G37 Sedan

Rattle Trap G37

Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I had my center console and cowl pop fixed, but the door rattles when the bass hits are back again. I definitely would not classify Infiniti with the general luxury car stigma, when I say I drive an Infiniti the response is oh nice car, where as when I drove my Lexus, it was oh wow a Lexus.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM
valid_user_name

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I'd add my two cents. I recently bought a used G37 with 23K miles. I test drove four entry level Japanese luxury cars, IS250, ES350, TL, and G37.

The ES350 was the most solid of the four for lack of interior noises and rattles. The TL was the most rattle prone, then the IS250, the G37, and lastly the ES350. These were all used vehicles around the 20K to 30K mile mark. The interior creaks, squeaks, and rattles seemed to basically line up with the perceived interior quality, with the TL being the worst followed by the IS then the G37 and then the ES350 having what seemed to be the highest fit and finish in the group. (I know I'm easily satisfied here and didn't bring in Germans to the mix. Also, the IS and TL interiors seemed gimmicky to me and not refined.)

I test drove 4 different G37's while I was shopping for the best deal. One in particular with 22K miles had the worst noise in the dash area which was noticeable and the salesman assured me they would fix it before delivery. So it is clear that each car is different and mileage isn't the only factor.

The G37 that I bought has very few creaks and squeaks and only occur when driving over obstacles like speed bumps, train tracks, pot holes, and steep driveways. The noise from the tires and suspension are more audible than the squeaks and thus don't present a distraction to me.

Compared to the other cars in Japanese entry level luxury, it is in my limited experience better than an IS250 and TL with comparable miles. Less refined than an ES350 but much more fun to drive.

To be clear, it seems that the IS250 doesn't compare to the G37 since it would be more comparable to the G25 but based on asking prices the IS250 for same year and miles is equivalent to slightly more expensive in my market.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All GT-Rs have the exact same rattle.
Ferrari's have no rattle.

I wonder what's missing.

I absolutely drive a lemon so creaks and squeaks are deaf to me now compared to the other crap I go through. As much as we love our cars, do understand you pay for what you get. Every car rattles...sure in 10years. Mine started two weeks after ownership. Sucks. There's a reason why European makes are much more expensive than ours.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I drove a 96 Nissan Altima as my first car, that car remained rattle free the entire time I owned it from 70k miles to 134k miles. My IS300 had some rattles too but not quite like the G37. I still love my car though and my stereo is usually always on blast anyway.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
valid_user_name

Originally Posted by pdpMIATA
All GT-Rs have the exact same rattle.
Ferrari's have no rattle.

I wonder what's missing.

I absolutely drive a lemon so creaks and squeaks are deaf to me now compared to the other crap I go through. As much as we love our cars, do understand you pay for what you get. Every car rattles...sure in 10years. Mine started two weeks after ownership. Sucks. There's a reason why European makes are much more expensive than ours.
I just googled and found a similar complaint on an m3 board. Seems universal.

Do you have interior rattles?

Just hit 18,000 miles and the rattles are setting in. I drive the car hard, which might further contribute to rattles, but I think some of the rattles are in common places.

Here my current interior rattles:

- Passenger seat (somehwere near the seatbelt extender)
- Nav
- Rear panel

As i just posted in another thread, to some degree these rattles are normal on M cars. My E46 was pretty bad too. Just makes me wish they did something about it. It can be really depressing because sometimes I just like to have the engine be my music in the car, and these rattles are a buzz kill...
Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 09 has been fairly quiet except more recently in two areas. One is a rattle only at idle. It sounds like it's in the dash behind the glove box, but I don't seem to be able to isolate it. Checked the cabin filter and all seems ok. I've seen another thread on the possibility of it being the cat, but I don't hear anything on the outside. This one is starting to drive me nuts. The other rattle is in the engine compartment at startup ....something buzzes when starting, the again after backing down the driveway and putting into drive it will do it again and not be heard until another restart. Both are weird and difficult to isolate the causes.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (02-14-2019)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Meantown37

BMW, does not rattle. If it bothers you that bad it could be the way to go. I would be interested in your take on this. I have an '02 330i with 130k and the back speaker rattled once, easy fix. The driver's door trim once rattled due to popped clip. Other than those it's been totally solid the last 9 years. Several of my coworkers also have 3 series and all solid.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM
kevinsx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just like any other manufactured goods. If we take the time to look for problems on Google ,we can easily find a few cases even with the most robust produce. Like a 5 stars rating item on Amazon, I almost certain that there are 1 or 2 bad reviews. What doesnt happen to me or my family and friends who use the same produce would not 100 percent reflects the same result to others. My Dads 2010Lexus has recently had an engine failure at 86k miles. The poor guy is still in shock, he is a long time Lexus believer. My family have had a total of four Lexus and three ran happily til the high 6 figure mileage( Im sure many other Lexus owners can say the same about their cars). It has been a month and my Dad still hasnt decided on his next car. Im trying to get him to buy the new GS350 Fsport (beautiful car imo) however this experience has somwhat shaken his faith with the brand.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 PM
psu1978

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lordie, what DOESN'T rattle in my convertible ... the seat belts rub on the retention straps, the windshield and dash squeak against each other, the "package shelf" creaks, there are three different rattles from the trunk area. I put it down partially to it having 142K miles, partially to having gotten rear-ended a couple of years ago, and partially to the complicated machinery for the roof retraction. I tried to put a bit of weather-stripping on the back seat where there's a half-inch gap between the seat and the package shelf, ending up with a piece torn off and jacking up the mechanism that moves the shelf vertical, had to tinker with that to get the roof working again ... and have given up and turned the stereo up.

Oh, and the brakes groan when they're cold.

No, it's not a quiet luxury car, it's my zoom-zoom machine. Can't hear the noises when the top's down! :-)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:44 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Would like to know where to apply felt as well. Mine Rattles at idle (infuriating @ stop lights). It sounds like under&behind my glove-box.

The rattle, poor panel fitment, and squealing in reverse really makes the G feel sub-lux. Ive seen german cars with similar problems, but it seems with far less frequency. Maybe we're all in an echo chamber here.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM
urdieG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mike S.

I agree, I have these exact same rattles you mentioned:

I have noticed the glove box rattle more since I have lowered my car a 1.2 -1.5 inch drop. There is a rattle from around 0 - 60 kms coming from the glove box area I went outside to listen to it by the right front tire and you can't notice from the outside only inside. so weird and annoying.

Also since lowering now my back middle speaker rattles at certain bass frequencies. Trying to also figure that out.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Wow I thought there would never be a chat about rattles. I don't really notice rattles on my car, then again I play the radio. If I had any it would be more when I had some run-flats. Especially when I had the subframe collars and poly diff bushings. Well now I have Michelin Pilot AS 3s and a radio so I don't really notice any rattles. I do have a bit of white noise in the back, almost like some air is coming through a back window, but I have gotten used to it and I have a radio. My friend got a 07 IS350 and I expected it to be quieter, but no I felt like it was even worse with outside sound.

I do suspect that the majority of the people with rattles have aftermarket suspension. I will be doing that sometime in the future. When you go from something that was engineered to go together to something that has removed some of the flex from the suspension, don't be surprised if you get more vibrations.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:04 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
My 2006 Altima had about 75,000 miles in 2013, and the rattles got pretty bad. When I close the driver door with the window down, it sounded like the door was full of loose change...

My G is now at about 30,000 miles, no rattles yet and not looking forward to them. Guess it's combo of low mileage and staying stock for the most part.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
My 2006 Altima had about 75,000 miles in 2013, and the rattles got pretty bad. When I close the driver door with the window down, it sounded like the door was full of loose change...

My G is now at about 30,000 miles, no rattles yet and not looking forward to them. Guess it's combo of low mileage and staying stock for the most part.
mines got 108k and doesn’t rattle.