G37 Sedan

Gauging interest in having an understated trunk spoiler created for V36 sedan

Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
lsttango
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Gauging interest in having an understated trunk spoiler created for V36 sedan

I am in discussions with a first class company to develop an understated spoiler for the G35/37 sedan, and I would like to see how much interest there is out there for this product before we make the tooling. I was involved in the design of this car and we never got the spoiler quite right. I think a subtle lip spoiler that covers or replaces the chrome accent piece would finish the car nicely. If there is enough interest, we will bring it to market, so please spread the word to your G friends and reply to this thread.

Here is the idea:
+ Covers or replaces the silver finisher on the trunk.
+ More understated & coordinated with the trunk design elements than other spoilers:
• Shape-A gentle ark upward from the front to back edge in side view, with a rear lip. Similar to Carbon Signal, but with a more gentle slope (less duck bill).
• Size-Small to get understated OE look-between M3 size & Factory option while just covering the silver trunk finisher.
• Width-as wide as the trunk to provide wide image and allow the two outboard character lines on the top of the trunk to carry into the top surface of the spoiler.
• Rear vertical surface of spoiler will follow the smooth arc of the trunk in side view
• Rear edge of spoiler should follow the same arc as the trunk when looking from above
• Top edge of the spoiler in rear view should have a slight arc from L-R, to match trunk
• Bottom edge of the spoiler in rear view should cover chrome finisher, and line up with top edge of taillight at ends.
+ Camera-Rear vertical surface should be thin so rear camera image isn’t narrowed
+ Mounting- NO DRILLING -double stick tape if we pursue an overlay style. Using factory fasteners of silver trim + double stick tape on outboard ends if we replace factory silver trim.
+ Construction and fitment would be first rate. Likely carbon, but also considering fiberglass and polyurethane.

Here is my assessment of the existing spoilers. None of these comments are meant to criticize, just to help explain how this new spoiler will differ. If I am missing any, please let me know.

Factory Option:
+The only spoiler that replaces the silver trunk finisher, to provide a clean integrated look with polyurethane.
+ Rear vertical surface matches the arc of the factory trunk in the side view
- Style is a table top, not a lip style, so it looks heavy from the top view
- Size is good for coupe, but too large from our perspective for the sedan
- L&R ends are strange. They end between trunk edge and character lines, creating an awkward unintegrated appearance at the corners.
- Does not incorporate character lines in top of trunk, or line up with taillights in rear

Carbon Signal:
+ Generally nice shape with lip across spoiler. Follows arced vertical surfaces of the trunk
+ Rear view shows arc near L&R ends, but flattens out in the center
- Large, with duckbill style shape that rises from trunk lid quickly in side view
- Does not incorporate character lines in top of trunk, or line up with taillights in rear

Autokits X:
+ Lip spoiler shape is good. Lip is in the center section only
- Rear vertical surface is flat, which doesn’t match the arc of the trunk. This combined with the thick center section makes the spoiler look heavy from the rear view.
- Spoiler material is thick, which negatively affects the view out the rear view camera lens.
- Larger than we would like for the sedan.

Euro or T5i:
- Looks like an afterthought, as it doesn’t cover the chrome piece

Thanks. Please pass the word on and let us know what you think.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 PM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm sure if you develop a spoiler for the coupes it will generate more interest.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Who is this "first class company"? And what do you mean by "I was involved in the design of this car and we never got the spoiler quite right." Do you work for Infiniti and were one of the designers of the G37 coupe? But when you keep saying "we", do you work for this first class spoiler company or for Infiniti? Or neither? I'm sorry but I'm genuinely confused. Can you clear up who you are who's making this product, and what your stake is in it?

You seem to have a lot of information about a potential product that hasn't been produced yet for someone who doesn't work for the company, so you're obviously more than just an interested consumer.

A little more information would be very appreciated.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
If you have a picture of it could you post it? If you're still in the design stage can you possibly post a picture of an Auto-CAD design so we could get a feel for the design of the spoiler.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
jdmposer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsttango

Here is the idea:
+ Covers or replaces the silver finisher on the trunk.
+ More understated & coordinated with the trunk design elements than other spoilers:
• Shape-A gentle ark upward from the front to back edge in side view, with a rear lip. Similar to Carbon Signal, but with a more gentle slope (less duck bill).
• Size-Small to get understated OE look-between M3 size & Factory option while just covering the silver trunk finisher.
• Width-as wide as the trunk to provide wide image and allow the two outboard character lines on the top of the trunk to carry into the top surface of the spoiler.
• Rear vertical surface of spoiler will follow the smooth arc of the trunk in side view
• Rear edge of spoiler should follow the same arc as the trunk when looking from above
• Top edge of the spoiler in rear view should have a slight arc from L-R, to match trunk
• Bottom edge of the spoiler in rear view should cover chrome finisher, and line up with top edge of taillight at ends.
+ Camera-Rear vertical surface should be thin so rear camera image isn’t narrowed
+ Mounting- NO DRILLING -double stick tape if we pursue an overlay style. Using factory fasteners of silver trim + double stick tape on outboard ends if we replace factory silver trim.
+ Construction and fitment would be first rate. Likely carbon, but also considering fiberglass and polyurethane.

Here is my assessment of the existing spoilers. None of these comments are meant to criticize, just to help explain how this new spoiler will differ. If I am missing any, please let me know.

Factory Option:
+The only spoiler that replaces the silver trunk finisher, to provide a clean integrated look with polyurethane.
+ Rear vertical surface matches the arc of the factory trunk in the side view
- Style is a table top, not a lip style, so it looks heavy from the top view
- Size is good for coupe, but too large from our perspective for the sedan
- L&R ends are strange. They end between trunk edge and character lines, creating an awkward unintegrated appearance at the corners.

Carbon Signal:
+ Generally nice shape with lip across spoiler. Follows arced vertical surfaces of the trunk
+ Rear view shows arc near L&R ends, but flattens out in the center
- Large, with duckbill style shape that rises from trunk lid quickly in side view
I am currently in the market for a lip spoiler for my 2012 sedan. I quoted only the Carbon Signal and OEM option because they were the two I am currently considering.

Here are the points I really like:

+Shape - similar to Carbon Signal, but with a more gentle slope (less duck bill).
+Width - as wide as the trunk
+Mounting - NO DRILLING -double stick tape if we pursue an overlay style. Using factory fasteners of silver trim + double stick tape on outboard ends if we replace factory silver trim.

I was leaning more towards the OEM factory option because it completely replaces the chrome finisher and the fit has almost zero tolerances. However, I am turned off by the ends of the OEM spoiler because of how they seem to hang over the edges of the rear fender. As for the Carbon Signal, I really like the aggressive duckbill styling and carbon or FRP options. But, I do not like the fact that it doesn't completely cover the chrome finisher on the bottom edge of the spoiler.

I am looking forward to what you have proposed. It seems exactly what I am looking for as a blend of the OEM spoiler and the Carbon Signal spoiler. Please keep us updated.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like an interesting proposal. I love my oem lip spoiler and think it looks great on lowered/modded sedans, but agree that it may add a bit more sport to a stock G that may be a bit out of place.

I know all the other spoilers except the Carbon Signal, pics of that and any renderings of the proposed spoiler would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by My'09G37X
If you have a picture of it could you post it? If you're still in the design stage can you possibly post a picture of an Auto-CAD design so we could get a feel for the design of the spoiler.
I would like to see concept pictures as well. I would be interested if it looks better than the oem spoiler and the price is right.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM
lsttango
Registered Member

Black Betty, I used to work for Infiniti. I was in charge of planning the G sedan, coupe, convertible & GTR, and was very involved in the styling and development of those products.
I own a 2009 sedan, and I have spoken to a number of dealers and owners who are interested in a more integrated lip spoiler than what the factory makes because the chrome accent piece can be polarizing (more Jag DNA than sporty). I would rather not mention the company until we see enough interest and decide to move forward. I don't want to affect anyone's brand image. I don't have an interest in the company who would make the spoiler. I am just an owner who hasn't found the ideal spoiler on the market and started working with an industry contact. You don't have to worry though, we won't bring this to market unless we can be proud of it. Thanks for your interest.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM
lsttango
Registered Member

JDMPOSER, I completely agree on the awkwardness of how the factory spoiler ends. It neither lines up with the outboard character lines or the outer edge of the trunk. Our spoiler will go all the way to the end and the character lines will follow into the top of the spoiler. Thanks for your feedback. I didn't know the carbon signal didn't cover the bottom edge of the chrome spoiler. I hope the 2nd gen G owners get passionate about this, so we can bring a nice piece to market. I will keep everyone informed.

BLNEWT, please search this forum for pictures of the carbon signal spoiler.

Thanks gang
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
lsttango
Registered Member

Guys, I wish I could show you CAD drawings. We first have to scan the trunk, and both the scanning and design take money. Once we see enough interest in the product, we will scan and design the piece and show in on the boards. Hopefully my description gives enough detail until then. Please pass on the word, so we know how many people want one of these.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd be interested and I know a few people I work with who have one would also be. Depending on price and looks of course
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interested. I'm in the market for a lip spoiler and always felt there was something off with the oem. Now that you guys mentioned the corners, it makes sense.

I like the Wald lip spoiler. But wish it extended all the way to the sides of the trunk, and that it completely covered the top (horizontal plain) of the chrome finisher. I would paint the chrome finisher body color (in my case-OB) to finish the look.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Infiniti designers could just get rid of the chrome piece all together and just have a regular trunk. But a understated spoiler would be a good alternative.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thanks for the more detailed explanation. As a sedan owner I'd have interest depending on the company and the design.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM
zoner

Actually I like the stock spoiler. If you can call it that. I like the detail chrome and the fact that the spoiler is almost non existent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauging interest in having an understated trunk spoiler created for V36 sedan