G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle Trap G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Hey Guys, the cowl popping/creaking noise is an easy fix. I did it a couple days ago. Here's the DIY: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ng-noises.html

Just remember, if you do this DIY, push down on the windshield wiper where it bends, keep slight pressure on it and then lift the end where you removed the nut. The wiper comes off easily. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get there.
The following users liked this post:
g37guy01 (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bota36
Hey Guys, the cowl popping/creaking noise is an easy fix. I did it a couple days ago. Here's the DIY: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ng-noises.html

Just remember, if you do this DIY, push down on the windshield wiper where it bends, keep slight pressure on it and then lift the end where you removed the nut. The wiper comes off easily. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get there.
I have read through that and decided to just jam some felt down between the windshield and the plastic on the driver side (where I hear the rattle--I guess it does not rattle the same place for everyone). Gone. Ghetto. But gone.

I had a 2004 WRX that had a pretty loud turbo back, etc. I had a decent bumping system in there, too...a 12 inch sub, etc. So I had no idea if it rattled or not. When I sold it I put it back to stock to sell, the car was as silent as a morgue. Not a single freaking rattle. That car was solid as hell.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Although there is now a massive repaving project on the roads I regularly drive to work for the last year and a half they were pothole alley; roads bad enough to shake my teeth loose.

Having said that, I'm lucky my 2011 sedan is rattle free. Most cars I've owned have developed rattles over time.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunny G
My car has 22k miles on it and it has only 2 rattles.
1. the windsheild makes a popping noise sometime
2. The passenger seat squeaks against vibrates in turn making a squeak noise.

The seat vibration is annoying and im looking into putting some foam or something between the seat and the center console to make the noise go away.

Crazy I just have come across this thread after I just heard some sort of popping noise from the windshield area couple times tonight... and I was going nuts about it... anybody can help out here? how do I find out if that noise is the cowl noise with the given DIY fix in the link below ?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ng-noises.html

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone...but I already knew that. I'm not convinced that sport package has much to do with it. The loaners with 17's and non-sport suspension still rattle, headliner still pops, cowl still pops, rear deck still vibrates/rattles.

I might attempt to work on a few of them again. I'm at 21 of 39 months on my lease. Yikes.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, you really need a G37 convertible to know what chronic rattling sounds like. The convertible rattles way more, when it's cold. Mine's at the dealer now, getting it's bi-annual de-rattling fixes!

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Hey Guys,

Long time no post. Not a troll, longtime Nissan/Infiniti fan, however, my G37S Sedan with 28K miles is testing my limits.

Its a bonafide rattle trap. I admit that I have a low tolerance for rattles but damn this car is noisy. Others who will chime in will say..."Not me, got 30K and its silent.". I call BS. I've driven tons of loaners from my dealer...and they all sound the same. Heck, even my 09 had some of the same sounds as my 12. I just need to vent. So here they are.

1. Windshield Cowl - Pops a lot now that its chilly. Seemed to be fine in the summer but sometimes would randomly act up.

2. The whole plastic mess around the gearshift....if I take an aggressive turn the whole thing creaks. PLUS...there is some rattle that sounds like sizzling wires under the cup holder. Terrible. Thankful that rattle only happens occasionally.

3. Glove box...rattling from door. I fixed that one by adding some furniture feet pads to the frame of the glovebox, so when the door closes its a bit tighter.

4. Headliner - Pops/sticky sounds...sounds like velcro. Happens A LOT!

5. Armrest Lid. Going over bumps would cause it to rattle if I wasn't leaning on it. Sometimes I do actually drive with both hands on the wheel...haha. Fixed with a rubber washer where the factory rubber nipple was.

6. Rear Deck.....yea...its a mess. It rattles/vibrates. Its been there since new. If I wedge some foam in around the rear stop light (which ends up putting pressure on the whole tray/lid) it cleans up the sounds nicely...however, it looks way ghetto. Need to take something apart to do it right.

7. Passenger front seat - Clicking noise when driving over bumps.

All of this sucks big time. They Q50 loaner I drove for a few days was nearly silent (but wasn't perfect). I guess I can be OK with ALMOST perfect.

Maybe its me. Drove a friends 06 S500...heard some pretty nasty rattles. Rode in another friends Land Rover Discovery (Maybe 09 ish)....heard a few noises too. Our 12 Altima SR V6 is a rattle trap too. So was my 09 G37x and my 06 Altima SE-R.

Sometimes I'm surprised. Once had a loaner Grand Prix in Baltimore, don't remember the mileage but the car was likely newish and this was maybe around 2008. I swear we were driving on some of the worst roads and this thing didn't make a peep. I remember thinking at the time that my SE-R would have sounded like a rattle can over the same roads.

What gives? Am I too sensitive? Turn up the radio (I hate when folks say that)? Anyone else feel the same way?

I wanted to get a Q50S Hybrid when my lease is up but I just don't know if I can trust Infiniti to build a rattle free car. Even MT just wrapped up a long term QX60 (JX35) and while the interior is beautiful and high quality they commented about "Rattles have set in"....GRRRRRR.

I've tried a bit with the dealer but the whole process is a turn off. They look at you like you're a nag. You take them on a test drive. They can't really hear it...etc.

Flame away.

Mike S.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I have read through that and decided to just jam some felt down between the windshield and the plastic on the driver side (where I hear the rattle--I guess it does not rattle the same place for everyone). Gone. Ghetto. But gone.

I had a 2004 WRX that had a pretty loud turbo back, etc. I had a decent bumping system in there, too...a 12 inch sub, etc. So I had no idea if it rattled or not. When I sold it I put it back to stock to sell, the car was as silent as a morgue. Not a single freaking rattle. That car was solid as hell.
I'm gonna have to try jamming felt down there too...But I'm planning on taking my G to the dealer for a few, hopefully covered under the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty. I think I read that they will fix the cowl popping noise under that...also have a front driverside break noise (which hopefully doesn't just mean I need new brakes @37.8K miles?). I'm alos no a mission about the little chrome piece on the cup holder lid...now I've noticed that when it's up, and it usually is (I loves me coffee) that when you lay your arm on the arm rest it the arm rest rubs constanly on the the lid and I would say in a year or so it'll certainly wear thru...oh and the constant squeaking noise is really annoying..so much so outta the corner of my eye, I see my GF staring at my elbow like "WTF? Can you stop that?!?!?"

I have an '02 WRX with 200K mi and the only noise I got from that car was when the rear shock tower moutn started to go bad ~5K miles ago, which I got fixed and the noise is all gone...the car is solid as a rock! Oh wait I got the seat belt squeak too..but that's about it! 200K miles and still SOLID.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 37GBonB
What I figured. I did my research before buying and the reviews were for the most part, extremely favorable. Did not see any rattling comments, even on other user boards.

All cars eventually rattle....tho I may eventually rattle more than my G.
I already do rattle and pop way more than any of my cars!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Odd that you find so many issues in your car. Our '09 G has been stellar (knock wood). There are only two notable sounds: One is the slight rubbing noise you can get from the rubber gasket around the sunroof. I've yet to own a car with a sunroof which didn't make the same occasional noises. I could likely tame that with a little rubber rejuvenation on that area, but honestly, it's so slight it's almost not noticeable. Plus, here in SoCal, I have the thing opened 99% of the time. The other noise came from the steering wheel "pod" as it had started to squeal loudly when the wheel would move in and out at startup. But I simply deactivated that largely useless feature, and now there is no issue. Other than those two unrelated things, there car is DAMN noise-free. Which is all the more impressive considering that our "S" model has the harder suspension and stiff chassis.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2010 xS has some rattles, but it's a tiny car, so that makes it very easy to hear everything going on. I've had other cars that are quieter, but none have been nearly as much fun to drive. When I bought ours it was really for the performance first. I'm not sure it's a Nissan thing, though - I had an Armada once and it was very quiet.
37GBonB (11-15-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New owner of a used 2012 G37x. 15k miles and not a sound. This thing is silent compared to the 2005 TL I traded in for it. Rattles from day one. No car is rattle free and you'll find rattle complaint threads on every car forum. Just turn up the stereo.
37GBonB (11-17-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 PM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One reason I chose the G over the IS was a mind jarring dash rattle. The fix required a new nav unit, and that fix was temporary. I also have the headliner Velcro sound and the center console screeching at times. I have not messed with the headliner yet but did pull the center apart. The connection tabs are the culprit. I have not found a lube that lasts more than a day yet.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried graphite powder? Sometimes if you mix it with a liquid silicone lube as a carrier, by the time the liquid absorbs, the powder residue remains and lasts a allot longer.

American grease stick graphite lubricant 1.13 oz/32g

Then there's this stuff and you will pay for it, but used sparingly...ahhh there is no better.
DuPont GPL 205 Krytox General Purpose Grease - .5 Oz Tube DuPont GPL 205 Krytox General Purpose Grease - .5 Oz Tube
[URL="DuPont Krytox GPL 105 Oil Lubricant PFPE Perfluoropolyether Auto & Industrial 1oz 28g Bottle"]

Liquid version of Krytox
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox-Lubricant-Perfluoropolyether-Industrial/dp/B0096VV9ZE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1385777904&sr=1-2&keywords=krytox http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox-Lubricant-Perfluoropolyether-Industrial/dp/B0096VV9ZE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1385777904&sr=1-2&keywords=krytox

Last edited by linusent01; 11-29-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 PM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The powder is a decent idea. I will give that a shot! Thank you.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
So was my ... 06 Altima SE-R.
My SER was pretty bad. Closing the driver door with the window closed was embarrassing, like it was filled with loose pennies

Not looking forward to hearing rattles in my G. I can't accept chalking it up as a "Nissan thing"

I plan to take full advantage of bumper to bumper warranty when it comes to this kind of stuff (within reason, not trying to have my "wanted" poster up at dealerships)

Quick Reply: Rattle Trap G37