Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!
View Poll Results: What is your driving style and experience with the 7-speed in your G37?
Conservative Driving Style - Have noticed no significant shifting issues
17.33%
Conservative Driving Style - Minor shifting issues occasionally
26.67%
Conservative Driving Style - Frequent/Significant Issues (it's driving me nuts)
2.67%
Performance Driving Style - Have noticed no significant shifting issues
17.33%
Performance Driving Style - Minor shifting issues occasionally
30.67%
Performance Driving Style - Frequent/Signficant Issues (it's driving me nuts)
5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

G37 7AT Issues - Poll and Consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Responding to sniper27's post earlier. He /she made a reference to the 07 G35 with a 5 spd Auto tranny....Just step on it and it Goes.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
NiTeHawKPwNeD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i regret getting a 7AT.. I wish I got a 6MT instead.. I hate the stupid shift lags, and 3 second delay downshift..

next car would be a nissan 350z 6mt!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Ike427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have 09 37x with paddle shifters and have had only a few harsh downshifts all while in manual mode. My driving is mostly normal with frequent acceleration runs and the transmission has shown no problems.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by rehtea
I gotta say, I don't have any of the problems with 7AT that others have mentioned here. Maybe people with problems are more likely to post about it, so it could seem the problem is wide spread or common when in fact it isn't, or maybe I'm just one of the few who got lucky. Based on my experience, 7AT shifts fine, and at the right time. Shifting is smooth, and hard to feel, unless on aggressive acceleration. Driving in stop-and-go or rush hour traffic is not a problem at all; in fact, response is so sharp, because it's in 1st or 2nd gear. It almost feels as if I could press the gas pedal with just my toe to accelerate. There's no bogging or hesitation.

One thing that I personally found helpful in teaching the 7AT to shift better is to keep continuous pressure on the gas pedal through the shifts. Because of my habit from manual, I had a tendency to lift on the gas pedal when I felt a shift coming. It took me awhile to realize I was doing this, but the shift improved markedly when I continued to keep pressure on the gas pedal. It helps even more if you press down more on the gas pedal through the shifts. So the bottom line, just give lotsa gas, and let the 7AT figure out the shift logic for you. guess that's why it's called AUTOMATIC. lol
I agree with first paragraph 100%.

As for the fuzzy logic of the tranny--it reacts poorly to jerky driving. Stomping the throttle or the brakes causes the computer to overreact and because it has been programmed as a "sport" model car, the computer retains memory of the jerky behaviour for much longer than a typical modern transmission. In other words, you are driving aggressively for a couple of minutes. Then, for the next few minutes while you are driving conservatively, you may feel that the car is making clunky shifts, overrevving, reacting too aggressively to braking with downshifting, etc. You are probably right. Another time, the opposite could be true. The car is seemingly a bit sluggish, so you punch it even harder, which exacerbates the problem.

Drive smoothly whether you want aggressive or conservative. You'll discover that you will become a better driver and the tranny will start responding exactly the way it should.

If you are slamming or stabbing a pedal (gas or brake), you aren't driving properly. Try squeezing the pedals and you'll discover that you pasengers will be impressed that your braking and driving is so smooth. Take 2 seconds to go from off the gas pedal to flooring it--you'll lose only a fraction of a second 0-60, but the tranny will start working properly. Same applies to letting off the gas. Any sudden movement of the gas pedal is like an emergency signal to the tranny. Imagine dropping a big text book from chest height to the floor right beside a cat. The G is the cat and it is deliberately programmed to be high strung.

Remember it takes a good while for the tranny to adapt to a new style, so the super-smooth race car driver style will take a while for the tranny to adapt to. Even one "slam" (of either pedal) will set it back for a while.

This all presumes you have the latest software upgrade, by the way...
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Imagine dropping a big text book from chest height to the floor right beside a cat. The G is the cat and it is deliberately programmed to be high strung.
Great analogy. I agree the transmission is smooth if your right foot is smooth.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
blitzebill

I like the way the 7AT feels, no grips here. Funny though that when you push the shifter over to DS and don't touch it, the tranny still works and feels as if in D.

But when using DS and shifting with it when 3K rpm hits through each gear, the car respond smooth and quick.

and as it has been said here, keep an even pressured push on the gas and the car loves it. especially going up hills. i've never driven a car that loves to climb hills like the G.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM
IcemanVQ37

I picked up my 2013 G37S sedan on April 14, 2013. I noticed (in D mode and DS mode) when I would drive my car to and from home from work in stop and go traffic that the shifts from 1-2, 2-3 (more noticeable in 1-2, 2-3) and at times from 3-4 will have a very noticeable shift lag. (Note these are at low speeds under 15mph around 2K rpm) It is very annoying. But in spirited driving both D and DS, its not very noticeable. I know some of you will say then just mash on the pedal more, but I do not see this happening in heavy traffic. I will bring in my G to the dealership this Friday and see what they say.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but did not want to get flamed or bombarded with "do a search and you will find your answer" type of deal.

