Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JENG37S
Well they lust called me to say the noise is NORMAL?
I don't think so....going to try another dealer.
I've never driven a car (except for the G) that makes this noise including a bunch of rental cars. I hope that you can find a dealer that figures out how to fix it. And please let us know how they fixed it!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Kevinsalterego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on this issue? I found this forum thanks to a google search for "g37 steering wheel click". I got my 2011 G37S Coupe about a month ago and this issue popped up about a week or two after. It's easier to notice at slow speeds, but the click can be felt at any speed when it's really going.

Brought it to the dealership and they replaced a Spiral Cable, but the issue is still present and I'm sure they think I'm crazy. This is NOT cool for a $40k+ car! I had an '05 G35 coupe with the sports package before this and never had a similar issue. Nor have I experienced this in ANY car.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
enyceexdanny

I recently purchased a 2011 G37 IPL and I'm encountering the same issue. Upon researching it I found this thread. I brought the car in about a week and half ago, and the service tech informed me that it's normal. I had insisted that it's not, so they made me another appointment for later date since they needed the car for a couple of days to investigate. I brought the car in this past Monday and it's still there. I just received a call from the dealership and the service manager told me that upon further inspection, it's still something that's normal. I told him that my previous G, which was a 2008 G37S didn't have such issue and he told me that a part of the steering assembly has changed. I forget the exact term but it was something in the lines of U-joint?

He says that the other IPL they have in stock does the same thing. And that the clock-spring/spiral cable issue is for when you hear a rubbing sound when you turn the wheel more than the 1-2 degrees required to replicate the issue that I'm seeing.

He told me that he will be calling the engineering department @ Infiniti to further look into this issue.

In the meantime he's placed an order for a Bluetooth/Nav update to fix the issue where the other end would barely hear me when a call was made via Bluetooth. And this update also fixes the lag for voice recognition.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Okita240

I hope you get a resolution, as I still have the same issue. It's unbelievable that Nissan would change something that wasn't broken in the earlier model V36.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 AM
enyceexdanny

They're still claiming it's totally normal. So until enough people start complaining, and/or Infiniti engineering encounters the same issue - it's a waiting game.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
VtecVQ

It's not normal!! I have the same problem on my 2011 G37s sedan, and the dealer even said it's not normal. The clicking will evolve into a "loose sensation" when going over bumps or irregular road surfaces. My car only had 1,000 miles and it started to get this "loose steering feel" along with the clicking.
My dealer ordered a new rack and installed it, but now a month later, it is slowly coming back. I'm so frustrated because I had a 2007 G35s sedan with NO problems!!
Has anyone been able to get a fix for this??
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 PM
VtecVQ

Do you guys feel the steering wheel being loose? It's not just the clicking noise but the "loose sensation" too.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
My steering feels normal, but the clicking noise is there. I just don't pay attention to it. I figure if the rest of you guys complain enough, they'll release a TSB and set things right. Really it's just a matter of having someone tear apart the dash and listen with a stethescope to see where the noise is coming from. An alternative would be to get under the car while it's up on an algnment rack and locate the noise from below.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Subscribed. I'm the same issue. Thought it was just me.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 PM
cardevices

Hello, I have a G37 6Mt 2011 and it started the same issue yesterday. The clicking noise of the stearing wheel. My car has 1600 Miles and I'm sure it is not normal.
Particulary I can add something it is not said. The noise is not present or minimal when the engine is cold. But it increases after it warms up. This fact rules out something loose, because it would be loose cold and hot. I think of a problem on the steering colum or the steering box.

Has anybody repleace this parts?

Andres
Infiniti G37 2011 6MT
Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
noise really started bugging me today. I was driving around a mall area with speed humps, and the click noise was the most noticeable when I was going over those humps and making a turn at the same time. I was crawling over the hump and stopping occasionally due to traffic and I could really duplicate the problem well but wiggling the steering wheel from side to side a bit.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
metrix

I think my car has this problem too...2012 g37xs sedan. Haven't gone to the dealer yet though. Definitely annoying!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Okita240

This clicking noise got me so turned off about the car that I can't get myself to mod it...
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2011 G37 Sedan 7AT. Had paddle shifters installed last week, and the clicking started a day later. Brought the car back in today, thinking they left a piece of plastic inside the steering wheel or something.

The added piece of foam padding on the steering wheel turn sensor (black round thing behind the airbag), and that took care of the clicking, but then there is a slightly different noise now. They think it's the spiral cable, and they're calling corporate on Monday to see if they'll authorize replacement.

/me subscribed
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
g35sedan5at

if the noise is outside the car, check the ball joint and bolts that connect the upper control arm to the frame, all 3 were loose on my G, the lower ball joint got 4 turns on it, thank god it has a cottar pin.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel