Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2010 G37- Cold Engine Start up Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobdaduke
Mine does the same thing, also has a ticking noise when sitting idle....
After the car quiets down from the cold start, there's still some noise. Kinda sounds like ticking. Even after the car is completely warm.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't hear the crappy cold engine sound when I am in the car. I had read about it. I have had many cars and this is the first one that my wife said sounded bad when it started up. She was still outside the car when I started it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
jg10G37-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Glore
Just got my G37 yesterday. The vehicle still had all of shipping wrap on it and when I started it before negotiations it did the same thing. This morning in Houston it was 61 when i started up and it did the same thing. Within a minute all was quiet.
Sup neighbor, love that Houston cool weather!

Mine does this too and I purchased it new in June of this year.

JG
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually thought i had a small exhaust leak because of the noise. How it would start up on cold and then go away when it starts to warm up, almost exactly like a small exhaust leak. My '03 never made a noise like this. Hmm, wonder what it really is. Maybe the smog air pump is just noisy?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
g25dragon

When you start your G37 first thing in the morning, what rpm does it idle at? Brand new G25, three days in a row in the morning at around 65-70 degrees engine starts at 2500 rpm and then slowly goes down to 1500 after about 30 seconds.

That seems like a pretty fast idle to me, anyone else experience that? After the initial start, even after several hours, when I start again max rpm is around 1500 and it settles down to around 700 within just a few seconds.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Jim Glore

Originally Posted by jg10G37-S
Sup neighbor, love that Houston cool weather!

Mine does this too and I purchased it new in June of this year.

JG
About time it arrived! Can't wait for the heat
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
After the car quiets down from the cold start, there's still some noise. Kinda sounds like ticking. Even after the car is completely warm.

Ah ticking sound.. time to use Ester oil. Try it and see if sound goes away.. There were some posts about Ester oil help getting rid of ticking sound. Be warned.. oil is not cheap.. like $11~15 a Quart..
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by test007
Ah ticking sound.. time to use Ester oil. Try it and see if sound goes away.. There were some posts about Ester oil help getting rid of ticking sound. Be warned.. oil is not cheap.. like $11~15 a Quart..
Is that the valve noise people have been talking about? This noise has been there from the very beginning. Doesn't the factory use put ester oil in the cars?
For my complimentary 1st oil change at infiniti, they put Mobil. The sound didn't get better or worse.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by g25dragon
When you start your G37 first thing in the morning, what rpm does it idle at? Brand new G25, three days in a row in the morning at around 65-70 degrees engine starts at 2500 rpm and then slowly goes down to 1500 after about 30 seconds.

That seems like a pretty fast idle to me, anyone else experience that? After the initial start, even after several hours, when I start again max rpm is around 1500 and it settles down to around 700 within just a few seconds.
Welcome, you are the first G25 owner I've noticed, so you may not get many replies.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
Is that the valve noise people have been talking about? This noise has been there from the very beginning. Doesn't the factory use put ester oil in the cars?
For my complimentary 1st oil change at infiniti, they put Mobil. The sound didn't get better or worse.
I put in Ester oil at my initial free oil change and engine sounds the same at startup after sitting at least overnight. Noise doesn't bother me for the minute it lasts as long as I know no damage is being done which it isn't. What bothered me is that if the manual recommends Ester oil why was I charged for it on my free oil change??????
Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by allagaroo
I put in Ester oil at my initial free oil change and engine sounds the same at startup after sitting at least overnight. Noise doesn't bother me for the minute it lasts as long as I know no damage is being done which it isn't. What bothered me is that if the manual recommends Ester oil why was I charged for it on my free oil change??????
Haha, my first oil change was free also.. but they wanted to put in conventional oil. I said h*ll no.. I will pay the difference and put in Ester oil. I am now thinking about changing to synthetic oil for price and performance reason.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Saltin
Registered Member

Re: Ticking noise, could that not be something like the purge valve? I've owned cars in the past that had quite a pronounced ticking noise from the PV during cold start. I havent heard this in my G, but they can defnitely tick, and I'm assuming the G has one.

Seconding the rough start sounding like an exhaust leak, thats what I thought too. At least now I know it's a "feature" and not a "bug"!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I actually got out of the car this morning to listen for the first time. Is indeed loud for the first 30 seconds then quiets down. Don't understand why it happens...but apparently normal. Mine is a 36 month lease and its under warranty.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 AM
maxfinity

Yeah I noticed that when i first started the car for the test drive. I asked to test drive another just to see if it also sounded so raspy on a cold start and got the same sound. My little brother says my car sounds like an "Old Bucket" when it starts up in the morning. I just laugh and asked him how does his car sound in the mornings.... He doesnt have a car ;-)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by test007
Haha, my first oil change was free also.. but they wanted to put in conventional oil. I said h*ll no.. I will pay the difference and put in Ester oil. I am now thinking about changing to synthetic oil for price and performance reason.
In addition, service mgr. said once I use Ester oil I should continue to use???

Quick Reply: 2010 G37- Cold Engine Start up Noise