G37 Sedan

My G Got Rear Ended Again!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry My G Got Rear Ended Again!

I was driving on I495 this Saturday afternoon. The car in front of me was slowing down as we were approaching traffic ahead. The cars in front of him stopped, he stopped, and I stopped as well. But the car behind was still approaching me. He slammed his brake hard right before the final moment, but it wasn't good enough. Too late! Boom! Not a strong impact but I felt and heard it. I got off my car to inspect the damage. The rear license plate was damaged. The area next to it was dented and scratched. And the passenger side rear bumper is now misaligned. We were on the express lane. After our quick inspection, we got back to our car and pulled over to the shoulder on the expressway.

I called police. Ambulance came in a matter of minutes. No one was injured, so they went away. We waited for the police to come so that we could get a police report of the accident. We waited, waited, and waited. After 30 minutes, we were still waiting. I called 911 again to see when police will arrive. The operator gave me the generic answer "they are on the way". We waited few more minutes and still no police show up. We then decided to drive to the police station to file a report. I took a photo of his license plate, driver license, registration, and insurance. Then I followed him to the nearest police station.

The police at the station didn't want to do anything. He gave us 2 forms, one for each driver. Basically we are doing our own accident report.

The other driver quickly filled up his form, wrote down that he reared end me, signed it, and gave it to me so that I could contact his insurance company. He also apologized for the accident.

Here are photos of the damage:

Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
sorry to hear. but the bright side is, you're ok and it really isn't that bad. should be an easy fix.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The consequences of tailgating, especially on I-495 and other such insane roads.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your username seems a little contradictory.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by sniper27
sorry to hear. but the bright side is, you're ok and it really isn't that bad. should be an easy fix.
Yes, I'm confident that body shop will fix it up and it will be like new. But I wasn't happy with the way the police responded to the situation.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by G37CPA
The consequences of tailgating, especially on I-495 and other such insane roads.
I recall the guy wasn't tailgating. He kept enough distance. He just kept going and applied the brake too late.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by JohnnysG
Your username seems a little contradictory.
At the moment yes. But I'm sure I'm be happy again once it is fixed.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you're ok. Also glad the guy who rear ended you didn't just take off and stuck around for all that. Terrible job by the police, where are they when we truly need them?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
GhostFaceKilla
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
SadG. Ouch.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
shivers

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks almost exactly like the hit my car took back in July. The shop that fixed my car did a fantastic job. Best of luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
cy7878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was rear ended once. CHP showed up to basically tell us to move out of the way. California Hwy Patrol will not take any info if no one got hurt. CHP expects the drivers to exchange info and move on. This is where having a camera to take photos before the cars are moved will save a lot of aggravation later on if the guilty party decides later to dispute the facts.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by cy7878
I was rear ended once. CHP showed up to basically tell us to move out of the way. California Hwy Patrol will not take any info if no one got hurt. CHP expects the drivers to exchange info and move on. This is where having a camera to take photos before the cars are moved will save a lot of aggravation later on if the guilty party decides later to dispute the facts.
This is typical almost everywhere now...if they don't witness the accident and there is not evidence of a law being broken they only have the driver exchange information and let the insurance companies work it out from the information in the report.
This is the norm...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Good that it was not more serious. Good points to note if in an accident also. You do your own police report, wow.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
I recall the guy wasn't tailgating. He kept enough distance. He just kept going and applied the brake too late.
I got rear ended once in my other car, same scenario like yours. The guy was on cell phone using a Bluetooth headset. So a distraction is a distraction, it won't get better hands free, you response to situations with your brain first after all. Those stupid people just don't get it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Good that it was not more serious. Good points to note if in an accident also. You do your own police report, wow.
Unless there is a law broken a traffic accident is only a civil issue...that's why the police don't do anything other than provide you the report and they file it for record.
That's actually the way it's always been...in the past Police may have filled it out while you gave them the information, but today they are so busy with too many other issues. For a civil issue they don't have to do anything other than provide you the form.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My G Got Rear Ended Again!