Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
I remember seeing the techno tips on here once I wasn't a fan of it either

I cant even remember when my tips looked that good lol gonna do some heavy polishing after winter this year
Old 11-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alxmlr,
Great pics and your car looks bad ***. What is that white sticker you have on your windshield?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Life gets in the way, no doubt.

I've been working 100% from home for about two years now, and while I love the arrangement, I've slowly come to realize that I don't actually need a car. Certainly not one that comes with a monthly bank payment. (Two plus more years to go on that.)

Could be worse. Better than stamp collection, IMO.
It certainly does. Sounds like you have a nice setup working from home. That would be nice, but I think distractions would get in the way for me.

I've got a new potential issue with my car. I'm experiencing some strange behavior associated with the lockup of the torque converter while cruising at highway speeds. It's left me concerned to say the least.

When going 70mph, in regular [D] mode, my rpm is about 2,200-2,250. But, if I step into the gas sometimes, it's like it slips up to 2,500 and then back down to 2,200-2,250. I'm thinking it is unlocking which I know is dependent on throttle position and then locking back up. To reproduce this, I back off the gas a bit and then get back into it.

This morning on the way to work, I was seeing this behavior just in normal driving in [D] mode in the highest gear. It was slipping upward a 100-200 rpm. I'll post the video in a bit. Perhaps it should have it's own thread..

Originally Posted by alxmlr789
Been a bit since I've chatted, but a Photographer got some great shots of my car at my local cars and coffee this weekend. I did a quick wash but it needs some wax pretty bad.

Which wheels are you rocking there, Alx? They look fantastic!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
alxmlr789

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael440
Alxmlr,
Great pics and your car looks bad ***. What is that white sticker you have on your windshield?
Leveled Designs, It's my friends company...He is a distributor of some good quality parts. Check him out on Instagram - @LeveledDesigns

He got me all my parts. Of course installs were done myself

Originally Posted by twin_snails
It certainly does. Sounds like you have a nice setup working from home. That would be nice, but I think distractions would get in the way for me.

I've got a new potential issue with my car. I'm experiencing some strange behavior associated with the lockup of the torque converter while cruising at highway speeds. It's left me concerned to say the least.

When going 70mph, in regular [D] mode, my rpm is about 2,200-2,250. But, if I step into the gas sometimes, it's like it slips up to 2,500 and then back down to 2,200-2,250. I'm thinking it is unlocking which I know is dependent on throttle position and then locking back up. To reproduce this, I back off the gas a bit and then get back into it.

This morning on the way to work, I was seeing this behavior just in normal driving in [D] mode in the highest gear. It was slipping upward a 100-200 rpm. I'll post the video in a bit. Perhaps it should have it's own thread..

Which wheels are you rocking there, Alx? They look fantastic!
They are velgen VMB7. Large mesh/euro styled wheel but I absolutely love them. Very different than most infiniti owners run.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Soo there is few more pictures from the recent photoshoot on Saturday that I'd like to share, which I personally really like too, care to share your opinion? more than welcome

and so far 2 rolling shots from Sunday

and my personal very favorite

I notice, at least with the last rolling shot at most, that on my computer screen it isn't as sharp and as it is for example on my phone's screen where it just looks beautiful, but I guess it is the computer's screen , correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 11-11-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S

This one is my favorite.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I notice, at least with the last rolling shot at most, that on my computer screen it isn't as sharp and as it is for example on my phone's screen where it just looks beautiful, but I guess it is the computer's screen , correct me if I'm wrong.
See my response in the other thread, where you cut & pasted this exact same comment.

The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM
alxmlr789

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Mike - Car is lookin great man.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Mike, that pic in the tunnel is money, framed to perfection
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Yup , the first rolling shot is my fav too! The picture isn't sharp on my screen as well but i think its because you didn't upload the full size image, which is why it is clear on your phone and not your computer.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Damn wheel spacer adapters are a PITA to install.

It took me forever to establish a good technique for keeping the front hub from turning while using the torque wrench. Very frustrating.

And then my 17mm deep socket is too thick to fit, so I had to put the duckfeet back on the corner I just removed, drive to Home Depot and buy another socket.

But I didn't realize until I got home that it was a 1/4" seat, and not a 1/2". So I used an adapter, and promptly snapped it off while torquing down the first spacer.

Now I'm dead in the water until the wife comes home with the other car.

(sigh)

I feel like an idiot.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

It took me forever to establish a good technique for keeping the front hub from turning while using the torque wrench. Very frustrating.

And then my 17mm deep socket is too thick to fit, so I had to put the duckfeet back on the corner I just removed, drive to Home Depot and buy another socket.

But I didn't realize until I got home that it was a 1/4" seat, and not a 1/2". So I used an adapter, and promptly snapped it off while torquing down the first spacer.

(sigh)

I feel like an idiot.
That could easily be a scene from Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Old 11-11-2014, 03:11 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

(sigh)

I feel like an idiot.
That's the definition of frustrating for sure.

I've learned that thin-wall sockets are becoming increasingly necessary. I couldn't even change my spark plugs with the standard spark socket. I have to go in for an oil change so I'm just going to have the dealer do it.

On securing the front hubs...any way to wedge something down onto the break pedal? I did that once but can't remember what I used, because it was one of those MacGyver "what-do-I-have-that's-available" moments.

Hmmm...stick of gum, a match and a paperclip. J/K. It did involve the use of rubber floormats to prevent whatever I wedged from moving. I can't even remember why I needed to do it now...

Oh...might have been attempting to bleed the brakes.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
On securing the front hubs...any way to wedge something down onto the break pedal? I did that once but can't remember what I used, because it was one of those MacGyver "what-do-I-have-that's-available" moments.
One approach that seems most common is to jam a screwdriver into the vents in the rotor, so that it jams up against the caliper when you torque down.

Another is a 3 foot section of 2x4, at a 45* angle crossing the hub between the studs. Torque down every *other* stud, and that gets you a star pattern.

I'm not sure which is worse: lateral stress on the studs with the wood, or stress against the caliper with the cotter-pin approach. (maybe the wrong word).

Which would you do? Maybe I could get one of my kids to press the brake pedal while I'm doing this? Oh... that's not a bad idea!

And where can I pick up a thin-wall, extended length, 6-sided, 17mm socket for a 1/2" ratchet? Auto Store?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

One approach that seems most common is to jam a screwdriver into the vents in the rotor, so that it jams up against the caliper when you torque down.

Another is a 3 foot section of 2x4, at a 45* angle crossing the hub between the studs. Torque down every *other* stud, and that gets you a star pattern.

I'm not sure which is worse: lateral stress on the studs with the wood, or stress against the caliper with the cotter-pin approach. (maybe the wrong word).

Which would you do? Maybe I could get one of my kids to press the brake pedal while I'm doing this? Oh... that's not a bad idea!

And where can I pick up a thin-wall, extended length, 6-sided, 17mm socket for a 1/2" ratchet? Auto Store?
I would utilize the kids pressing on the brake pedal FTW. Seems the easiest and quickest way to get there, assuming they're willing to oblige you.

Maybe. I would try the auto stores around. If that's not an option, there's always ordering one online.

Or there's Mac Tools but I've never tried to buy from them and I'm not sure this link will make it...looks like it's tied to my session. It is tool heaven though.

Browse By Category

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread