Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Question for any sedan owner w/ a clear bra.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
No, it just may start to yellow after a year. 3M is just trying to cap people's expectations especially in crappy climate areas. They hinted it may be fine for longer.

You just pull it off when you want to remove it.
I wonder if the year timing is when it's still safe to remove it without any paint damage? Thanks again for the info Josh, I'm going to try it when I get my car back.

One other question if anyone can chime in. I've heard you want the paint to set for awhile prior to clear bra installation. I'd hate to do it too soon and end up w/ issues. Anyone know if there's a definitive time frame after a paint job to wait before applying anything over the paint?
Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
One other question if anyone can chime in. I've heard you want the paint to set for awhile prior to clear bra installation. I'd hate to do it too soon and end up w/ issues. Anyone know if there's a definitive time frame after a paint job to wait before applying anything over the paint?
Thanks again everyone!
I don't think you have worry about anything with a new car, the paint should be cured when it leaves the factory. If a panel was repainted, yes, the body shop will typically tell you to not wash/wax for about 4 weeks. They explained it to me that at the factory they paint the whole car and cure the paint in some sort of oven at higher temps so it cures faster. They can't do the same thing at a body shop, so the paint continues to cure after it leaves the body shop.

Also I never heard clear bra installers caution against installing too soon.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM
FourT2

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
You might take a look at this new 3M Paint Defender stuff. $25 a can, spray on yourself, good for a year.
This looks very promising, even if you change the film every year it is still cheaper than typical clear bra installation at $500+.

I would try it for sure if I didn't already have Xpel clearbra on both of our cars.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by FourT2
I don't think you have worry about anything with a new car, the paint should be cured when it leaves the factory. If a panel was repainted, yes, the body shop will typically tell you to not wash/wax for about 4 weeks. They explained it to me that at the factory they paint the whole car and cure the paint in some sort of oven at higher temps so it cures faster. They can't do the same thing at a body shop, so the paint continues to cure after it leaves the body shop.

Also I never heard clear bra installers caution against installing too soon.
Thanks, my car was T-boned and is in the shop, so the paint on the hood will be fresh.
Here's a couple more links to the products' website, damn I'm like a kid at Christmas, this stuff really seems to be exactly what I was looking for, who whoulda thought
http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/faq
http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/benefits
The only real question that wasn't answered in the website was how much does 1 can cover? That kit that Sniper listed on Amazon seems pretty good for $45, and if I had to add another $25 can we're talking $70, hopefully a couple cans will cover the bumper, front hood section, headlights, and front fender corners.

Last edited by blnewt; 05-04-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:31 AM
FourT2

Thanks, my car was T-boned and is in the shop, so the paint on the hood will be fresh.
Here's a couple more links to the products' website, damn I'm like a kid at Christmas, this stuff really seems to be exactly what I was looking for, who whoulda thought
3M Paint Defender System: FAQ - 3M Auto
3M Paint Defender System: Benefits - 3M Auto
The only real question that wasn't answered in the website was how much does 1 can cover? That kit that Sniper listed on Amazon seems pretty good for $45, and if I had to add another $25 can we're talking $70, hopefully a couple cans will cover the bumper, front hood section, headlights, and front fender corners.
Oh yes I remember your car was a victim of an oblivious driver :-(. I would wait for it to cure well enough to wax, per instructions from body shop.

Can't wait for you to post your results. At this price, might as well do the whole hood.

I wonder though, how well does this film work on headlights on our Gs? VentureShield installer I used in the past said that some headlights run very hot and burn clearbras, but VentureShield *should* be ok.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Oh yes I remember your car was a victim of an oblivious driver :-(. I would wait for it to cure well enough to wax, per instructions from body shop.

Can't wait for you to post your results. At this price, might as well do the whole hood.

I wonder though, how well does this film work on headlights on our Gs? VentureShield installer I used in the past said that some headlights run very hot and burn clearbras, but VentureShield *should* be ok.
Thanks for the info. I've felt the light covers after a long drive and they don't seem hot at all, not as hot as a black hood in the summer, I'm assuming they'll be OK, and if not I can just tear it off
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
3M Paint Defender System: FAQ - 3M Auto
3M Paint Defender System: Benefits - 3M Auto
Here's a picture of the coverage/can. You dont really need the kit. You get a spray handle that you dont need and plastic cover and blue tape that you probably already have. I just bought 2 cans of the spray, which comes with the wax.

blnewt (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Modme
Here's a picture of the coverage/can. You dont really need the kit. You get a spray handle that you dont need and plastic cover and blue tape that you probably already have. I just bought 2 cans of the spray, which comes with the wax.

Thanks for that coverage guide, looks like maybe 3 cans will cover everything I want w/ some to spare. Agreed about most of the stuff in the kit, already have just about everything except the spray handle in my garage. Spray handle might make it a bit easier for my old hands, especially if I want to re-do it every year.
Let us know how it works out for you, I won't get my car back for another 4 weeks so it would be nice to have a review to go by.
sneakers (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Venture shield is showing signs of discoloration after almost 4yrs. Might give this a try on the doors after I get my car fix.

I wonder I can use this for portable devices IE tablets, sport watch...hmmm.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 AM
FourT2

Originally Posted by sneakers
My Venture shield is showing signs of discoloration after almost 4yrs. Might give this a try on the doors after I get my car fix.

I wonder I can use this for portable devices IE tablets, sport watch...hmmm.
How did you clean your clearbra, and how often? I used Plexus polish on my old car that had Venture Shield and it looked good after 3 plus years.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
my whole front of my car has a clear bra. Don't bother w/ 3M film which is old technology. I have Suntek that is real thick and also has a self healing technology to prevent scratches.

Also my clear bra is rolled edges no lines shown on the car (yes I'm picky)

if you stare at my passenger side door that doesn't have a clear paint protection film on it and my fender you notice the fender has a shinier glare to it.

check them out: 631Coatings
The following 2 users liked this post by da mayor:
blnewt (05-19-2013), sneakers (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I wonder if the year timing is when it's still safe to remove it without any paint damage? Thanks again for the info Josh, I'm going to try it when I get my car back.

Thanks again everyone!
must wait 4-6 weeks after a paint job -- always quoted by Carl at 631coatings
blnewt (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

How did you clean your clearbra, and how often? I used Plexus polish on my old car that had Venture Shield and it looked good after 3 plus years.
When I detail my car using a PC, I go over the clearbra as well so twice a year. Unfortunately, I park my car in a out door garage so mother nature takes a toll on it . I also have a covercraft car cover but sometime I am too lazy to put it on.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by da mayor
my whole front of my car has a clear bra. Don't bother w/ 3M film which is old technology. I have Suntek that is real thick and also has a self healing technology to prevent scratches.

Also my clear bra is rolled edges no lines shown on the car (yes I'm picky)
if you stare at my passenger side door that doesn't have a clear paint protection film on it and my fender you notice the fender has a shinier glare to it.

check them out: 631Coatings
Might have to stop by massapequa and say hello and check out your sweet ride & Suntek install. I did a quick search on suntek paint protection film and it seems very promising.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 AM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. That 3M spray on Paint defender is an interesting product. I'm glad I didn't order the Venture Shield just yet. That would really simplify things, just curious how much coverage you'll get out of a can. I like the idea of being able to remove it in a year since even clear bras tend to take a beating and having it refreshed every year w/ such a simple process may be the way to go. I'll have to do some research on this, if I give it a shot I'll be sure to post a review here.

One thing in it's favor is it's a 3M product and they make the best clear bra material so they know what they're doing.
It is not the same thing .The spray is a lot thinner. I have both of them and I am only using the spray on the front lip because they don't have the pre cut for it. Other wise I would go for the film.Take a look to both . From my experience for better protection go with the film a lot thicker.That is why the film is way more expensive .
blnewt (05-19-2013)

Quick Reply: Question for any sedan owner w/ a clear bra.