping + $120 for reinstall.

I just ordered some MXP double resonated test pipes locally for a great deal including install. They look pretty good.

Sedan Chat Thread-uss2dc1.jpg
Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
That looks... steampunk. Cool.

and then there's the '16 Q50...
You mean, the 2016 Q60, right?
The following users liked this post:
alfredo24pr (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
If I do that, I would have to pay $120 for uninstall + shipping + $120 for reinstall.

I just ordered some MXP double resonated test pipes locally for a great deal including install. They look pretty good.

I don't see brackets on those either

or is it on the other side?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:24 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Those test pipes look sweet Alfredo!

^^^
That looks... steampunk. Cool.

You mean, the 2016 Q60, right?
No, I meant the MMC refresh for the Q50 sedan. If a 3.0L TT V6 is an option, it could, maybe, possibly, satiate my GT-R lust for a while. But then again, by very definition, lust doesn't easily go away. Ehmm.
The following users liked this post:
alfredo24pr (12-11-2014)

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread