Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by LZ1
Good tip on the stealth clamps I just got mine in will be swapping them onto my R2C setup.

Btw Rochester im right up the highway in Buffalo.
Welcome to the forum, what other mods do you have? You should post up an intro in the new member section and let everyone see what you've been up to.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
LZ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Cool. Glad this thread inspired you with ideas.

You probably bought the car at Autoplace Infiniti-Nissan. I like that dealership.

Welcome to the forum.
Actually got it from Dorschel

Originally Posted by blnewt
LZ1, welcome to the site. Your first post and you already got a warm welcome from Rochester, you'll do well here

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
LZ1 you aren't driving the black IPL in Buffalo are you? Someone has a looker up here.
And welcome to the forum!
Sadly no

Slate Grey G37x

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Welcome to the forum, what other mods do you have? You should post up an intro in the new member section and let everyone see what you've been up to.

Will do
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Has anyone tried the Z1 PCV hose set? Took a look at one installed last night and am thinking I'm going to make the switch. Maybe with additional stealth clamps but I'm not certain yet. Positive feedback for fitment and function.

Z1 Silicone Side PCV Breather Hose set for Aftermarket Intakes
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by LZ1
Good tip on the stealth clamps I just got mine in will be swapping them onto my R2C setup.

Btw Rochester im right up the highway in Buffalo.
How do you like the clamps?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Has anyone tried the Z1 PCV hose set? Took a look at one installed last night and am thinking I'm going to make the switch. Maybe with additional stealth clamps but I'm not certain yet. Positive feedback for fitment and function.

Z1 Silicone Side PCV Breather Hose set for Aftermarket Intakes
Tag, you're it, Rex.

Getting the OEM tubing to fit sure is a PITA.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
With heat and vibration, over time the filter elements will slip off the mid-pipe. They just will, and it’s very frustrating. The filters are actually tilted at a light downward angle, and the mid-pipe is all slippery smooth. At least, the Black Nickle finish is.

So all you need to do is rough-up the finish on the neck of the mid-pipe. Some high-grit sand-paper, and you’re good to go. The filters will stay on nice and secure, without having to constantly tweak the compression on the clamps.
That was an issue when I got these a few years ago.

Its not the nickel plating.
Speaking with R2C, they commented that the release agent used when molding the air filters is never cleaned off.
A little alcohol wipe on the inside of the filters throat will do the trick, then those filters will stick to the metal tube.

So dont sand your tubes.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Tag, you're it, Rex.

I ended up searching the molded PCV hose rack in the back of a parts house to find a pair that fit perfectly.

@rochester you are so ****, we must be related!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:15 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Tag, you're it, Rex.

Ooohhhhh, I love this game!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
That was an issue when I got these a few years ago.

Its not the nickel plating.
Speaking with R2C, they commented that the release agent used when molding the air filters is never cleaned off.
A little alcohol wipe on the inside of the filters throat will do the trick, then those filters will stick to the metal tube.

So dont sand your tubes.
Good info, man. Too late for me to check out that approach, but it makes sense. Mine haven't budged at all since installed after roughing up the midpipe necks, BTW. Totally secure.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Good info, man. Too late for me to check out that approach, but it makes sense. Mine haven't budged at all since installed after roughing up the midpipe necks, BTW. Totally secure.
I noticed when installing mine that they appeared to be roughed up already.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Rex, since I've had the OEM cap just sitting here on my desk for the last few weeks, (having swapped it out for the black, logo-less ZeeToyz cap), I've been playing with it. With the razor blade and some careful patience, you can remove the embossed washer fluid symbol from the plastic. And then sand it down perfectly smooth... which I've done, because it's there. Next up is some Krylon black plastic paint.

Granted, I have the ZeeToyz cap, so I'm just experimenting. But maybe this is an option for you since you have both as well.
Some follow up on this comment... Here's what the OEM washer cap looks like sanded and painted with Krylon Satin Black Plastic Paint. I'm not using it, because of the ZeeToyz cap, but was curious how it would look anyway. Not too shabby, IMO.

That led me to experiment with sanding down the power steering cap. This I am using, and I love the clean, OEM look without the lettering. Came out much better than I thought it would.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Some follow up on this comment... Here's what the OEM washer cap looks like sanded and painted with Krylon Satin Black Plastic Paint. I'm not using it, because of the ZeeToyz cap, but was curious how it would look anyway. Not too shabby, IMO. That led me to experiment with sanding down the power steering cap. This I am using, and I love the clean, OEM look without the lettering. Came out much better than I thought it would.
Welp, there's my next mod. I've been avoiding polishing everything in the engine bay, but the caps are an eyesore (to me). I'll be doing the power steering cap today or tomorrow. Just carefully shave the lettering off with a razor, sand, sand, paint?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Welp, there's my next mod. I've been avoiding polishing everything in the engine bay, but the caps are an eyesore (to me). I'll be doing the power steering cap today or tomorrow. Just carefully shave the lettering off with a razor, sand, sand, paint?
Before sanding the washer cap, use a razor blade because the plastic symbols are thick and high. But the PS and coolant cap you can just sand to remove. It's weird how the PS cap is literally covered in English and Japanese lettering.

For sanding, I used a Black & Decker "Mouse", with two increasing grit sandpaper attachments, and then a polishing pad. Take your time. The PS cap came out fantastic, surprising me a little bit how good it looked. The washer cap could be better, but it was my first experiment, and I'm not actually using it, so...

You can find Krylon Plastic spray paint at Walmart. Good luck, buddy.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Rust

It's March 2014, much less than a year after installing the R2C Intake, but one whole Northeast Winter later. So I took them off the car today for some detailed cleaning.

People should know how poorly the heat-shields are painted. The creases are starting to show signs of surface rust, as are the bolt holes for the little nuts & bolts fastening the heat-shield to the mid-pipe. If I'm still using the R2C Intake this time next year, I think the heat-shields will need to be blasted, primed and painted.

Rather disappointed seeing this.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
That's actually very disappointing. I'm going to have to pop my hood and see if mine is like that too.

Quick Reply: R2C Intake - Lessons Learned