Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Best mod? You're kidding, right?
+1

It’s nowhere near best mod status
Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Best mod? You're kidding, right?
yes sir, Hotchkis sway bars and BBK are top three for me
Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzionassi
yes sir, Hotchkis sway bars and BBK are top three for me
Well, see, there you lost me. Not the sways... I totally agree that aftermarket swaybars are the #1 mod for these cars. But BBK? Come one, man. It's all just for looks on a street car.

Don't get me wrong, the Akebono BBK is beautiful, and it's not like I'm going to rip it out of my car and replace them with fugly basic brakes. But putting the BBK on the top-mod list is an odd thing.

Anyway, I am encouraged to read someone who strongly recommends replacing the R2C with a long-tube CAI.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, see, there you lost me. Not the sways... I totally agree that aftermarket swaybars are the #1 mod for these cars. But BBK? Come one, man. It's all just for looks on a street car.

Don't get me wrong, the Akebono BBK is beautiful, and it's not like I'm going to rip it out of my car and replace them with fugly basic brakes. But putting the BBK on the top-mod list is an odd thing.

Anyway, I am encouraged to read someone who strongly recommends replacing the R2C with a long-tube CAI.
when you will be doing 80mph+ and there will be an emergency you will understand. For folks who never go above 60mph or never drive on interstate, yes it is just for looks, but for me it is in top 3.
Fast car needs strong brakes

And you know funny part is, my car have only 16k miles and i have changed so many things.... From HID to exhaust lol

On the side note.. R2C probably worst mod i have done to my car. If it just for sound it is awesome, but if you want better driveability , it is garbage.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
lol....
Old 06-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Two minutes of herculean self-restraint, and all I've got left is this post.

Happy Saturday.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 AM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rochester
two minutes of herculean self-restraint, and all i've got left is this post.

Happy saturday.
lmfao!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
General PSA for folks that own this intake:

You should regularly check the rubber mounting flange on both intake filters for cracks / deterioration! I just changed my oil and while I was under the hood I noticed that the mounting flanges on both filters were in extremely poor condition with only 14k miles on them. (see below photos) The driver side filter had completely deteriorated, while the passenger side was badly split in multiple places. I called R2C to help me out with this issue, but all three times I reached out to them I got the silent treatment. Between the heat shields rusting out, the fitment issues, the molding not staying put, and now the filters falling apart before 15k miles, I honestly regret buying this intake system over K&N’s Typhoon intakes for the G37.

The good news is that there IS an alternative filter that fits like a glove and is readily available to replace the poorly made R2C filters . . . K&N part# RC-4670. Amazon came to the rescue when R2C hung me out to dry and had these to me in only 2 days. (see below photos for fitment)

Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Wow, that's nuts. It looks almost like the rubber material broke down and disintegrated.

I agree this kit should be looked at regularly. Annually is good enough, IMO. Take it apart and off the car. Sand and paint any rust inside the heat shield (mine rusts too). Check the rubber for failure (!!!), and refit the bolts and clamps securely. Plus, while off the car, that's the best way to keep the mid-pipe properly clean and shiny.

Sucks about your problems here, Bionicman.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, that's nuts. It looks almost like the rubber material broke down and disintegrated.

I agree this kit should be looked at regularly. Annually is good enough, IMO. Take it apart and off the car. Sand and paint any rust inside the heat shield (mine rusts too). Check the rubber for failure (!!!), and refit the bolts and clamps securely. Plus, while off the car, that's the best way to keep the mid-pipe properly clean and shiny.

Sucks about your problems here, Bionicman.
Haha, yeah, the maintenance on this thing has admittedly been a bit of a handful, particularly for a vehicle with less than 45k miles. I was in the shop again last week for a check engine light. Fortunately, I dodged a bullet there because a TSB for an updated ECU flash fixed my issue.