Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
if the noise is outside the car, check the ball joint and bolts that connect the upper control arm to the frame, all 3 were loose on my G, the lower ball joint got 4 turns on it, thank god it has a cottar pin.
No it's not outside the car. It's coming from the steering wheel itself, mine does it even when the car is stopped.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Got a call today from the dealer. They tested 4 other cars, 3 cars exhibit some sort of clicking or grinding noise, and 1 car doesn't. The regional tech guy advised them not to bother changing the spiral cable, and I tend to agree. They are going to try adding padding anywhere and everywhere to mask the noise, and if they are successful, I'll be happy with that. I'll update when I know more.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

The dealer (Beshoff Infiniti, btw) is trying to apply the instructions that normally come with repair kit designed for Nissan Rogue to add padding. The problem is they don't have the actual kit, and the padding they do have is too thick. They are still working on a fix, and it's a lot of trial and error iterations, after every little change they do they have to go drive the car around and listen. Richey Barnes is the service adviser, and he's been very helpful and upfront about it, they're trying to help me out, basically.

I'm growing less optimistic...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Stiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same noise... Its very odd. I am interested to see if they figure out how to get rid of it for you. When they do hopefully I can get mine fixed too..

Thanks for the updates!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Just got another call from the dealer. They are fairly convinced that the noise is coming from the spiral cable, but that the field manager they spoke to declined to authorize replacement of the spiral cable. Richey also said that this issue is not closed, and despite them finding this issue on 3 other cars they tested, it's not the final decision to not fix this apparent "characteristic" of the car.

They've added padding where they could, but they really can't proceed any further. I'll pick up the car today and see what it sounds like, and let you guys know. If the noise persists and is audible enough and often enough, I'll take the car back again and press to have the spiral cable replaced.

Richey also said that the installation of the paddle shifters did not in any way shape or form affect the noise - they aren't changing the way things work, or anything else - and that he made that quite clear while speaking with the field manager in LA.

I'll let you guys know what I hear.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Picked up the car today. Before I say anything else, I must say first that Beshoff Infiniti, mechanic John, and service adviser Richey Barnes went above and beyond their call of duty to help me resolve this.

There are no more noises that I can hear coming from the steering wheel at the moment. I may have heard something once, making a U-turn, but it hasn't repeated itself. They didn't change any cables, just added padding wherever they could.

The two main problem areas:

1. steering wheel turn censor (big black plastic cylindrical thing behind the steering wheel) - it can start clicking as if there is a washer loose in the steering wheel, and it bounces around. It's pretty loud, and can be heard at small speeds when turning the wheel 180 degrees left or right, then back straight.

The dealer resolved that one pretty quickly by adding foam padding to it, which is a pretty standard procedure.

2. the spiral cable that connects to the steering wheel, and carries an airbag connection - it's a 10-or-so-wire bunch of cables - it can start rubbing on something inside the steering wheel, and make a grinding noise. The grinding noise is somewhat like someone dragging a bunch of tied together cables over a piece of plastic that's perpendicular to the direction of where the cable is dragged. It's not nearly as loud, and hence not as annoying. On my car it happened when you turn the wheel from straight position to the right 90 degrees and back straight.

The dealer attempted to resolve it by adding more padding to it and around it. The proper fix would be to replace the spiral cable completely.

I'll update this thread once I've had a few days to drive the car - or until I hear any noises again.

/edit attaching the pretty detailed write-up from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel-scan.jpg  

Last edited by codeflux; 05-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:17 AM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a similar problem to what you guys are having. Mine would make like a plastic on plastic noise when you would turn the wheel. Turned out the steering wheel column was a little off. I removed the steering wheel to plastic dip the trim that has the chipping problem. The column is a 2 piece set held on by 3 screws. One is at the bottom while the other two are covered by a cover. With the steering wheel centered, turn it 90 degrees left or right. each one will be on the sides of the column. I had to loosen them a little, then move the trim a bit, then retightened again. My theory was that the top part of the column was pressed on to the spiral cable when i was putting it all back together thus making a noise. Noise was gone after aligning correctly. Reading that write up you posted says you had the paddle shifters installed. So maybe they didn't install the column correctly. Shame on them And i hope this info helps anybody!

Last edited by muyrec; 05-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Freshness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sound normal if it's not I'm every car right?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 AM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's definitely not normal. Hell even putting your hand on the top of the column as you're driving will probably move it down. There's very little space between the spiral cable and the column. A little off and the noise comes back.

Last edited by muyrec; 05-10-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Well, a few days later, and I still haven't heard a single squeak, so whatever they did, they must have it licked. hehe.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
daren_ipl
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2012 IPL with 9000km and I'm hearing this noise now, For the price of a IPL it's very annoying. Does anyone know what causes this? Or like the above post it may be a padding issue?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
tonke73

Originally Posted by muyrec
I had a similar problem to what you guys are having. Mine would make like a plastic on plastic noise when you would turn the wheel. Turned out the steering wheel column was a little off. I removed the steering wheel to plastic dip the trim that has the chipping problem. The column is a 2 piece set held on by 3 screws. One is at the bottom while the other two are covered by a cover. With the steering wheel centered, turn it 90 degrees left or right. each one will be on the sides of the column. I had to loosen them a little, then move the trim a bit, then retightened again. My theory was that the top part of the column was pressed on to the spiral cable when i was putting it all back together thus making a noise. Noise was gone after aligning correctly. Reading that write up you posted says you had the paddle shifters installed. So maybe they didn't install the column correctly. Shame on them And i hope this info helps anybody!
I had my steering wheel replaced due to the plastic rubbing off by the controls. The dealer is replacing the steering wheel since they couldn't find out the problem but they do suspect it is the spiral cable. My dealer never hesitates to replace anything.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Got annoyed again recently by the noise. I decided to do some investigating myself since the noise has been getting worse lately...

Got under the car with one of these:

And started poking around. Checked all the bushings, joints, etc - all good. Noise is certainly coming from inside the steering rack assembly. Got the G in to the dealer today for an appointment and they were convinced at first that it was the clock spring - but I told them it was the rack and that they should lift the car and listen to what I was hearing with my tool. Just heard back from them - they also confirmed the rack is bad and they will be replacing it with a new unit under warranty.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
All fixed - took a photo of the work order, see below.

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel-workorder.jpg
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
cardevices

Still without the noise?

Hello Bythabay, I'd like to know if your fix to your G37 by changing the rack & pinion is still ok. I've been waiting all this time for the final solution to the anoying clicking noise of the steering wheel. I have the same problem and I have been following this post.

As I imported my G37 6mt overseases to Chile, I'd like to know if it is ok for me to invest on a new rack & pinion. It would be worth only if Nissan fixed the problem on the new ones, otherwise it will last a couple of months.

Did the noise come back after you replaced the part?

thankyou in advance!!

Originally Posted by bythabay
All fixed - took a photo of the work order, see below.

Attachment 94098

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel