Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cardevices
Hello Bythabay, I'd like to know if your fix to your G37 by changing the rack & pinion is still ok. I've been waiting all this time for the final solution to the anoying clicking noise of the steering wheel. I have the same problem and I have been following this post.

As I imported my G37 6mt overseases to Chile, I'd like to know if it is ok for me to invest on a new rack & pinion. It would be worth only if Nissan fixed the problem on the new ones, otherwise it will last a couple of months.

Did the noise come back after you replaced the part?

thankyou in advance!!
I have driven about 2k miles since the repairs and all is still good.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
cardevices

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok perfect.
One question, just to be 100% sure we are talking about the same defect. Could you notice when you had the noise if it increase after warming up the car?
Mine doesn't have any problem when the engine is cold. After you drive it 20 minutes and everything gets hot, the noise begins louder and louder.
I appreciate your answers.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cardevices
Ok perfect.
One question, just to be 100% sure we are talking about the same defect. Could you notice when you had the noise if it increase after warming up the car?
Mine doesn't have any problem when the engine is cold. After you drive it 20 minutes and everything gets hot, the noise begins louder and louder.
I appreciate your answers.
I'm not really sure, can't say.. I would just put your G up on a lift or some stands and play around with the steering system a bit (with the car off) to see if you can isolate where the sound is coming from.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Natour

Problem solved

I had the same issue everyone is talking about on my '11 G37S coupes. Southwest Infiniti in Houston replaced the wheel hub bearing and that didn't solve the problem. They also replaced the lower control arms and that solved the issue!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 AM
count zero

I also have this really slight sort of grinding noise when turning the steering wheel at really low speed - i.e. while parking in reverse or driving in the roundabout. The dealer told me I need to replace the steering shaft - guess will try that soon as it is starting to get on my nerves.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Gysper
Registered Member

Hey,

Just wanted to revive this to see if this noise might be the same issue as the OP:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sQ5SkeSVzUtqFD357

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxxKxZLrMnV8FH5C8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oYnzFp9tAb7w8S1a9

In these short quick videos, there's basically a clicking noise heard inside the interior when turning the steering while moving at ~20 mph. It doesn't happen during a stop but the clicking happens near the center infotainment system. These videos are showing very quick steering inputs when doing 20mph slaloms. Sorry about the road noise, but the noise can be compared to the clicking you hear when a gear meets a pinion. I removed the center navigation parts to see if it was a piece rubbing but it's definitely only audible when the car is turning while moving.