Noob Question / Brake Fluid Flush - ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
oldschool33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob Question / Brake Fluid Flush - ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid

I am getting ready to do a brake flush myself, on my G37 and I wanted to know if using a non-Infiniti brand brake fluid such as Super Racing Blue Racing Fluid is ok for the warranty?

ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4 : Amazon.com : Automotive ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Cheers!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool33
I am getting ready to do a brake flush myself, on my G37 and I wanted to know if using a non-Infiniti brand brake fluid such as Super Racing Blue Racing Fluid is ok for the warranty?

ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Cheers!
What does the owners and Factory Service Manual say about the proper use of brake fluid?

Telcoman
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
DOT 4 is fine. Just one thing to note about the Super Blue, the dye is illegal for use in Florida. You won't get stopped for it, but you could be fined or ticketed for it if it comes down to that.

Non-Infiniti brand fluid is fine. There isn't such a thing anyway. The only Nissan-branded fluid is the one they "exclusively" make for the GT-R.
The following users liked this post:
oldschool33 (04-27-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM
oldschool33

Thanks for the validation! I live far enough away from Florida!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i wouldn't do the blue stuff while under warranty, ate 200 is actually the same fluid but doesn't stain your lines blue if you want to use that stuff

i personally use motul but its about twice as expensive and not really needed unless you track the car. i just love the pedal feel it gives me though
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM
oldschool33

Originally Posted by mpegripper
i wouldn't do the blue stuff while under warranty, ate 200 is actually the same fluid but doesn't stain your lines blue if you want to use that stuff

i personally use motul but its about twice as expensive and not really needed unless you track the car. i just love the pedal feel it gives me though
Do you really think the blue dye will void the warranty? I like to swap between the Blue & Amber, so I know that got all the fluid out of the system...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i personally don't know how infiniti is about that stuff, but i just hate all that blue in there...its quite easy to figure out when you've gone through the whole fluid if you go through more than a half bottle of the ATE.

also, why do you need to do a full flush? i only ever did that on my race cars, it really doesn't matter on a street car.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
If you're going to bleed it, why not do a full flush. You've already opened the bottle of brake fluid. It all mixes eventually after enough driving and braking. I really don't see bleeding it partially as very useful. ymmv

On that note, how many quart(s) are needed to flush out the system on a sedan with the bbk brakes? I mention sedan because coupe likely has shorter length lines.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
soundmike

Originally Posted by oldschool33
Do you really think the blue dye will void the warranty? I like to swap between the Blue & Amber, so I know that got all the fluid out of the system...
I personally don't think so, but you never know with dealerships.

My biggest gripe with the blue fluid is that it does stain. At least it did on my Maxima. Which makes it a little trickier to see at a glance if your new amber fluid is still clear. Then again, a test strip can always be used.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
If you're going to bleed it, why not do a full flush. You've already opened the bottle of brake fluid. It all mixes eventually after enough driving and braking. I really don't see bleeding it partially as very useful. ymmv

On that note, how many quart(s) are needed to flush out the system on a sedan with the bbk brakes? I mention sedan because coupe likely has shorter length lines.
With the Motive bleeder, i go through at least 1L and always try to do a full fluid replacement (or that 1L, whichever is less.) This equates to going around the car quite a number of times.

The only time i bleed a little here and there is if i suspect air in the lines.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Motive PowerBleeder FTW! It makes changing fluid/bleeding almost fun, and damn easy. I actually dont mind doing the recommended full replacement every year or two. Sometimes its a little bit of a pain to setup and get sealed to the master cylinder....Ive been considering making my own attachment using a spare master cylinder cap and a plastic barb fitting threaded/glued into the center of it.

As for fluid, look for Castrol LMA. AutoX-ing friend of mine swears by it, so for a daily driver it has to be just fine. Plus its clear so no dyes to worry about.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm using the super blue. It isn't necessary, but it makes it much easier to know when your lines are clear if you switch back and forth between red and blue.

I don't track, but I do drive spirited.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
oldschool33

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Motive PowerBleeder FTW! It makes changing fluid/bleeding almost fun, and damn easy. I actually dont mind doing the recommended full replacement every year or two. Sometimes its a little bit of a pain to setup and get sealed to the master cylinder....Ive been considering making my own attachment using a spare master cylinder cap and a plastic barb fitting threaded/glued into the center of it.

As for fluid, look for Castrol LMA. AutoX-ing friend of mine swears by it, so for a daily driver it has to be just fine. Plus its clear so no dyes to worry about.
I use Castrol LMA in my 57 MGA since it does not contain silicone, but it definitely needs to be changed more often then ATE Super Blue Fluid. I did use the Motive PowerBleeder for about two years, but I always had issues with the seal and getting brake fluid everywhere. I ended up putting it on eBay and I switched to Mityvac Mv6835. Not trying to sound critical.

Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
soundmike

^ Wow, pretty penny. How's it working for you though? Curious, and it's always a good excuse for a new toy.

Thankfully i never had problems with the Motive. If i had to nit, it's that the cap is very tight to put on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for sealing purposes.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
oldschool33

Originally Posted by soundmike
^ Wow, pretty penny. How's it working for you though? Curious, and it's always a good excuse for a new toy.

Thankfully i never had problems with the Motive. If i had to nit, it's that the cap is very tight to put on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for sealing purposes.
The MV6835 works well, I put the compressor up to about 90lbs. and the job is pretty quick. Not much different than the Motive, but I get to use my compressor!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
soundmike

90psi? Isn't that a little too much pressure going through the lines? Or is it stepped down and regulated further down the system? (i.e. before it reaches the reservoir.)

Quick Reply: Noob Question / Brake Fluid Flush - ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid