Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Fuel Gauge not working right

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM
FM3941
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My G37 2010 sedan was giving me bad gauge readings too. 1st I took out and om test/clean the float sensor on the driver's side, then did the same with the passenger side were the second float sensor/fuel pump is. This one gave me an erratic om's reading and noticed the ceramic card type resistor was damaged. So I decided to replace it. The best price I found for a new one was Ebay ($339.37). It arrived very quick and after replaced got the ECU reset by removing the battery. It took a few days for the ECU to learn the new part and driving habits (as I read here). Now the gauge is giving good reading again. Hope this help someone who is looking for a solution.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add a couple cents to the conversation here, I picked up a 2009 G37 in April of 2017 with 30k on it. A creampuff!! I drove off the lot with a full tank, and finally had to fill it a week or so later. I purposely waited until the low fuel warning light came on so I could see how many gallons it would take at that point, I figured about 18 or so considering it's a 20-gallon tank and the range was showing about 35 miles left on the remaining fuel so I figured it was pretty low. It took a little over 16 gallons at the first shut-off click of the pump which I thought odd. I shoved maybe another gallon in. I say unusual because in my experience, the low fuel warning comes on with 2-3 gallons left in the tank, not nearly 4.

The needle reads above the F when filled, but takes a minute or two to get up there, and I've never driven a car where the needle didn't read above F when filled up. I let it run low and the range reads 30-something miles left (mixed driving conditions, averaging 22-23 mpg per the computer) when the low-fuel warning comes on and the needle is a couple line markings above the E. So I'm thinking the gauge reads higher than actual when it gets down there as I'd expect the needle to be lower with 35 left on the range. I find that odd as most cars read lower than actual down at that level. Of course, that depends on the shape of the tank, the location of the float, the movement of the fuel, etc. I have figured out the float seems to be near the front of the tank.

I guess the only way to find the true capacity of the tank/filler tube is to have a gallon of gas handy, run it dry, put the gallon in and then hopefully there's a station close by so you burn as little of that gallon as possible getting there. But I'm not doing that with this car.

Welcome to hear feedback if anyone has any input.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by FM3941
My G37 2010 sedan was giving me bad gauge readings too. 1st I took out and om test/clean the float sensor on the driver's side, then did the same with the passenger side were the second float sensor/fuel pump is. This one gave me an erratic om's reading and noticed the ceramic card type resistor was damaged. So I decided to replace it. The best price I found for a new one was Ebay ($339.37). It arrived very quick and after replaced got the ECU reset by removing the battery. It took a few days for the ECU to learn the new part and driving habits (as I read here). Now the gauge is giving good reading again. Hope this help someone who is looking for a solution.

I bought a fuel pump and a the sending unit from ebay and I'm still having the same issues??
Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ca428
Just to add a couple cents to the conversation here, I picked up a 2009 G37 in April of 2017 with 30k on it. A creampuff!! I drove off the lot with a full tank, and finally had to fill it a week or so later. I purposely waited until the low fuel warning light came on so I could see how many gallons it would take at that point, I figured about 18 or so considering it's a 20-gallon tank and the range was showing about 35 miles left on the remaining fuel so I figured it was pretty low. It took a little over 16 gallons at the first shut-off click of the pump which I thought odd. I shoved maybe another gallon in. I say unusual because in my experience, the low fuel warning comes on with 2-3 gallons left in the tank, not nearly 4.

The needle reads above the F when filled, but takes a minute or two to get up there, and I've never driven a car where the needle didn't read above F when filled up. I let it run low and the range reads 30-something miles left (mixed driving conditions, averaging 22-23 mpg per the computer) when the low-fuel warning comes on and the needle is a couple line markings above the E. So I'm thinking the gauge reads higher than actual when it gets down there as I'd expect the needle to be lower with 35 left on the range. I find that odd as most cars read lower than actual down at that level. Of course, that depends on the shape of the tank, the location of the float, the movement of the fuel, etc. I have figured out the float seems to be near the front of the tank.

I guess the only way to find the true capacity of the tank/filler tube is to have a gallon of gas handy, run it dry, put the gallon in and then hopefully there's a station close by so you burn as little of that gallon as possible getting there. But I'm not doing that with this car.

Welcome to hear feedback if anyone has any input.

keep a gas tank in your tank, cuz one day I was driving on the highway and when got off of the highway, 5 min after the car died on the road and I had to park it and walk to the gas station. when I looked at the tank it showed I had lots of gas.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Did the gauge show you had plenty of gas or the range readout? The other day my range said zip while the gauge read a couple tick marks above E. I didn't fill it as I don't drive the car a lot so I put in pretty much $20 at a time.

