Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Any options on tires besides the Michelin PSS? I need size 245/45/18 and 275/40/18.
They are not available on my island and my only choice would be tirerack.com

With shipping the price goes to $1240 :|

Any second best options?
I really wanted the Michelin PSS
Toyo T1 Sports and they have them in those sizes

TreadDepot.com: Toyo Proxes T1 Sport Tires

If you call them ask for Andrew and mention myG37.com hopefully shipping won't be brutal.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 PM
GS_G37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04.

Having had both.....the S04s do everything the PSS do. And they have stiffer sidewalls, so the steering response is better.

Full disclosure: I only have 600 miles on my PSS.
I'll second this. I had the S04's on the stock 18's and loved them. I've got PSS on my 19's now (only 800 miles or so), and I can't say that they're that much better. I'll give it a few hundred more miles to be sure.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That was an excellent pull, Mike. Nicely done. Drove it like you stole it.
Thank you, Rochester, thank you, I can't stop replaying the video and get enough of it either

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Very nice Mike! Your car sounds great! And it's cool hearing the tires scratch on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.
haha thank you, and yes indeed that is cool, as on summer at now colder nights at around 50-60 past few days I guess the tires tend to get loose more and lose grip, but what really amazes me is that pop right between 2nd and 3rd shift

and that tire screech at the end wasn't 2-3 shift, it was actually 3-2 downshift

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 11-07-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04.

Having had both.....the S04s do everything the PSS do. And they have stiffer sidewalls, so the steering response is better.

Full disclosure: I only have 600 miles on my PSS.

Originally Posted by GS_G37S
I'll second this. I had the S04's on the stock 18's and loved them. I've got PSS on my 19's now (only 800 miles or so), and I can't say that they're that much better. I'll give it a few hundred more miles to be sure.
not available on 275/40/18

Originally Posted by blnewt
Toyo T1 Sports and they have them in those sizes

TreadDepot.com: Toyo Proxes T1 Sport Tires

If you call them ask for Andrew and mention myG37.com hopefully shipping won't be brutal.
Those Toyo's are pretty well priced. Also, might be able to get them locally.

Considering how many mods you've done in the last year, the parts that you used, and the cumulative cost for all that, plus shipping to PR, plus installation; and suddenly you're complaining about a few hundred dollars as the reason to compromise on the tires you really want? The tires!?!

When you put it into context like that...
Yeah..idk. The Michelin PSS besides having a great reputation are also by far the lightest tire @ 24 lbs for the 245/45/18 and 27 lbs for the 275/40/18.

I think I will regret if I don't go with the Michelin PSS. My main concern is how long will these tires last with my driving style (mostly granny driving with moderate hard accelerations).
Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I think I will regret if I don't go with the Michelin PSS. My main concern is how long will these tires last with my driving style (mostly granny driving with moderate hard accelerations).
Staggered sizes have a 15,000 mile warranty, so you should be able to get at least that out of them.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Yeah..idk. The Michelin PSS besides having a great reputation are also by far the lightest tire @ 24 lbs for the 245/45/18 and 27 lbs for the 275/40/18.

You are correct about the PSS being light-weight. At 24 pounds, they are a full 3 and 4 pounds lighter front to rear respectively, compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE050A. That's pretty amazing, IMO. I suspect that if you put the OEM-sized PSS on a lightweight wheel like the 18" Enkie RPF1, you'd be loving the change.

The PSS also has a good reputation for tread wear; vastly better than the RE050A, which rip up in 10K+ miles.

And finally, with regard to your concern for how long they last... see my previous comment and put that in proper context, too. But if you're still worried about it, then move to a square setup so that you can rotate front to back. That's actually pretty good advice, right there.

Alfredo, I realize that everyone's story is different, and I've long ago stopped trying to put myself in your shoes, because quite frankly, it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't get you, man. So I gave that up, because it's none of my business, and with exception to actual friendships made here, it's usually best to focus on the cars, not the forum member. But (!) we are all defined with the values established by our actions, and in the last year you've dumped thousands of dollars into bolt-on mods (and a tune). Recently you were talking about some high-end lightweight 18" wheels, even lighter than the Enkie RPF1. Seems to me if you're going to spend $2000 - $3000 on lightweight wheels, a few hundred added dollars in tires isn't even a blip on the radar.

/oldmanrant

Last edited by Rochester; 11-07-2014 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
alfredo24pr (11-07-2014), twin_snails (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Do any of you guys have a noise coming from the fuel tank (under the car by the hoses/heat shield) that sounds like a constant hiss/whine that sputters a bit? Infiniti says they see nothing wrong with it but it doesn't sound that normal to me.

