Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stillen rear wing update/review

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Paneraiguy

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
New Stillen rear wing update/review - sedan spoiler comparison

This is an update to the thread below and for anyone interested in an inexpensive wing for the G35/7 sedan. See thread below
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...runk-wing.html

See post #7 for a picture comparison of sedan spoilers

I was looking for a rear spoiler that didn't require drilling into the trunk and also had the duckbill look I was after without being exaggerated. So after contacting Stillen to price the out their new wing, FedEx had one on my doorstep the same week.

As you expect, it is a polyurethane construction spoiler that fits right over the existing OEM chrome piece with 3M tape. No drilling is required and if you change your mind later on down the road you have the ability to remove it without leaving holes in your trunk or any other type of aesthetic blemish.
The raw unprepped piece

Now the first wing I received had a minor flaw in the poly but Stillen quickly sent another one as soon as I called. Kudos to Stillen for quickly resolving the issues with no hassle what-so-ever.

I had the spoiler professionally painted and installed at a local body shop which took less than a day.

All and all, I am very happy with the look of the spoiler. It has that duckbill up kick look I was after but in a more subtle way. Basically this new spoiler is an evolution of the original Stillen version which just fit on top of the OEM chrome piece rather than over it. The original version had a similar look but necessitated the chrome trim piece to be color matched for it to really look right.

In summary, if you are after a subtle "euro look" type spoiler that is more sculpted to the lines of the car (in my opinion) than the OEM version - this is for you.

Big thanks to Kyle at Stillen for the great deal.

On to the pictures.

A few people asked if the spoiler obstructed the camera in any way. As you can see in the picture there is no issue in that regard.

Front profile shot which has nothing to do with the spoiler

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 05-17-2013 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alanz (05-19-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Chevyboy_Erik

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks clean...
What exhaust is that, tips looks awesome
Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This spoiler looks good. Clean car.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
fit and finish looks kind of sloppy, I don't mean to be rude but it looks like it doesn't fit right. I would rather mold the spoiler to the trunk and it would look really good. how much they charge for the wing? not a bad looking wing overall, I just personally don't dig the fairly big gaps on the end of the wing.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Definitely looks much better w/ the paint match. I like the oem trunk lid spoiler better, but not a bad option. Not really sure how well I'd trust just the double sided tape.
I think if the spoiler came out to the ends of the trunk while it tapered down that would be a better look, seems a bit short. I think I'd need to see it in person though as pics don't always do it justice.
Thanks for the variety of shots. BTW, what was the final cost w/ the paint match if you don't mind me asking?

Also agree, wheels and exhaust look great!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
fit and finish looks kind of sloppy, I don't mean to be rude but it looks like it doesn't fit right. I would rather mold the spoiler to the trunk and it would look really good. how much they charge for the wing? not a bad looking wing overall, I just personally don't dig the fairly big gaps on the end of the wing.
agreed. it doesn't look bad, but not the best in fit and finish. the gap on the edge is rather big. but overall, better than the chrome piece.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Paneraiguy

The exhaust is ARK with polished tips coupled with FI RHFC.

@conkus805 - no offense taken and the criticism is welcome. The fit doesn't look as "tight" since I took close up shots of the the contact points which will exaggerate the gaps. I didn't really notice any fit and finish issues that exceed any other aftermarket wings including OEM. That being said, I was willing to compromise a little install gap knowing that it was just double sided tape holding it on. I could have had the shop mold it to the trunk but due to my commitment issues I wasn't willing to do it since I wanted the option of taking it off without having to rework the trunk at some future date.

@blnewt - This spoiler really represents a Tommy Kaira sort of look for the folks with limited amounts of $$$$ like myself.
The wing will be in the 300 to 400ish total cost dollar range ($230 for wing or cheaper + $100 to $150 for install and paint if you don't do it yourself) for most people if you can find someone to paint it cheap and just install it yourself.
It's all about taste and preference with all nearly all the aesthetic mods. The "great looking mod" designation is in the eye of the beholder. I thought about the OEM spoiler but since it doesn't contour to the line of the trunk as much as this wing, it kept me away. A custom molded duckbill trunk is more cash than I have to spend to achieve that look (might as well just buy a TK spoiler for that sort of cash). I do agree, it would be nice if it spanned the entire width of the trunk but it was a compromise I was willing to make. The Autokits X version spans the entire width but for more $$$$.

When I compare the after market options this was the best bang for the buck to get the look I wanted.

see borrowed pics below for the other options we have to choose from...

ebay or spoiler depot type...cheaper but not the look I wanted.

