Sponsored by:

Throttle sensitivity (non-uniform)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Texasdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle sensitivity (non-uniform)

2010 G37 Sedan.

The problem I am having is that the accelerator pedal is extremely sensitive. Approximately 75% of the acceleration is within the first 30% of the pedal travel. The car doesn't accelerate faster if I "floor" it instead of just pushing the pedal down an inch.

I have learned to live with it, but whenever my wife (and occasionally my teenage daughter) drive it, they aren't used to it. They seem to always be driving angry... Gunning it and slamming on the brakes. Yes, the brakes are very sensitive too. I'm afraid she's going to wreck the car.

What I would like is for the throttle to be uniform. 50% pedal gets 50% acceleration.

Infinity Dealer says there is no way to adjust this. Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
llee916

You can put a firm sponge in between the gas pedal and the floor behind it making it a little harder to push the gas- although this may become a safety issue in situations where hard and quick acceleration is needed to avoid an accident.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
zmzmzm

Originally Posted by Texasdoc
2010 G37 Sedan.

The problem I am having is that the accelerator pedal is extremely sensitive. Approximately 75% of the acceleration is within the first 30% of the pedal travel. The car doesn't accelerate faster if I "floor" it instead of just pushing the pedal down an inch.

I have learned to live with it, but whenever my wife (and occasionally my teenage daughter) drive it, they aren't used to it. They seem to always be driving angry... Gunning it and slamming on the brakes. Yes, the brakes are very sensitive too. I'm afraid she's going to wreck the car.

What I would like is for the throttle to be uniform. 50% pedal gets 50% acceleration.

I would guess that the problem is that the other vehicle they drive requires the accelerator to be depressed a long way to get moderate acceleration. I drive a few different cars and have just gotten used to pressing the accelerator to the point where the result is what I want rather than a specific percentage of the travel.

I don't think this is an automotive problem but rather the need to get experienced with a new car. Once they get used to the way the G drives this will just disappear...
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Gunning it and slamming on the brakes.
Thats how most women drive here in SoCal!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
TomsG37

My G37x sedan accelerates very smoothly unless you floor it. My wife has no problem driving it, and our roads are very icy right now. Have your infiniti service dept look at it again or try another Infiniti dealer, because that rapid acceleration is not normal. Maybe the throttle position sensor needs adjustment, or maybe VDC is not coming on?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have never driven a car that has the linear sort of pedal to acceleration ratio you speak of. Tell the ladies to ease up on the pedal I guess?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
One of the cons of drive-by-wire throttle bodies, if only a mechanical drive swap was easy..
Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes i have the same thing. 30% down and you are catapulting ahead like the gas pedal is floored.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The throttle IS adaptive...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 PM
smashhell

Am I the only one that see this as a positive feature ?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Texasdoc

Originally Posted by llee916
You can put a firm sponge in between the gas pedal...
Really, A sponge??? Really???

Originally Posted by MyocyteX
I have never driven a car that has the linear sort of pedal to acceleration ratio you speak of.
My Mercedes C32 was exact. THAT was an amazing car. It just got too old. Driving a Supercharged Mercedes engine without a warranty scared my pocketbook.

Originally Posted by zmzmzm
Once they get used to the way the G drives this will just disappear...
I don't really want them to get used to driving it. Wife is used to driving a Suburban, daughter is 18 and used to a Kia. I don't like either of them driving a 300+hp machine. Sometimes they gotta.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texasdoc
2010 G37 Sedan.

It is annoying, especially if you are used to European cars that have either a totally linear throttle or much closer to linear. Japanese are the opposite and seem to think people are tricked by the jumpy throttle response (wow, this car is peppy!!) and too stupid to notice that there is little extra there in the second half of the throttle.

Not sure if your car has "snow mode," but it basically reverts the throttle to linear. It is described as desensitizing the throttle, but it is really just close to "normal" by European standards.

I drove around with that on last winter when I first got the car (no or very little snow on the ground--I just didn't like the jumpy throttle). After a while, the adaptive transmission will get the idea that you prefer a normal throttle. When you switch back to regular mode, it will still be jumpy, but not so bad. Now I just have to be a bit sensitive with the right foot instead of driving like I am walking on egg shells.

Despite what others may say, if you floor it in snow mode, you will get exactly the same full acceleration that you do in non-snow mode. It just flattens the throttle curve instead of hyping it towards the tip-in.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The hare-trigger throttle was a moldy old Detroit trick (per Car & Driver) when emission standards were changed decades ago. I noticed it too and I don't like it. Thanks for the tip on the snow mode.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texasdoc - I hear what you are saying. I've been trying to get used to this cars setup. It feels like a hairline change in the throttle will cause a downshift and off the car goes. To smoothly cruise around town is challenging, but is can be done. You have to control your urge to mash the throttle.

Is there any adverse effect to use the snow mode on dry conditions?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you tried reset your ECU? That might make your car to start fresh, and learn your driving style.

Quick Reply: Throttle sensitivity (non-uniform)