MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Stock sedan exhaust vs Coupe Stock exhaust (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/221749-stock-sedan-exhaust-vs-coupe-stock-exhaust.html)

twerk 05-19-2011 11:54 PM

Stock sedan exhaust vs Coupe Stock exhaust

What is the difference between the two? How come the coupe has more of a rumble? Or do I need to just have someone drive my sedan with me on the outside listening... lol

breaker05 05-20-2011 12:05 AM

My wife has a coupe and I have the sedan and I asked the dealer the the same question. I was told that "research" showed that people with the sedan didn't want the additional noise and it is to make it more of a luxury car while the coupe a more sporty one.

I can tell you I had no input in the "research" because I love the sound of the coupe exhaust over the sedan.

trcb777 05-20-2011 12:09 AM

The sedan is not as loud as the coupe. Different plumming. Get the invidia cat back. I just got it the other day and the car sounds awesome. Its not crazy loud like other cat-backs out there, but just a little louder the the stock coupe sound.

maxfinity 05-20-2011 12:12 AM

Im not a fan of loud exhaust. The stock sedan exhaust is fine with me, but The coupe exhaust is perfect. Not too loud but you can definitely hear it. I also think that's why the coupe is rated to have 2hp more than the sedan.

koa789 05-20-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by maxfinity (Post 3139587)
Im not a fan of loud exhaust. The stock sedan exhaust is fine with me, but The coupe exhaust is perfect. Not too loud but you can definitely hear it. I also think that's why the coupe is rated to have 2hp more than the sedan.

I think the 2hp higher rating is more of a marketing gimmick than an actual performance increase. Plus, the coupe is slower than the sedan anyways lol

eksigned 05-20-2011 12:48 AM

^ it's true. the exhaust on the car is a bit more free flowing. it was determined in a thread some where...

the coupe is slower than the sedan = true that. :) by a whole .2 seconds! :)

twerk 05-20-2011 01:08 AM

I think the coupe exhaust sounds perfect. I really don't want to go aftermarket with exhaust.. ehhh

tharbemiko 05-20-2011 01:15 AM

I agree the coupe exhaust sounds amazing. If the sedan's exhaust sounded just as great, I would not be considering getting an aftermarket exhaust atm...

carz 05-20-2011 02:06 PM

the difference in the coupe vs sedan exhaust is the way the exhaust is constructed and laid.

the sedan has 2 exhaust canisters.....and mounted flat behind each wheel. the coupe has 2 canisters that are attached and mounted in the middle of the car transversally.

making the sedan "quieter" is definitely a justified reason...it makes sense. however if you really push the car, you can hear that coupe growl...on a lower note. The other thing is, due to the transverse mounting....the exhaust reduces the depth of the trunk making it incredibly shallow...which isnt such a good idea for a sedan people would use for traveling. (you have to consider someone wouldnt buy the coupe if they had a family and 2 kids)

personally, I feel that getting Berk HFC's with the sedan gets the exhaust closest to the coupe growl....closer than any aftermarket

twerk 05-20-2011 04:09 PM

carz thanks for you input !

kaoticdemize 05-20-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by eksigned (Post 3139609)
^ it's true. the exhaust on the car is a bit more free flowing. it was determined in a thread some where...

0.4 secs :) it is actually quite a difference lol.

koa789 05-20-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize (Post 3140050)
0.4 secs :) it is actually quite a difference lol.

It makes no sense that they give the coupe a "sportier" appeal just to have it be slower lol

ShyAznB8oi 05-20-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by eksigned (Post 3139609)

wouldn't it depend on the driver is good or not? pretty much coupe drivers are faster than sedan drivers :D jkjk

Ibanez540r 05-20-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by koa789 (Post 3140055)
It makes no sense that they give the coupe a "sportier" appeal just to have it be slower lol

They didn't intentionally have it be slower. It is just a bit heavier due to structural bracing. "Sportier appeal" is pretty much standard on a coupe vs. sedan model.

Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi (Post 3140061)
wouldn't it depend on the driver is good or not? pretty much coupe drivers are faster than sedan drivers :D jkjk

Those numbers would come down to a driver's race in most cases. However, that's ignorant to say that coupe drivers are faster/better then sedan drivers. Not to be cocky, but I guarantee I can out drive 90% of people out there. I have a sedan because that's what meets my needs (Kids), not because of my abilities. ..Just saw the "jk" but still..

...anyway, been looking for this for months, but does the sedan and coupe have different diameter exhausts? Pretty sure they do..

Djfarhan 05-27-2011 01:44 PM

i just bought the berk hfc hoping to make my sedan sound like a coupe like here:

YouTube - ‪G37x Sedan with Berk HFC‬‏