VT's G35S Sedan's version of the above spoiler with the chrome trim piece painted to match

TK-this was the look I was going for but daaammnn.. I can't justify the cost of this thing.

OEM- surfboard type with not enough kick up to match the TK look I wanted.

The other OEM version- Not my favorite and a divergence from the euro sport or luxury look I want to maintain.

Oh hell...this would be on my car if I was still in high school but it comes with an extra serving of douchiness.

Stillen 1st gen. The look I was mostly after but the spoiler fits on top of the chrome trim piece which means you have to paint the trim piece to maintain a OEM look.
Without painted trim piece

With painted chrome trim piece

Autokits X spoiler. I like this look and it is what I wanted but this is double the cost if you get the carbon version and 100 bucks more if you get fiberglass. This spoiler does span the entire width of the trunk. Yeah...I am a cheapskate

Carbonsignal versionV2 -very nice but still more expensive than the Stillen version. Not only that, to get the ultra clean look in the picture requires molding and bodywork which is extra $$$$ and doesn't fit with my champagne taste on a beer budget mentality. And don't forget you have to relocate your camera which is not practical for me or most people BUT if you are willing to spend the money the look is definitely on point!

Carbonsignal Version 1- is similar in fashion to Stillen's version 1 that just fits on top of the chrome trim piece but its more than I wanted to drop when considering total overall cost.

WALD Black Bison - I don't really know much about this spoiler other than it's more money than I would like to spend to get it.

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 05-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paneraiguy:
BLamb (05-17-2013), blnewt (04-28-2013), NJ Torque (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
Ebay type- a divergence from the euro sport or luxury look I want to maintain.
This is the OEM spoiler for G35 sedan

I think the AutokitsX one looks pretty good.

and you forgot the ones made by Carbon Signal (http://carbonsignalauto.com/infiniti.html)

Last edited by devil2k; 04-28-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Paneraiguy

Originally Posted by devil2k
This is the OEM spoiler for G35 sedan

I think the AutokitsX one looks pretty good.

and you forgot the ones made by Carbon Signal (Infiniti - *CarbonSignal Automotive)
Duly noted, corrected and updated.

Did I miss any others?

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 04-28-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duly noted, corrected and updated.

Did I miss any others?
Yes, the Carbon Signal one you posted is v2. Their v1 spoiler doesn't require molding or camera relocation, but it does keep the OEM chrome spoiler, which means it's also 3Med to the car. v1 is available in CF.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Paneraiguy~thanks for the detailed reply and cool that no offense is taken.
With the exception of a couple spoilers that I wouldn't want on my car most of them have positives & negatives. Some look a bit too big, some too short, some retain the chrome piece, some flip up too much, some too flat (like my current oem version). I think your piece compliments the car pretty well, in fact the only shot you took that I think was a detraction was the overhead shot, that's where the overall width of the spoiler really comes through. All in all I give it a thumbs-up though.

I'd be interested to see how well that tape holds up over the long term, spoilers are in a pretty "active" area on the car so IMO some sort of physical connection would be preferred.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I'm not feeling it, but not my car, and kudos for being brave enough to make the effort. Mods would never happen if people didn't step up. Personally, I prefer the Stillen 1st gen, or the OEM duckbill, over this swept-up wing.

What I do like is what you're done with that custom LED strip design into the front bumper on the 07-09 non-sport front bumper. From your pic here, that looks almost OEM.

Moonlight White FTW.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM
taviooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the post. I've been researching spoilers for my sedan. This post totally helps. I like the look of your spoiler except like some have said, the gap is just a little wide for me. I'd be worried of dirt and sand even water getting in there and doing something to the paint.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Paneraiguy

@blnewt- I agree, the real test will be if the tape holds up over time. Since the airflow will always be pushing down on the spoiler to some degree you could say that it would help the adhesion given time but that remains to be seen.

To be fair, the double sided tape on my carbon diffuser has been holding up pretty well for almost two years now considering it has gone through two Colorado winters and numerous car washes.

Conversely, sometimes I feel like the whole back end of my car is like the automotive equivalent of "Lee press on nail assessories" for dudes (double sided tape OEM emblems, double sided taped diffuser and now the double sided tape spoiler)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Conversely, sometimes I feel like the whole back end of my car is like the automotive equivalent of "Lee press on nail assessories" for dudes (double sided tape OEM emblems, double sided taped diffuser and now the double sided tape spoiler)
Thanks for that morning lol

Quick Reply: New Stillen rear wing update/review