Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Mishimoto Intake Tubes vs Stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Are you saying that you can tell the difference in engine noise by simply replacing the OEM flex-tube with this thing? Really?

And so much so that it gets the JAMIN smilie, eh?

Yes.

Due to the removal of the baffles in the stock tubes, it produces a more throatier sound that can be heard when accelerating!

My friend says with even just the aFe drop in filters, the engine noise has changed.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
Yes.

Due to the removal of the baffles in the stock tubes, it produces a more throatier sound that can be heard when accelerating!

My friend says with even just the aFe drop in filters, the engine noise has changed.
Hmm, OK, color me skeptical. But if you say so, and you're happy, there it is.

Let's see, $180+ for the pair of silicone tubes, and $100+ (each) for the AFE drop-in filters. That's about $400 after shipping.

Yikes.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Hmm, OK, color me skeptical. But if you say so, and you're happy, there it is.

Let's see, $180+ for the pair of silicone tubes, and $100+ (each) for the AFE drop-in filters. That's about $400 after shipping.

Yikes.
My cost for the Mishimoto Intake Tubes were only $105 shipped.
My friend paid $115 shipped for the aFe drop in filters.

Still not bad price for both at $220.
I actually found the aFe's for $105 shipped, so better deal for me...just need to see if they are worth it.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You did well on the price for that tube. Whenever I go researching those things, the rationale keeps getting slapped down hard when I see $180 +shipping. However, $105 shipped rather brings it down into the "Why not?" category. If only for the engine bling, assuming it's more attractive than the flex-tube, which I suspect, but would have to see first-hand, web pics notwithstanding.

Dragion, can you post a retail link?

And the AFE filters... you're right, that price must be for the pair, assuming the little (1 pr) means "one pair".

Here's a link from AFEPower.com.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-24-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM
eddie903

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you got lucky, I added z1 tubes and afe drop ins hoping for just a little sound like I got on my Acura but I am not a very sensitive person to changes and I am not happy with the sound. I possibly am going to try and sell mine (I know I should have gone cai to begin with). I however didn't really notice any difference in acceleration.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Just to mention, we did do 2 extra runs in DS mode and it was a bit closer...still I came out ahead.
This should have made NO difference at all. Assuming you were both WOT, DS vs D shifts at the same point.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
dragion
Registered Member

You did well on the price for that tube. Whenever I go researching those things, the rationale keeps getting slapped down hard when I see $180 +shipping. However, $105 shipped rather brings it down into the "Why not?" category. If only for the engine bling, assuming it's more attractive than the flex-tube, which I suspect, but would have to see first-hand, web pics notwithstanding.

Dragion, can you post a retail link?

And the AFE filters... you're right, that price must be for the pair, assuming the little (1 pr) means "one pair".

Here's a link from AFEPower.com.
I actually got mine from bossautoparts off of eBay, but was going to order from Vendor Tuner Z...Mike was out of the black version.

PM Michael @ Tuner Z and he'll take care of you.

bossautoparts:
Mishimoto 09 370Z Air Intake Silicone Hose Kit Black | eBay

Here is another one from eBay:
Mishimoto Mmhose 370Z 09AIBK 09 Nissan 370Z Black Silicone Air Intake Hose Kit | eBay

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...qhr-vqvhr.html

AFE:
AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filters

Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM
dragion
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Decision to add the aFe drop-in filters...actually bought them off my friend for an even $100

Testing between the two G's has not yet been done, due to the current weather here in Boston.
We are planning to make a few quick runs soon whenever possible to see how much or less an improvement this will make.

All I can say is that, I'm even more pleased with the way the combo has changed the sound of the exhaust output...more aggressive and throatier.
It reminds me of my HKS exhaust on my FX35, but quieter.

I'm finding that there is an improvement in the mid & high range...no change on the lower range.
More air can be heard when open throttle...or is it all in my head?
Highway performance is smoother entering on ramps and accelerating while passing.

At first, I noticed a decrease in gas mileage, but it has been almost 2 weeks since I added the aFe's and it has increased...even with the spirited driving!

Overall, I'm happy that with this intake combo set up...well worth the $205 spent.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Boywdr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE:

Decision to add the aFe drop-in filters...actually bought them off my friend for an even $100

Testing between the two G's has not yet been done, due to the current weather here in Boston.
We are planning to make a few quick runs soon whenever possible to see how much or less an improvement this will make.

All I can say is that, I'm even more pleased with the way the combo has changed the sound of the exhaust output...more aggressive and throatier.
It reminds me of my HKS exhaust on my FX35, but quieter.

I'm finding that there is an improvement in the mid & high range...no change on the lower range.
More air can be heard when open throttle...or is it all in my head?
Highway performance is smoother entering on ramps and accelerating while passing.

At first, I noticed a decrease in gas mileage, but it has been almost 2 weeks since I added the aFe's and it has increased...even with the spirited driving!

Overall, I'm happy that with this intake combo set up...well worth the $205 spent.

#boston #gopats!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice. On other forums, that would be a perfect sig-quote.
Now that was pretty funny, that motor's always turning eh Rochester?

Those tubes look intriguing, I just got an Injen SRI for $279 and damn that surround sound at WOT is so addictive, wonder what these tubes would do to the overall intake pkg? Not sure about the gains obviously, but the butt dyno at WOT seems to say improvements are there.

Cool that you're taking the time to do this dragion, would re-setting each cars ECU make the data even more reliable?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Now that was pretty funny, that motor's always turning eh Rochester?

Those tubes look intriguing, I just got an Injen SRI for $279 and damn that surround sound at WOT is so addictive, wonder what these tubes would do to the overall intake pkg? Not sure about the gains obviously, but the butt dyno at WOT seems to say improvements are there.

Cool that you're taking the time to do this dragion, would re-setting each cars ECU make the data even more reliable?
Regarding the re-set of each of the cars ECU, will probably not make much of a difference since both our driving style/habits are very similar.

All I can say is that combining the silicone tubes and the Injen SRI can only "improve" the overall intake package...go for it!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
eddie903

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't the SRI already replace the part of the intake that the silicone tubes replace?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by eddie903
Wouldn't the SRI already replace the part of the intake that the silicone tubes replace?
Not all kits go directly to the throttle body. Some are short, and intend for you to re-use the flex-tube.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie903
Not all kits go directly to the throttle body. Some are short, and intend for you to re-use the flex-tube.
Yeppers^^
Here's my Injen SRI that does indeed use the OEM tubes~
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not for nothing, Newt, but a few shop rags and a little elbow grease could do wonders for that engine bay. Those pretty blue pop-chargers look a little conspicuous, being so clean and all.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Intake Tubes vs Stock