Also, did it start easily and run well after you put gas in?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:53 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ca428
Did the gauge show you had plenty of gas or the range readout? The other day my range said zip while the gauge read a couple tick marks above E. I didn't fill it as I don't drive the car a lot so I put in pretty much $20 at a time.

Also, did it start easily and run well after you put gas in?

sorry for the delay

when I go to the gas station and fill it up it will show full, I just bought a fuel pump and sending unit and the car is doing the same thing. my car had died twice on the road this week, on saturday I put $40 and the died right in at work, half the car on the sreet and the other half on the sidewalk lol. I was able to push it in the parking lot at work with the help of a good Samaritan.

so if you look at the pic you would see its all weird.
Any one of you experience something like that b4 where every time I start the car I hear a big clunking noise and sometime the whole car vibrate when Im at a stop sign.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Gauge not working right-20170622_074709.jpg   Fuel Gauge not working right-20170622_160219.jpg   Fuel Gauge not working right-20170622_164724_001.jpg   Fuel Gauge not working right-20170622_164724_002.jpg   Fuel Gauge not working right-20170622_222012.jpg  

Old 07-14-2017, 05:42 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

After so many incident where my car stalls (3 so far) I've decided to get a new fuel pump and sending unit since the last 2 that I've bought are giving me the same problem with the fuel gauge. before I do that I was told that I was suppose to reset the ECU is that true??

can someone verify if this one from ebay is compatible and wont give me any problem.

Fuel Pump Module Assembly Delphi FG1183 fits 09-13 Infiniti G37 3.7L-V6 | eBay

Tks in advance.

Last edited by flipmode007; 07-14-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
FM3941
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flipmode007
After so many incident where my car stalls (3 so far) I've decided to get a new fuel pump and sending unit since the last 2 that I've bought are giving me the same problem with the fuel gauge. before I do that I was told that I was suppose to reset the ECU is that true??

can someone verify if this one from ebay is compatible and wont give me any problem.

Fuel Pump Module Assembly Delphi FG1183 fits 09-13 Infiniti G37 3.7L-V6 | eBay

Tks in advance.
Hi flipmode007, that Delphi pump is a cheaper replacement. The OEM I bought from Ebay is 170401NC0C. It will cost like $60.00 more but it's original. Whatever you buy do the ECU reset. Mine is working fine so far after replaced.
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (08-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:59 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by FM3941
Hi flipmode007, that Delphi pump is a cheaper replacement. The OEM I bought from Ebay is 170401NC0C. It will cost like $60.00 more but it's original. Whatever you buy do the ECU reset. Mine is working fine so far after replaced.

I have done the ECU reset and it did not work but I heard that be that the gauge cluster needs to be calibrated. I have tried 3 different sending unit and 2 different fuel pump and same result. lol and now for the past week the gauge is stock at 1/2 tank.

To anyone who are having problem with their Unit I came across this video and it does teach us why are sending unit is failing,hope you take a look at it, its really informative.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 PM
crocsg37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my 2010 G37 for six days. The fuel gauge showed a little over a quarter tank. I put about a hundred miles on the car before the computer said I only had 23 miles to empty so I filled the tank. It only took about 7 1/2 gallons and the gauge then showed 1/3 full.. I had the same experience today when I filled the car at almost empty. I am just surprise the gauge and computer are so far off.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Ca428
Registered Member

Did you try to put more fuel in or did the pump/nozzle handle keep clicking off indicating the tank is full? At some pumps you have to pump slower or remove it from the tank and then try again. That has happened to me only a few times with my 2009 coupe, but I was able to get it filling and topped off again. It depends on where you go sometimes.

A few times after a fill up, I've let the needle get to the bottom line of the gauge, filled up and it took 18 gallons (the tank is a 20-gallon capacity). That's been pretty consistent. I'll also do the old-fashioned average mpg on the computer vs miles traveled so I know what I've burned, and then do the math to figure how far I can still go and build in a cushion. I let it get below the line the other night and it took I think 18.6 gallons.

Yeah, in this day and age, hard to believe Nissan/Infiniti got this wrong. I use Shell premium to keep the system clean.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Try this link if you're still having problem with your gauge
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...t-working.html
Old 11-30-2019, 09:43 AM
Ca428
Registered Member

Hello,

Not sure if you are still on this forum but could you re-post pics as they are no longer showing. Also, do you have a link to directions of how to do this?

THanks,
-Chuck