Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters

Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikejg
I ordered a set from OC infiniti a few days ago.

Edit: NM just went to the site and they're not listed anymore.

More Edit: I emailed them about a question I had and they said the kit I ordered was the last one they had with no ETA on when they'd get more.
It think it was me.
I bought the last black set from OC Infiniti on eBay on 7/23. It was just delivered today.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Let us know how you like the paddles
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

So I just finished installing the paddles and they work great! Pretty cool and very easy to install.

Total time for me was 3 hours. It only took so long because unfortunately it seems there are some discrepancies/errors on the DIY for sizes of bolt/screws to use. I ended up making 3 trips to Lowes to get the correct sizes and figured I would list the sizes I used for others.

1) 2 6mm nuts (you use them to secure the paddle shifters on in the front)
2) 2 6mm screws (about 1/4 inch in length). Use them to screw the paddle shifters in the back
3) 2 12mm screws (also 1/4 inch in length) Use to screw the new trim in place.

Had I had correct bolts from the beginning, I think it would have only taken about 1 hour total.

I hope this helps others.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buffpatel
So I just finished installing the paddles and they work great! Pretty cool and very easy to install.

Total time for me was 3 hours. It only took so long because unfortunately it seems there are some discrepancies/errors on the DIY for sizes of bolt/screws to use. I ended up making 3 trips to Lowes to get the correct sizes and figured I would list the sizes I used for others.

1) 2 6mm nuts (you use them to secure the paddle shifters on in the front)
2) 2 6mm screws (about 1/4 inch in length). Use them to screw the paddle shifters in the back
3) 2 12mm screws (also 1/4 inch in length) Use to screw the new trim in place.

Had I had correct bolts from the beginning, I think it would have only taken about 1 hour total.

I hope this helps others.
The paddle shifters you purchased don't come with screws?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

Nope. No screws in the package. I didn't think they were supposed to come with them, but I might be wrong. BTW - I got mine from Rick at OC infiniti.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
mikejg

I just received my kit from OC Infiniti today and installed it today. It had 2 screws w/ nuts and 2 add'l washers /nuts to mount paddles. I didn't get any screws for the new trim pieces, but I just left them off. It seems pretty solid without them, but I may go buy a couple just in case.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Nope. No screws in the package. I didn't think they were supposed to come with them, but I might be wrong. BTW - I got mine from Rick at OC infiniti.
Same here. I got mine from Rick at OC Infiniti and it only came with two 6mm bolts, nuts and washers.

I checked the service manual and it does look like you're supposed to use two more screws in the lower trim piece for the set-up with the paddle shifters. (See the attached diagram)
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters-paddle_trim.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
BLKG37X

^^ So how do you guys like them??
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
mikejg

They're sweet. I think mostly I'll use them to downshift when trying to accelerate after decelerating in that weird no man's land where it takes the transmission forever to figure out what it wants to do. And maybe during playtime.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
BLKG37X

I really want them, but I'm afraid to mess up the istall. Im not very good with electronics, or with my hands in general. Don't want the steering wheel falling off while on the highway or something.
I wonder if there are shops that know how to install those...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
mikejg

Dude, it's REALLY easy. You don't have to mess with the steering wheel at all except to turn it every now and then. You just take off the trim pieces, bolt on the paddle shifters and install new trim pieces. That's it. Super easy. 30-45 mins and you're done.

It's not worth it to pay someone to do it, trust me.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
BLKG37X

^^ Okay if you say so.

Next weeks thread: My DIY paddles electrocuted me on downshift at 80MPH, causing a 30 car pileup.

Will give it a shot, gonna purchase them as soon as I get the chance.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

BLKG37x,
I think it'll go better than you think. Just make sure to take time and study the process while waiting to get the kit. I looked over and over at that DIY on G35.com. Especially read what people wrote after installing it (about how they got the lower trim off and how difficult it was).
Also one guy put a lot of pics on facebook of his install (its near the end of the DIY). Look at all pictures and make sure you can identify where each one is. If you can do that, it shouldn't be hard at all. Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
^^ Okay if you say so.

Next weeks thread: My DIY paddles electrocuted me on downshift at 80MPH, causing a 30 car pileup.

Will give it a shot, gonna purchase them as soon as I get the chance.
You can certainly have a mechanic you know do it for you. Just print out the instructions and show them to him. I think $50 is a fair cost.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 PM
BLKG37X

BLKG37x,
I think it'll go better than you think. Just make sure to take time and study the process while waiting to get the kit. I looked over and over at that DIY on G35.com. Especially read what people wrote after installing it (about how they got the lower trim off and how difficult it was).
Also one guy put a lot of pics on facebook of his install (its near the end of the DIY). Look at all pictures and make sure you can identify where each one is. If you can do that, it shouldn't be hard at all. Good Luck!
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
You can certainly have a mechanic you know do it for you. Just print out the instructions and show them to him. I think $50 is a fair cost.
Thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters