Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 doesnt start, lights wont go off, tail lights flicker

Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Foxtrot_01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 doesnt start, lights wont go off, tail lights flicker

Last night I was waiting for friend, I parked, turned off the car(G37 2009 Journey) and decided to play with my phone, after 35-40 minutes I tried to start the car and nothing, seemed like a dead battery, main lights went on and stayed on and wouldnt turn off, as power got drained only the left main light was on and the taillights, after about 30 min, the main left light went off and only the taillights were on but very light, they started flickering, the start/stop button also flickered for about 20 minutes.

The AAA guy came to give me a jumpstart, he said the battery was dead and it was gone, no way it will charge or retain charge so that I shouldnt be surprised when next morning it doesnt start. I called infiniti they said they could prorate the reimbursement of a new battery.
This morning I started the car and it was like nothing had happened, today at lunch it turned again. I called the dealership and they said they have never heard about lights flickering, I thought maybe it was a security measure in case the car was stranded somewhere the taillights will flicker until it finally drained the battery. Apparently the service advisor has never heard about this.

Has anyone had a similar occurrence? I remember a year ago something like this happened, I went out when I came back several hours later it was dead but I dont remember the start/stop button or the taillights flickering.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
maybe a short somewhere
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Foxtrot_01

the AAA guy connected the battery checker and said it was dead and it wouldnt get more charge yet it started this morning and this midday. It's like nothing every happened last night.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 AM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very strange !!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 AM
maxfinity

Our cars do some weird things when the battery is almost completely drained.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Foxtrot_01

2nd day and the battery is still working, this is weird, car got possesed or something. doesnt make any sense that it just died in 35 minutes of me being inside the car and not using anything electric. Still xenon lights wouldnt turn off and after the battery drained what ever was left made the taillights flicker.
I am going to go to get the battery checked in case. Any advise in the event I have to buy a new battery? any specific battery?

thanks for all your help!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxtrot_01
Last night I was waiting for friend, I parked, turned off the car(G37 2009 Journey) and decided to play with my phone, after 35-40 minutes I tried to start the car and nothing, seemed like a dead battery, main lights went on and stayed on and wouldnt turn off, as power got drained only the left main light was on and the taillights, after about 30 min, the main left light went off and only the taillights were on but very light, they started flickering, the start/stop button also flickered for about 20 minutes.

The AAA guy came to give me a jumpstart, he said the battery was dead and it was gone, no way it will charge or retain charge so that I shouldnt be surprised when next morning it doesnt start. I called infiniti they said they could prorate the reimbursement of a new battery.
This morning I started the car and it was like nothing had happened, today at lunch it turned again. I called the dealership and they said they have never heard about lights flickering, I thought maybe it was a security measure in case the car was stranded somewhere the taillights will flicker until it finally drained the battery. Apparently the service advisor has never heard about this.

Has anyone had a similar occurrence? I remember a year ago something like this happened, I went out when I came back several hours later it was dead but I dont remember the start/stop button or the taillights flickering.
the flickering lights you're talking about can actually be from a drained/dead battery. if the battery doesn't hold charge, then the flickering lights (along with loss in power) is normal. i've seen it happen on several other cars.

you don't have any mods do you? ie bb grounding wire.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
zzeiler
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this happened to me twice, but it was 2 weeks apart. I leave the lights on the auto option and they just never turned off. When I would try to start the car everything inside of the car would start flickering. Had a friend jump the car, ran it for 20mins turned it off and it was fine. Took it to the dealership and they said the battery was perfect. This car is brand new, maybe 3000 miles on it. Any new ideas on this?