G37 Sedan

2011 G37x Mystery Chime

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My phone does sometimes send email/SMS tones to the car speakers (not sure which exactly).
Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 AM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Here's a question. On my 2009 G37xS, if I open the driver's door while the engine is running, the car starts beeping even if turn off the engine. It only happens if the car door is open while the vehicle is in park and the engine is running. If I turn off the engine and then open the door there is no beep. What is the beep for?
If you open the door then shutdown the car it will beep at you because it hasn't locked the steering wheel. Once you close the door the wheel will lock and the beeping stops. I don't know why the locking mechanism will only operate with the doors closed; safety feature?

The G will also beep if you leave your headlights "On" and shutdown the car and open the door, but when you open the door again it will continue to beep.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:02 PM
burningembers

Originally Posted by ebirrane
for those who keep with XM, if you save favorite artists and songs and ask that you be alerted to when their songs come on, how does that alert happen?
Woah, what? I've never heard of this...going to have to try this out. Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
ebirrane

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
If you have saved destination, and you happen to drive near it, your car could beep if you have set it up that way.
That sounds promising, but I wasn't able to find a setting to see if this is enabled, or to disable it. Any hints on where this would be?

-Ed
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
lzzhang10

That sounds promising, but I wasn't able to find a setting to see if this is enabled, or to disable it. Any hints on where this would be?

-Ed
go into each individual saved locations and there is an option to set up various chimes to sound if u get near them. Anything from a beep to dog's bark.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
ImpulseIII

Are you sure it is not the GPS telling you that it is time to turn. Mine chimes each time I am instructed to execute a turn to a destination..
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 AM
1BadAssG

This thread is like a scooby doo episode. Find the mystery lol
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM
ebirrane

Originally Posted by lzzhang10
go into each individual saved locations and there is an option to set up various chimes to sound if u get near them. Anything from a beep to dog's bark.
Solved?

I had 4 destinations + home saved in my address book. One of the destinations (work) had a chime set for when I got near it. I changed the chime to a dog bark and, sure enough, heard it go off when I was pulling into work this morning.

None of the other destinations had chimes associated with them, and I'd heard the mystery chime when I wasn't near work. BUT, since I scrolled through the destinations and verified all the others had their chime notifications off, I haven't heard the sound anymore.

What a long way of saying I think this is resolved now. Thanks to everybody for the help!

-Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
ebirrane

Originally Posted by bashirdur
This thread is like a scooby doo episode. Find the mystery lol
...and the NAV system says:

"And we would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

-Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by burningembers
I vaguely remember my ICY warning chiming. And if you don't clear it (top right button), it will periodically chime again.

I wouldn't expect it, but is the battery in your key fob dying?
False, there are no ICY warning beeps
False, there are no low battery beeps

I have a blackberry paired to the car and wondered if it chimes when I get an e-mail? Could it be a chime when the GPA is enabled? Is there a place to customize your chimes/ringtones?
False, the car does not make any sounds if your blackberry gets an email.

there is a glitch with Windows Mobile phones, which the sound would play, but the sound is whatever sound your phone makes.

Originally Posted by da mayor
if you drive in manual mode and you try to shift up to the next gear and you're too low of a RPM that will have an audible sound
True, this could be it

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
If you have saved destination, and you happen to drive near it, your car could beep if you have set it up that way.
False, the car does not beep if you drive near a saved destination

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
But I'm not walking away from the car. I'm still sitting in the driver's seat. The only thing I've done is open the door while the engine is running and the car is in park. If I shut off the engine with door still open the beeping doesn't stop. It'll keep going until I shut the door.

I know people with new Infiniti Ms who have the same thing happen to them so it seems to be some sort of Infiniti thing.
The car makes a single beep if you open the door while the car is running.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
Don't know about other models, but my 2010 G37x with Navigation does.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
ebirrane

Originally Posted by carz
False, there are no ICY warning beeps
False, there are no low battery beeps

False, the car does not make any sounds if your blackberry gets an email.

there is a glitch with Windows Mobile phones, which the sound would play, but the sound is whatever sound your phone makes.

True, this could be it

The car makes a single beep if you open the door while the car is running.
Carz,

I have the 2011 G37x. It sounds like they've changed things from your model. Most of the above is referenced in the various manuals for the car.

It does have some type of audible warning for ICY, though I've never heard it there is a setting to disable it. I believe I remember from the manual that it will also chime and show something on the dash if your battery is low, but don't quote me on it.

Agreed that the car doesn't beep is you get an e-mail. I kinda wish it *did* do that.

The shifting beeps are not two-toned chimes, and only happen in manual mode, not DS or D.

The nav system, even with no route selected *does* play a chime and that was pretty much my mystery chime. It only does it if you tell it to. Why anyone would want this as a feature is beyond me.... "chime every time I drive by a destination even though I am not going to that destination" ... who wants that?

-Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The nav system, even with no route selected *does* play a chime and that was pretty much my mystery chime. It only does it if you tell it to. Why anyone would want this as a feature is beyond me.... "chime every time I drive by a destination even though I am not going to that destination" ... who wants that?

-Ed
I actually like this feature. When I happen to be near my favorite restaurant, it beeps to remind me. Very handy.