Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Fuel Gauge not working right

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
BlueOnyxG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge not working right

Hey Guys, so i've noticed this for a little bit now, and am convinced i may have an issue with my Fuel Guage in my G sedan. Here is the issue.

When i fill the tank up, the gas needle dosen't seem to want to get right to the "Full" mark. It's just below. I've tried squeezing a few extra dollars in the take once it clicks the first time. Sometimes i've even overflowed the tank, which i knew for a fact it was full. The needle doesn't seem to jump right up to the Full mark on start up. It will eventually get closer to the full mark while you drive. Has anyone else experienced this issue? With all my other previous & current cars, including my Altima SE-R, Altima Coupe & TL, as soon as i fill the tank up, on start up it neele jumps right to full, and even beyond the full mark slightly.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes I have this issue. The gauge reads just below 7/8 full even when the tank is completely full. When the gauge reads completely empty and the distance reads ____ the tank still has 4 to 6 gallons in it.

I took it in and had the TSB performed and it was better for several months but reverted to being messed up again. I've just been living with it but I may take it back in.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mines the same way too! It reads a few gallons lower than what it actually has in my tank.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Same issue here. Also noticed that the gauge may read lower or higher depending on whether the car was parked at an incline or decline.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pictures will come in a sec when my phone starts working again....
BUT, i had a similar problem. Mine fills up to full everytime, but the second I get about 1/8, of course the "low fuel" signal comes up. If I shut off my car, and go to drive the same day a little later, i get ---- instead of any range, but its still at 1/8 full.

This time however, I got 9miles left on my range, with 1/8 tank.....dafuq?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here. Had this issue during the first fill up after delivery
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't see the fuel gauge from this picture, but take my word for it that it was on 1/8...so not necessarily on empty yet.
And if you notice, the "low fuel" signal didn't pop up.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
bocaytomas

My fuel gauge fluctuates as well, sometimes it will show just 1/2 a tank, but if i let it run through the car wash after the people are done drying and vacuuming it it will show higher that half a tank. I think it may be related to it idling for a while. Conversely, if i let the car idling for like an hour or two, the gauge wont go down immediately, only after i drive it a little it drops a little.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The sending unit which is part of the pump assy is known to stick. As BB mentioned, there is a TSB for it. I had to get mine fixed and it has been fine since.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No issue with mine. It takes around 50 miles of driving before the gauge moving below full mark.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
not sure if this is the same issue, but my old G35 had a defective fuel shutter valve (common problem) which prevented a complete fill up. at first i thought the fuel gauge was haywire, but it was actually the shutter valve not allowing a full tank.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
audifox

I had the same thing happen to my G25x last week as well as our FX35 a few months back. The dealer was well aware of the fuel gauge issues with some Infiniti models, both have been fixed under warranty and we have had no further problems. Just bring it in and they will fix it. Cheers!!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many gallons was your fill up?

my indicator pops up at about a 16.9 gallon fill up about 20 miles on the MTE. there's also the 2 gallon reserve... so i think mine is probably fine..

I wish it would actually tell you ur using the reserves.. like on the mercs.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
G2Envy

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes I have this issue. The gauge reads just below 7/8 full even when the tank is completely full. When the gauge reads completely empty and the distance reads ____ the tank still has 4 to 6 gallons in it.

I took it in and had the TSB performed and it was better for several months but reverted to being messed up again. I've just been living with it but I may take it back in.
Out of curiosity did you have to bring the car in with as little gas as possible in order for them to drop the tank? My friend with a 370 had this same problem and the Service guys asked him to bring the car in when the tank was 1/4 or less.

I took mine in and asked the service guy about this issue and he said that they'd have to drop the gas tank but if they didn't find anything wrong that I'd have to pay for the labor (I'm still under warranty). I'm just afraid they'll "find" nothing wrong and I'm out whatever the labor is. I didn't find a TSB for this so I might ask my friend to make me a copy of his servicing print out just in case?

It's very annoying when the fuel light comes on and I know I'm not near empty yet, especially when driving up hills!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Been having this same problem with all three of our Infiniti's so far, 1. 2005 FX, 2. 2008 G35x, 3. Current 2011 G37...not sure what the problem is but the G37 is being the worst right now...it could be the 'shutter valve' problem that a previous poster mentioned...it's really embarassing, sometimes I go to fill up gas, get in line at the station for a pump, pull up to the pump and then it only fills up 1/8 of a tank or less and just refuses to fill up any more and so I end up having waited in line for nothing but when I get back in the car it'll still say I'm half-empty or still low on gas...

gonna get it checked out soon @ the dealership

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge not working right