Also, had a q50 loaner and I have to say, I love the steering wheel they put in there. I wonder if we can swap it in?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Just threw in a remote start gota say probably best mod so far lol
Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Staggered sizes have a 15,000 mile warranty, so you should be able to get at least that out of them.
Sounds good enough. That's about a year and a half for me.

You are correct about the PSS being light-weight. At 24 pounds, they are a full 3 and 4 pounds lighter front to rear respectively, compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE050A. That's pretty amazing, IMO. I suspect that if you put the OEM-sized PSS on a lightweight wheel like the 18" Enkie RPF1, you'd be loving the change.

The PSS also has a good reputation for tread wear; vastly better than the RE050A, which rip up in 10K+ miles.

And finally, with regard to your concern for how long they last... see my previous comment and put that in proper context, too. But if you're still worried about it, then move to a square setup so that you can rotate front to back. That's actually pretty good advice, right there.

Alfredo, I realize that everyone's story is different, and I've long ago stopped trying to put myself in your shoes, because quite frankly, it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't get you, man. So I gave that up, because it's none of my business, and with exception to actual friendships made here, it's usually best to focus on the cars, not the forum member. But (!) we are all defined with the values established by our actions, and in the last year you've dumped thousands of dollars into bolt-on mods (and a tune). Recently you were talking about some high-end lightweight 18" wheels, even lighter than the Enkie RPF1. Seems to me if you're going to spend $2000 - $3000 on lightweight wheels, a few hundred added dollars in tires isn't even a blip on the radar.

/oldmanrant
I understand your point completely. I'm more concerned about the tires than my past mods, because tires get worn out and need to be replaced and I don't want to be spending $1250 on tires (plus mounting and balancing) every year and a half.

I actually did order those wheels, so I'm just going to go with the Michelin PSS for now and see how long they last and if I like them enough to get another set after they get worn out.

Thanks for the old man rant and advice.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're welcome, Alfredo. I can only imagine how psyched you're going to be with those light-weight 18's and PSS. You might get the lightweight-bug and buy yourself a new drive-shaft, too.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Sounds good enough. That's about a year and a half for me.

I understand your point completely. I'm more concerned about the tires than my past mods, because tires get worn out and need to be replaced and I don't want to be spending $1250 on tires (plus mounting and balancing) every year and a half.

I actually did order those wheels, so I'm just going to go with the Michelin PSS for now and see how long they last and if I like them enough to get another set after they get worn out.

Thanks for the old man rant and advice.
Can't go wrong with PSS as I love them and don't know if i'll go back, but I also drive my car pretty hard to warrant such a purchase. So the question is, do you put your car through the paces? If not, a lesser tire might be justified.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Alfredo--looks like you have costco in Puerto Rico, have you checked if they can get PSS for you?

Usually shipping is free, so it might be an option.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Can't go wrong with PSS as I love them and don't know if i'll go back, but I also drive my car pretty hard to warrant such a purchase. So the question is, do you put your car through the paces? If not, a lesser tire might be justified.
That's way too subjective, and weirdly personal, too.

Some better questions, with more of a bite to them:
  • Do you routinely launch the car as hard as you can out of the hole? The reasons are immaterial... for the fun of it, street racing, drug smuggling.
  • Do you normally hear the tires screech when you pile into a turn?
  • How many times a day do you curse out loud and say, "Goddamn Understeer!"?
  • When you come to a highway ramp, is it a game to see if you can take it at twice the posted speed?

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure other people can come up with similar questions.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

That's way too subjective, and weirdly personal, too.
Kettle Black? Mr. Pay attention to all his mods and how much they cost.

Some better questions, with more of a bite to them:
  • Do you routinely launch the car as hard as you can out of the hole? The reasons are immaterial... for the fun of it, street racing, drug smuggling.
  • Do you normally hear the tires screech when you pile into a turn?
  • How many times a day do you curse out loud and say, "Goddamn Understeer!"?
  • When you come to a highway ramp, is it a game to see if you can take it at twice the posted speed?

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure other people can come up with similar questions.

Yeah, but now you could be digging too deep. The reality is most people never drive their cars anywhere near the limits of the what their tires can actually do. For instance, if someone just does the occasional highway pull, stoplight drag, or indy turn, then maybe they will happy with a s04, v12, etc. type tire. However, this does not mean I condone people throwing on chit tires like nexen, etc. just because they drive like a grandma. I just think it can vary from one person to another but by all means continue the probing. I think it would be interesting to see how my fellow sedan enthusiasts driving patterns are.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Kettle Black? Mr. Pay attention to all his mods and how much they cost.
I just got through making that point. Twice, actually.

You are one very weird cat. I say Tomato, and you say, Look at me-e-e!!!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread