MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   why difference between coupe & sedan bumper? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/251935-why-difference-between-coupe-and-sedan-bumper.html)

botlfed98 10-17-2013 05:54 PM

why difference between coupe & sedan bumper?

any ideas why Infiniti decided to have different front bumpers between coupe & sedan?? It sure would have been nice if they were interchangeable

sniper27 10-17-2013 06:45 PM

different grill and headlights.

oliveview 10-18-2013 07:48 PM

Different everything (on the outside). They don't share a single common body panel. But that's exactly the same as every other manufacturer. Coupes and sedans are always different sheet metal.

brizey 10-19-2013 09:00 AM

It is kind of dumb when you think about it. But I doubt they spent all the money on separate tooling by accident. The marketplace must drive them to look different even where it seems like it would not matter.

crazjayz 10-21-2013 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by botlfed98 (Post 3690604)
any ideas why Infiniti decided to have different front bumpers between coupe & sedan?? It sure would have been nice if they were interchangeable

I definitely agree with you on this one. It would be really nice to be able to interchange the coupe/sedan bumpers, even if it took some "extra" work like the pre-10 to the +2010 sedans.

Originally Posted by oliveview (Post 3691088)
Different everything (on the outside). They don't share a single common body panel. But that's exactly the same as every other manufacturer. Coupes and sedans are always different sheet metal.

For most of the sheet metal, I can see why, but for the front bumper specifically, it really doesn't make sense. I would think to save on development costs, you would try to use as many cross parts as possible, and while having different style bumpers would be ideal (to differentiate between coupe vs. sedan), what doesn't make sense is having the dimensions, brackets, braces, mounting points, etc, of the cars so different as they're essentially the same up front. I can understand different lengths, so fenders, doors, and rear would be different, but the front, from an accounting point if view, it never made sense to me.

oliveview 10-21-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by crazjayz (Post 3691640)
I definitely agree with you on this one. It would be really nice to be able to interchange the coupe/sedan bumpers, even if it took some "extra" work like the pre-10 to the +2010 sedans.

For most of the sheet metal, I can see why, but for the front bumper specifically, it really doesn't make sense. I would think to save on development costs, you would try to use as many cross parts as possible, and while having different style bumpers would be ideal (to differentiate between coupe vs. sedan), what doesn't make sense is having the dimensions, brackets, braces, mounting points, etc, of the cars so different as they're essentially the same up front. I can understand different lengths, so fenders, doors, and rear would be different, but the front, from an accounting point if view, it never made sense to me.

I can assure you that if it made cost-sense, the automotive industry would do it differently. Again, this has zero to do with Nissan, as it's a design decision every single automaker follows. One-time, up-front development and tooling costs are FAR outstripped by actual automotive production, and sales. Obviously, people aren't interested in buying the same exact car, but with either two-doors or four. They want true differentiation for their money.

botlfed98 10-21-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by oliveview (Post 3691088)

yes I understand that most of the other body panels would have to be different between coupe & sedan but dam it sure would be nice if they did share the same front & rear bumpers / headlights/ grill / hood etc...

crazjayz 10-21-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by oliveview (Post 3691822)
I can assure you that if it made cost-sense, the automotive industry would do it differently. Again, this has zero to do with Nissan, as it's a design decision every single automaker follows. One-time, up-front development and tooling costs are FAR outstripped by actual automotive production, and sales. Obviously, people aren't interested in buying the same exact car, but with either two-doors or four. They want true differentiation for their money.

This issue that I have with this, specifically when it comes to the G sedan & coupe, is that the wider track of the coupe would benefit the sporty aspect of the sedan as well.

They could easily differentiate the look of the front bumper, and the whole car, but retain an identical width and front chassis setup/mounting points. Just never made sense to me to have different lights, bumper, grill, (essentially the whole front of the car) especially with the whole industry now pushing for the corporate themed car.

terrycs 10-21-2013 08:01 PM

More room behind the coupe bumper cover for an intercooler. It's kinda tight behind the sedan's. ;)

AARONHL 06-27-2017 09:57 PM

How about the rear bumper? How much difference??

slartibartfast 06-27-2017 10:00 PM

There is no sane reason that the coupe and sedan shouldn't be identical to A pillar. Detroit did this for many years.

James Harden 06-28-2017 10:45 AM

Imagine a sedan doing a coupe rear end conversion. Would look so sick.

ZahyMatar 06-28-2017 04:08 PM

Because the sedan looks better.

takeapieandrun 06-28-2017 08:01 PM

Imo the sedan rear end looks better, coupes looks kinda too phat with the bumper, but the coupe's front end looks much better as it tapers down more instead of the more abrupt styling on the sedan.

AARONHL 06-28-2017 10:17 PM

I think the sedan looks more like a bubble butt then the coupe...and the sedan needs a rear lip or skirt (that isnt made) to look better

Maybe someone can cut up a g37 coupe IPL rear bumper to fit the sedan