G37 Sedan

Rear door wind noise

Old 11-26-2010, 10:59 PM
brianashley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear door wind noise

Hey all, brand new to the forum. Purchased a 2010 Platinum G 37 S sedan last week. Even when I test drove the car I noticed an unusual amount of wind noise from the rear doors. It seemed most annoying when driving into a head wind. I understand there will be a buffering noise, but this sound intensifies at 40 mph and gets louder at higher speeds. I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue? Taking back to dealer next week for paint treatment...maybe a tech can help me with the sound. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:00 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you tried rolling all the windows fully down and up.
It is possible that one of them isn't completely closed.
When I was driving my 2010 sedan home, the first day, from the dealer, there was some wind noise coming from the driver's side rear. When I got home and was checking out the new car features, I fully opened and closed the windows. I haven't had any wind noise since then.

Most of my driving is at approximately 80 mph on road trips. That was 8 months and 7,200 miles ago.

I also have no rattles, but have read complaints of wind noise and rattles from other owners.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a hissing noise coming from the rear passenger fixed window at speeds of 55+. it is louder now that we have freezing temperatures here. ill have the dealer look at during my next oil change.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:02 PM
4drScreamer

No problems whatsoever with mine. 3 months old and 6200 miles so far.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 PM
brianashley

I tried rolling the windows all the way down and back up.....no success. Also went around the door with a small flat head screwdriver to make sure the seal was in the track correctly. Could the windows just need a minor adjustment? Maybe not closing all the way?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa! Wind noise and rattles on a brand new G37 S should not be happening. I am at 8300 miles and there is absolutely no wind noise on mine. I had what I thought was an internal rattle in the door but it turned out to be 2 pair of shades I had in my glove box. Hopefully you can re-create these issues for the service man and they can be taken care of.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM
azndrgnkid

I've noticed the same problem for my car too. Mine was purchased in March and currently 16k on the odometer. I hear wind noise from the rear passenger side when I drive.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
woodG37

Seems like I wasn't the only one. I have the same hissing wind noise problem starting at around 60 from the rear passenger side.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Dealer was supposed to order a new rear seal last month...but they apparently never got around to it. Easy fix...I just purchased some silicone window sealant for car glass, pryed the rubber back from the glass on the outside of the window, inserted the applicator, and ran a bead around the top and back of the glass where it touches the rubber (underneath the rubber seal. You don't want to apply to much or you could end up with a bit of a mess. I also ran another bead the rubber and the window frame around the outside perimeter of the seal...where it contacts the metal door frame...again underneath the rubber seal- so the bead is not visible). Problem solved....and for the most part an easy job except had a little sealant dripple onto the glass...just let it dry and then use a razor blade to remove. My seal was hissing, especially when windy....not anymore.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (01-17-2020)
Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
cvroom

Thanks for the info financeman. did you seal only the rear passenger fixed window? sounds like a good idea compared to screwing around with it back and forth from the dealership.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
brianashley

Awesome idea Financeman....Is there any way you can post a pic so I can make sure I get the bead in the right spot?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear door wind noise-rear-quarter-window-inside-seal.jpg

Rear door wind noise-rear-quarter-window-outside-seal.jpgNothing very complicated about my approach....I just pulled the rubber seal away from the glass with my fingers, stuck the applicator nossel in the opening I created and applied sealant the length of the rubber seal (between the fixed glass and rubber seal first, and then between the rubber seal and the door frame). I'm not sure the pictures help much...just shows the location of the rubber seal and how you might go about creating the necessary opening for the applicator nossel. Just wipe of any excess immediately....
The following 2 users liked this post by financeman:
llebcire (01-17-2020), SonicVQ (03-22-2016)
Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
cvroom

great thanks for the pics.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM
cvroom

i tested my car out after using the sealant on the weathering and its 80% fixed. i still do hear a very low droning wind sound back there at 60+ but its not really noticable unless you were looking for it or if you were sitting back there with your ear right up close. i noticed a point on the corner of the fixed window towards the top i missed so i put a dab of sealant on that point and i hope ill be done with it then.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
woodG37

cvroom - thanks for the update. Sounds like a good news. Where did you get the sealant from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear door wind noise