ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

FI RHFC & UpRev Tune - Dyno

Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
OwenC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI RHFC & UpRev Tune - Dyno

I had my FI RHFC installed this weekend in addition to an UpRev tune.

As many have indicated the FI RHFC made the exhaust have a deeper note and slightly increased the sound. It's actually louder when I drive the car slower (i.e. RPMs hovering between 2-3k and I have an Automatic). If I get on the gas the intakes actually make more noise. Overall, I am extremely happy with the RHFC from FI. The quality is pretty ridiculous, it was so nice I wanted to hang it on the wall. I'm pretty conservative and was afraid it'd make it too loud, but with the windows up and music about 1/3 volume, you can't even hear the exhaust. No problems cruising while using bluetooth.

Now for the UpRev tune. I had my car tuned at Jtran Studios. Excellent group of guys, highly recommended! They installed the car RHFC and the tuner took the time to explain things to me, which honestly I didn't really understand. My main objective was to get the AFR in order.

All I can say is that I can't stop smiling when I drive the car now. It just takes off and feels like it wants to keep on going. With the tune, the car is much more responsive. He adjusted something which allows the tranny to shift faster (remember I have the 7AT) and the shift lag is gone. Where when you had to wait a bit before the next gear is engage, now the car just feels like it keeps pushing forward. You can feel the power in the mid-range. Even when I'm on the gas gently, the car just takes off and goes through the gears. They set me up with 3 maps (Tune, Valet, Stock). I haven't used my radar detector for almost a year now, but had to pull it out driving last night.

As for the dyno runs, I didn't do a before and after the HFC install. When we ran it before the tune, it was sitting at like 296 whp, and after the tune it was around the same. Tuner said it's due to the temp. difference on the before and after runs. The first run temps. were in the 80F, then he did the tune, allowed the car to cool, and in the final run he said the temps were reading around 108F. I was there for a good 6 hours. He told me they were planning to have a dyno day and I could run it again to see where it's sitting. I'm pretty happy with the numbers as is though. I honestly wasn't expecting to be this high on a Mustang Dyno.

Questions:

1) For those who understand how to read this dyno chart stuff...what do you guys think?
2) Will the faster shifts do harm to my car in the long run? Definitely not as smooth as factory.

Mods: R2C, FI RHFC, Invidia Q300, UpRev

Name:  SCAN0219.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  70.4 KB

Apologies for the long post. I've been on this site for almost 2 years now, mainly just reading and getting a ton of good information. Just wanted to contribute a little in case others were thinking about doing these mods.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Please excuse me for being transparent here, but are you sure these guys tuned your car? It honestly looks like nothing was changed.

The dyno sheets say you gained 3hp, and that's only in the high end. The graph does not show any A/F ratio plots either, and the numbers in the bottom show completely off A/F numbers. I really hope you didn't get scammed.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
bhvrdr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OwenC

As for the dyno runs, I didn't do a before and after the HFC install. When we ran it before the tune, it was sitting at like 296 whp, and after the tune it was around the same. Tuner said it's due to the temp. difference on the before and after runs. The first run temps. were in the 80F, then he did the tune, allowed the car to cool, and in the final run he said the temps were reading around 108F. I was there for a good 6 hours. He told me they were planning to have a dyno day and I could run it again to see where it's sitting. I'm pretty happy with the numbers as is though. I honestly wasn't expecting to be this high on a Mustang Dyno.

Your dyno report indicates the times each run was made. If you notice there was only two actual runs (run 1 and run 3 are the same run). Your "tuned" run (run 2) occurred supposedly 18 minutes after the baseline run. As G37 Sam stated, they are also missing the lambda data across the runs. I'd say you do not have any information in that dyno report to base any assumptions about their tune one way or the other. The dyno report is basically useless as far as being used to assess any tuning that occurred. My guess is that they either submitted to you incomplete and incorrect runs (a simple mistake that can be corrected by them going back in and reprinting the correct ones for you ) or else they messed up the dyno session (easy to do) and rather then redo it they submitted what they had and hoped you didnt understand the data anyways.

cheers! Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 12-06-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
OwenC
Registered Member

Well boy do I feel like a retard! Like I stated in the original post, I have no idea how to read the dyno report, which is also why I posted it here so the experts can provide their input. I appreciate you guys pointing this out!

I'm going to have to ask them for a reprint of my dyno run. A lot of folks here in Houston recommended these guys and I was happy with the care they took when working on the car. At this point I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was the wrong printout. Lets see what I find out...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
TruLux

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did you pay?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
296whp is a nice start. Now have it tuned and you'll be good to go.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
The first time i went to Jtran, i made like 5hp, and Johnny didnt even make me pay. just $200 for the license. im at 275hp now on the VQ35HR motor and 5AT. stillen Gen3 intake, RHFC and FI catback with the tune.