G37 Sedan

A few questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 AM
FunG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions/concerns

Hi everyone!

Just got my first G (G37x, 7AT) a month ago (lease) and love the car. I was "creeping" on this forum for a while and wanted to ask a few questions which I could not find the answer to. I have an OCD when it comes to car care and "wellness" (doesn't matter leased or bought). The car currently has 900 miles on it and I wanted to know if these "problems" are normal and I am not bugging out. So here are my concerns

1. Last week I noticed that while in "D" mode I can feel and see the gear shifter moving down when accelerating and up when pressing on the brake. It never happens in "DS" mode only in "D" mode. Is it normal?

2. Around the same time I also noticed a whining/whistling noise while accelerating after a stop. It is not very loud but noticeable. The noise goes away once the gear shifts. Normal or no?

3. Today, I noticed a "click" when I move the shifter from drive to park. Normal?

Hopefully someone can help me out!

P.S By far the best community and forum.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM
PAULY_LONG

#3 is completely normal. Two (separate) things going on that click when you put it in park - 1) brake interlock and 2) the doors automatically unlock by default (you can change this later if you don't like it.

I've never noticed #1 - may or may not be happening on my car.

There are lots of threads here about noises while driving/accelerating - you may want to check your symptoms against them for #2
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 AM
amt120

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never seen #1 happen in D mode just DS mode due to what I believe is the rev matching. Do you actually see the shifter moving or just the car's transmission switching gears. That's usually normal when you're slowing down, the car downshifts and when you're accelerating up to a certain point it shifts up. In d mode, the shifts are shorter for fuel economy reasons.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 AM
FunG37

Originally Posted by PAULY_LONG
#3 is completely normal. Two (separate) things going on that click when you put it in park - 1) brake interlock and 2) the doors automatically unlock by default (you can change this later if you don't like it.

I've never noticed #1 - may or may not be happening on my car.

There are lots of threads here about noises while driving/accelerating - you may want to check your symptoms against them for #2
The click sounds comes from the hood not the interior... could it be something else?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 AM
FunG37

Originally Posted by amt120
I've never seen #1 happen in D mode just DS mode due to what I believe is the rev matching. Do you actually see the shifter moving or just the car's transmission switching gears. That's usually normal when you're slowing down, the car downshifts and when you're accelerating up to a certain point it shifts up. In d mode, the shifts are shorter for fuel economy reasons.
I can see it moving slightly and feel it whenever i rest my hand on the gear selector... it actually never happens in DS mode just D.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 AM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Number two is normal. I have noticed this in G37 2010 and up. I think it may occur in every gear but by then the engine noise and wind noise drowns it out.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FunG37
The click sounds comes from the hood not the interior... could it be something else?
Do you park on a hill or slope a lot? whenever im taking my car out of park on a hill or a slope, i hear a loud and definite click from under the hood. if im on level ground its barely audible but still there. its normal.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^If parking on an incline, you should engage the parking brake while in neutral. Take your foot off the service brake (regular brake pedal), let the car settle, THEN shift it into park. When taking off, do the reverse of this. Doing this will put no stress on the parking pawl in the AT trans and it will shift into/out of Park with ease.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM
xdime00

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FunG37
Hi everyone!

Just got my first G (G37x, 7AT) a month ago (lease) and love the car. I was "creeping" on this forum for a while and wanted to ask a few questions which I could not find the answer to. I have an OCD when it comes to car care and "wellness" (doesn't matter leased or bought). The car currently has 900 miles on it and I wanted to know if these "problems" are normal and I am not bugging out. So here are my concerns

1. Last week I noticed that while in "D" mode I can feel and see the gear shifter moving down when accelerating and up when pressing on the brake. It never happens in "DS" mode only in "D" mode. Is it normal?

2. Around the same time I also noticed a whining/whistling noise while accelerating after a stop. It is not very loud but noticeable. The noise goes away once the gear shifts. Normal or no?

3. Today, I noticed a "click" when I move the shifter from drive to park. Normal?

Hopefully someone can help me out!

P.S By far the best community and forum.
I get number 3, going either way sometimes. Depends if I let the car settle when parking or an am on a hill mainly.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM
GoCougs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've found the G to make a fair amount of random/periodic subtle noises - fuel pump whine, AC compressor clutch thunk, squeaky belts, some sort of sucking sound on AT shifts, cold start idle cut-out, etc. The G is good car but she's a wee bit rough around the edges. I wouldn't worry about any of these things. These and other things are probably there in other cars but just more noticeable in the G .