MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Purchase decision (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/217850-purchase-decision.html)

skierrob 02-16-2011 06:08 PM

Purchase decision

Been thinking of getting a new car. I'm down to three choices -- the G37, Mercedes C300 or BMW 328i.

I was surprised at how much I like the Infinity. So I'm wondering why you all chose the Infinity over other cars in this price range? ;)

Any info to make this an easier decision would be nice. I always thought I'd love a BMW best but the G37 has thrown me for a loop.

AroundTheG37 02-16-2011 06:16 PM

Most bang for the buck. Pretty simple.

godzilla619 02-16-2011 06:21 PM

Every asshat drives a bmw in socal, mercedes don't have manuals, plus my previous car was a z.

TheIvoryG 02-16-2011 06:21 PM

I personally have never liked the look and feel of the interior of BMWs. The first moment I sat in a G many years ago, it just fit me better.

G37 > 328 in terms of performance all the way around
If you step up to the 335 the scales tip a bit, both in performance and price.
C300 is a nice car...I looked at it...but ultimately it just wasn't sporty enough. Its still an old rich persons car. Maybe that is just mental for me, but it still holds water.

I personally don't think that Infiniti does anything exceptional, but overall does more things better than its competitors. I would be surprised to ever see the G37 leading in performance, or luxury, or price. But they are always in the conversation no matter the topic.

BuzzLY37 02-16-2011 06:24 PM

i had to make the same choice between the 3 when I was purchasing also. To me, the BMW interior cannot get any uglier. Mercedes is nice but it's just way too overpriced for what they give you. In the end, our car is $10,000 less approximately if you compare new vehicles from the other two competitors with similar features.

Plus, a G is so sexy to look at.

skierrob 02-16-2011 06:28 PM

Thanks. Btw I'm thinking of getting the G37 Journey sedan with the premium package and nav.

blnewt 02-16-2011 07:37 PM

There really isn't anything compareable for the price (especially since the G8 is no longer produced). The C350 would be a decent option if the price was close but for that extra half litre they sure charge a premium, pretty much the same w/ Lexus IS250 to the IS350. A CPO 335i could be an option, but the 328 isn't up to the Gs performance at all.
BTW have you test driven all 3 models yet? If not, test the 328 and C300 first then run the G, you won't want those other two once you've gone to Infiniti & beyond :) BTW, if you do decide on a G get a clearbra or some other paint protection, Infiniti has just about the worst paint in the bizz :(

financeman 02-16-2011 07:57 PM

I looked at the same cars....did not care for the looks of the C300...and its fairly slow, though it drove "comfortably". I was comparing non-sport models....I live in an area where hills and curves are minimal; the trade off of a harsh ride in exchange for extreme handling capacity is not worth the money to me. In some respects I liked the looks of the BMW a little better, but the handling, power, and ride were inferior to the G in the base models. The price point, content, and value of the G was far better. The lease rates were also outstanding. About the only negative surprise on the G has been the pricey maintenance...and you need to factor that into your decision. The inconvenience and expense of $122 oil changes every 3,750 miles is crazy.

blnewt 02-16-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by financeman (Post 3063896)
About the only negative surprise on the G has been the pricey maintenance...and you need to factor that into your decision. The inconvenience and expense of $122 oil changes every 3,750 miles is crazy.

I stock up on Syn oil & oil filters when they're on sale and just do the simple DIY for about $30 per change, no major expenses compared to any other brand really unless you must go to the dealer.

6mtg37s 02-16-2011 09:21 PM

328 is faster.. its a bmw, its made in german it has to be better.

HappyG 02-16-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s (Post 3063941)
328 is faster.. its a bmw, its made in german it has to be better.

You meant faster backward direction? :bowrofl:

6mtg37s 02-16-2011 09:29 PM

^but but its a bmw! Its the ultimate understeer machine.

gee wiz 02-16-2011 10:28 PM

Don't even consider it any further, it's a no-brainer based on your choices...just buy the G. Once you do you won't look back...well, maybe you will and laugh at how you misspelled Infiniti. (Just yanking your chain a little, it happens here all the time). Be sure you post pics when you get her!

onthelimit 02-16-2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by financeman (Post 3063896)
I looked at the same cars....did not care for the looks of the C300...and its fairly slow, though it drove "comfortably". I was comparing non-sport models....I live in an area where hills and curves are minimal; the trade off of a harsh ride in exchange for extreme handling capacity is not worth the money to me. In some respects I liked the looks of the BMW a little better, but the handling, power, and ride were inferior to the G in the base models. The price point, content, and value of the G was far better. The lease rates were also outstanding. About the only negative surprise on the G has been the pricey maintenance...and you need to factor that into your decision. The inconvenience and expense of $122 oil changes every 3,750 miles is crazy.

Are oil changes THAT expensive???:icon09:

financeman 02-16-2011 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by onthelimit (Post 3063996)
Are oil changes THAT expensive???:icon09:

If you use the recommended ester oil and have the dealer do the changes......the dealer charges $16 a quart for the stuff. You can buy it on line and change it yourself for less. Failure to use the ester oil can cause valve train clatter. That said, I have heard some changes were made to the 2011 models that might allow for the use of less expensive alternative. I would certainly verify before signing on the dotted line.