Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 PM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did mine last week. I use them primarily to downshift when coming off the highway instead of riding the brakes. Super easy install....I did not remove the steering wheel or disconnect the battery. Just remember, the bottom trim piece goes off first and on last.....and mine is a 2011 Journey (premium, no nav, no sport)
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested in paddle shifters also. I once asked the dealership and they told me its not possible. If anyone finds the DIY please post.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll try to locate the thread again, as I went through all this when installing them on my car (see sig for car).

1) You can tell if your car is pre-wired by removing the 2-3 screws under the steering column plastic covers, and pulling the covers down and out of the way. It can take some force to pop them off, don't be afraid. There will be two plastic connectors, one on each side, and they will be taped up so well you may not even see them. Dig around, if you find an open ended cable with tape on it, that's probably it - unwrap the tape and you will see the connector.

2) I bought my kit from Riverside Infiniti, there may be others.

3) Despite what some DIY messages say, you do not have to remove the steering wheel and air bag, nor buy the special torx wrench too.

4) I re-used some of my steering column plastic. You may be one screw short in the end, but that's okay.

5) Do this on a cool day so you don't stress out!

6) Yes the newness of the paddles does wear off over time, but I still use it off and on. Once it gets to be habit to use, it's nice.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-23-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added clarity
Old 07-23-2011, 02:05 PM
TinsleyC

Okay, this is the thread I found and read through, but again, note that you do NOT have to remove the wheel and air bags as first noted in the thread. Best to read through it all, I recall about 1/2 way through the thread folks chimed in with adjustments to the DIY that got around this. I did not remove my wheel or bags and it went fine.

DIY: Installing Sport paddles - G35Driver

The TRIM COVER SCREWS shown in the 10th photo down can be accessed by turn the wheel right (to access left screw) and left (to access right screw) - hence, no reason to remove the wheel.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-23-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
So is the upshifting delay still there with the paddles? I've noticed the most delay when manually upshifting on my X using the shifter, downshifting seems to be pretty instant. Just curious if you've noticed any difference.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
TinsleyC

It's the same shifting speed, no real change there. The tranny gets the same signal, just from the paddle instead of the shifter.

What I like about using the paddle is that if you're in drive mode it'll return to drive mode after the revvs level out. Different from DS mode shifting where it stays in a numbered gear once you shift manually.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Okay, this is the thread I found and read through, but again, note that you do NOT have to remove the wheel and air bags as first noted in the thread. Best to read through it all, I recall about 1/2 way through the thread folks chimed in with adjustments to the DIY that got around this. I did not remove my wheel or bags and it went fine.

DIY: Installing Sport paddles - G35Driver

The TRIM COVER SCREWS shown in the 10th photo down can be accessed by turn the wheel right (to access left screw) and left (to access right screw) - hence, no reason to remove the wheel.
The modification for this DIY that allows you to install the paddle shifters without removing the steering wheel is on page 20 of the thread.

DIY: Installing Sport paddles - Page 20 - G35Driver

1. Steering position all the way out and up.
2. remove lower trim from the steering column
3. turn steering wheel to the left, and remove the screw on the right column trim this is the screw behind the steering wheel. This seems to be a little hard to do, but just pull a little, and it will pop right out. This might be the hardest part, but don't get scared. You wont mess anything up.
4. Turn steering wheel to the right and remove the left screw. then Remove the trim on the left. (If you have the electric telescoping wheel, then you would need to unplug the telescoping ****. fairly simple)
5. Plug the paddles in and put the new trim in place.

I've got a set of paddle shifters on order so I'll be doing this mod myself soon.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 PM
TinsleyC

That's it!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 AM
IrishG37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Can't wait to get this mod. All sedans prewired? Even without Nav package? Thanks Again
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 AM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres two kits, one for electric steering column and one for manual column, make sure u order the appropriate one!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by IrishG37x
Thanks for all the responses. Can't wait to get this mod. All sedans prewired? Even without Nav package? Thanks Again
Most are, but the only way to know for sure its to remove the column cover and look. Fortunately that is easy. Re-read this thread...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an interesting quiry to make on this thread.

I just had my car looked at by an Infiniti DM for my on going 7AT displeasure. I mentioned that many posters have installed Paddle Shifters in Non-Sport versions of the G37X or non-X... I requested that I would like to "try" them as potential resolution to my complaint. The DM test drove my car - looking for a specific Tranny Problem. No Tranny problem is indicated, it is working as designed. But he called today to say that The Paddle Shifters are not an Option - in other words, Infinti is not willing to add the PShifters because, despite the "blog" entries as he put it, they will Not Work on My car??? He confirmed with Infiniti Engineers. Is this BS or Not??
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Originally Posted by Almatti
I have an interesting quiry to make on this thread.

I just had my car looked at by an Infiniti DM for my on going 7AT displeasure. I mentioned that many posters have installed Paddle Shifters in Non-Sport versions of the G37X or non-X... I requested that I would like to "try" them as potential resolution to my complaint. The DM test drove my car - looking for a specific Tranny Problem. No Tranny problem is indicated, it is working as designed. But he called today to say that The Paddle Shifters are not an Option - in other words, Infinti is not willing to add the PShifters because, despite the "blog" entries as he put it, they will Not Work on My car??? He confirmed with Infiniti Engineers. Is this BS or Not??
I really hope this is BS, especially since I have a 2010 G37x too and I have a set of paddle shifters on order from OC Infiniti and they told me they would work!

I'm pretty sure there is at least one person on this site with a G37x they added paddle shifters to that can confirm it can be done. (We already know it works on a 2010 G37 Journey sedan courtesy of maxfinity.)

I'll be able to give you my own info on this in about a week once mine are delivered and I get a chance to try the install.

Last edited by DocJohn; 07-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Sorry, I should searched more carefully before my previous post...

squal17 has a 2010 G37x sedan and installed paddle shifters.

simpson_G37X has a 2010 G37x coupe and installed paddle shifters.

Guess its time to call BS on that Infiniti DM who said I can't be done!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
TinsleyC

It is BS, unless your G is not pre-wired. It may not be worth the expense to get it wired if it's not already. I think they're just trying to avoid installing a pair for you.

Remove the screws under the steering column and have a look. Again, those connectors can be hidden (wrapped in tape) and tucked in, you may have to dig them out if there, but most likely are there.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-28-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters