Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Because Rochester likes engine bling.
Haha. Yeah, pretty much this.

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
if you wouldn't mind mentioning all the reasons you went with R2C, that would be nice , I'm just curious
The internal debate on this was long. Here's the hit list of reasons:
  • Easier to install over long-tube designs.
  • Less expensive over long-tube designs.
  • R2C is designed with a long mid-pipe, which to me was preferable to the setups which re-use the flex-tube and MAF housing.
  • The R2C kit is shielded.
  • R2C is like the largest manufacture of filter elements that you've never heard of. Dig deep, and you'll discover a strong technical expertise there.
  • The Black Nickel plated mid-pipe is gorgeous beyond words. (drool)
  • TunerStorz gave me a great price.
  • The R2C filter is dry... no oiling. If you think it's time to replace them, then just replace them. I don't like cleaning and oiling air filters.
  • Research led me to the assessment that the SRI provides gains under the curve, whereas the long-tube design offer bigger gains, but only at top-end. And while I like a heavy foot, I'm not a WOT kind of guy. Either way, I don't think it matters without a tune.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-06-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by anestheticG
Yes everything OEM, what don't you like about the pedals? I figure they will be nicer than the plastic ones...
I have the plastic pedals, interested in seeing how much nicer they are
Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
2300$ is insane.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Haha. Yeah, pretty much this.

The internal debate on this was long. Here's the hit list of reasons:
  • Easier to install over long-tube designs.
  • Less expensive over long-tube designs.
  • R2C is designed with a long mid-pipe, which to me was preferable to the setups which re-use the flex-tube and MAF housing.
  • The R2C kit is shielded.
  • R2C is like the largest manufacture of filter elements that you've never heard of. Dig deep, and you'll discover a strong technical expertise there.
  • The Black Nickel plated mid-pipe is gorgeous beyond words. (drool)
  • TunerStorz gave me a great price.
  • The R2C filter is dry... no oiling. If you think it's time to replace them, then just replace them. I don't like cleaning and oiling air filters.
  • Research led me to the assessment that the SRI provides gains under the curve, whereas the long-tube design offer bigger gains, but only at top-end. And while I like a heavy foot, I'm not a WOT kind of guy. Either way, I don't think it matters without a tune.

I see.. well I went with Takeda SRIs and the only negative is that they don't have shields around the filters... and yes they are dry filters as well... I did my research on the Takeda one back then before I bought it and found it most appealing to me, but now that I know the intake pipes get pretty hot so I came across DEI Reflect-A-Gold Heat Tape and I'm gonna order some to prevent the intake pipes from getting hot

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 11-07-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I see.. well I went with Takeda SRIs and the only negative is that it doesn't have shields around the filters... and yes they are dry filters as well... I did my research on the Takeda one back then before I bought it and found it most appealing to me, but now that I know the intake pipes get pretty hot so I came across DEI Reflect-A-Gold Heat Tape and I'm gonna order some to prevent the intake pipes from getting hot
Almost bought Takeda myself. Very appealing design.

The optional Takeda splash guard is $65 give or take, depending on where you buy it. Factor that into the cost, and it's pretty close to the price of Stillen's Gen3 intake, which comes packaged with a splash guard.

BTW, that was another contributing factor in my decision making. Anything that needs to actively guard against water seems kind of iffy to me.

Cold Air Intake System Takeda Takeda Stage-2 PRO DRY S Intake System Splash Shield: TA-3016P TA-3016S - aFe Power

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
anestheticG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So as an update (in case anyone cares) I ended up doing the LED daytime running lights and they are dope. I also did the interior lighting and kick plates. Total around 1800 dealer installed. I did not do the aluminum pedals as that would not be changing the dead pedal because that is integrated into the carpet. It's a lot of money for some lights but it puts a smile on my face. The LEDs are super bright with a white/bluish tint. I wish they were always on but as other threads have mentioned turn off when the headlights are on (what can you do). I'll be driving this car for at least another 2 years so I wanted to add some dumb aesthetic crap to make it more premium.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
So as an update (in case anyone cares) I ended up doing the LED daytime running lights and they are dope. I also did the interior lighting and kick plates. Total around 1800 dealer installed. I did not do the aluminum pedals as that would not be changing the dead pedal because that is integrated into the carpet. It's a lot of money for some lights but it puts a smile on my face. The LEDs are super bright with a white/bluish tint. I wish they were always on but as other threads have mentioned turn off when the headlights are on (what can you do). I'll be driving this car for at least another 2 years so I wanted to add some dumb aesthetic crap to make it more premium.
Need some pics ASAP
BTW, glad you're happy w/ the mod, that's all that really matters!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah definitely not cheap but with parts and labor that's what it is. The LEDs are 600 for the part alone. Charging me around $400 in labor (it's $125/hr). Apparently the LEDs are big job from what I've read on the forum and will likely take more than 3 hours so in fact it appears I'm not getting fleeced as much as I could.
This is definitely not a value purchase... But at least I'll be the only g37 I've seen with oem LEDs
I bought leds for my interior and tag lights for $10, installed myself in less than an hour... I'm not seeing where $600 is going...? If that includes drls maybe..but still that's a rip off.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Pics?

I'm in the same boat w/pedals, will have to see what other options exist. I'd like to see the DRLs, want the sills. Drive and smile!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 PM
anestheticG

Will upload photos when I have time. The DRLs are sweeeet
Old 11-28-2013, 11:57 PM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking of kick plates...Are the stock rears supposed to be metal? My fronts are metal but the rears are plastic.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 PM
anestheticG

the rear should also be metal.
Sorry for the delay but here is a shot of the LEDs on at night. They are super bright, even in the daytime (which is only time they are on except dawn/dusk). They turn off when the lights are on. It is a very crisp white with a little blue/purple color. I wish they would always stay on but they are still awesome. Also have the kick plates. Crappy picture but everyone knows what they look like. Also added interior lighting (no picture). It's a nice touch.

Name:  photo-10.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  photo1-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
StephenAureo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the rear should also be metal.
Sorry for the delay but here is a shot of the LEDs on at night. They are super bright, even in the daytime (which is only time they are on except dawn/dusk). They turn off when the lights are on. It is a very crisp white with a little blue/purple color. I wish they would always stay on but they are still awesome. Also have the kick plates. Crappy picture but everyone knows what they look like. Also added interior lighting (no picture). It's a nice touch.
anesthetic….what method to keep ONLY the fogs on did you use?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 AM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have aluminum pedals in my mustang convertible. They came with the car. You can only see them if you bend your head down almost under the dash. I certainly wouldn't spend money to add them to my G.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 AM
anestheticG

Originally Posted by StephenAureo
anesthetic….what method to keep ONLY the fogs on did you use?
I didn't. The lights are the day time LEDs I had installed. This was an oem part that was available as an option. You can't see but the leds are house next to the fog lights. When the headlights and fogs go on the LEDs turn off.

Quick Reply: Adding kick plates, led, interior lighting, aluminum pedals