Also my car has about 2,700 miles.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:23 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by IcemanVQ37
I picked up my 2013 G37S sedan on April 14, 2013. I noticed (in D mode and DS mode) when I would drive my car to and from home from work in stop and go traffic that the shifts from 1-2, 2-3 (more noticeable in 1-2, 2-3) and at times from 3-4 will have a very noticeable shift lag. (Note these are at low speeds under 15mph around 2K rpm) It is very annoying. But in spirited driving both D and DS, its not very noticeable. I know some of you will say then just mash on the pedal more, but I do not see this happening in heavy traffic. I will bring in my G to the dealership this Friday and see what they say.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but did not want to get flamed or bombarded with "do a search and you will find your answer" type of deal.

Also my car has about 2,700 miles.
main complaint with many of us. there were 2 software updates that helped this bit, but did not cure the issue. unfortunately, these updates applied to 2009-2011. I don't believe the dealer will perform these updates on a 2013. But give it a shot. Go complain about the symptoms, as they are well aware of them and see if there are anything they can do for a 2013.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM
IcemanVQ37

Originally Posted by sniper27
main complaint with many of us. there were 2 software updates that helped this bit, but did not cure the issue. unfortunately, these updates applied to 2009-2011. I don't believe the dealer will perform these updates on a 2013. But give it a shot. Go complain about the symptoms, as they are well aware of them and see if there are anything they can do for a 2013.
Thanks Sniper, I will definitely ask. I mean it cant hurt to ask. I will report back here when I get my results.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my car and would buy it again. The trans is strange but it's usually a good strange. My opinion is that it is very sport oriented. Drive like a maniac and don't mind bad fuel milage it shifts good. Tooling around like granny is just plain hard to do. When your trying to go slow mine is herky jerky. I also agree with all the folks that say they have adjusted to the trans as I feel it adjusted to me a bit but I adjusted to it more. Even when your going slow it wants to shift aggresively..if that makes sense and if you don't push it and keep up it gets confused and you get a lag or a flare as it tries to figure out what you want to do. It's not a perfect trans but its fun. I think they should have made regular drive tamer and saved the crazy drunken monkey mode for DS or even included an economy mode or something. Point is it's not perfect but it's solid and fun if you like to drive sporty.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
for stop & go very bad gear that's for sure other roads or whatever it perform great

also DS + manual solve everything exept on DS it tend to brake by gear more than the brake , i think this gear made for Z370 & in some point they put it in G37 for cutting new costs for newer gear , this is the case with all Car manufacturers
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm the original owner of my 09. Car still has the stock programming. Having driven manual gearboxes the majority of my life, except for the last 5. I don't expect much from any auto. And for that reason I'm not disappointed. It is what it is. No auto or twin clutch driven in it's fully auto mode will ever be in the right gear 100% of the time.

Having said that the new loaners I've driven tend to downshift sooner than my car with less gas. But to be honest I've adjusted to my car. If i need to downshift quickly I either use the paddles, 1or 2 gear down , or I just press the gas quickly about 1/4 down. Both work well and pretty quickly.

Also before a manual guy shines in with "you should of bought a manual". They have their quirks too. Perfection does not exist.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
IcemanVQ37

Thanks for the response guys. I did have a manual (2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5MT) before buying this car.

I am just annoyed that D mode shifting form 1-2, 2-3 and at time 3-4 in stop and go traffic (between 1.5K - 2.5K RPM, checked this morning when stuck in traffic) gives me headache. I just want D mode to be smooth and when I feel like sporty driving to switch over to DS/M mode.

I now noticed that when driving in M mode, that the shifts between gears are not "instant". That there is a noticeable lag. I will point this out as well to the dealer. Other then that, the rev match downshifting is fine. Just the lag between gear changes in D/DS/M mode.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
pebkac

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the same car and specs. I noticed the same issues in DS mode, and now avoid it at all cost. I came from an 06 330I Sport sedan, and didnt have these issues.

Originally Posted by IcemanVQ37
Thanks for the response guys. I did have a manual (2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5MT) before buying this car.

I am just annoyed that D mode shifting form 1-2, 2-3 and at time 3-4 in stop and go traffic (between 1.5K - 2.5K RPM, checked this morning when stuck in traffic) gives me headache. I just want D mode to be smooth and when I feel like sporty driving to switch over to DS/M mode.

I now noticed that when driving in M mode, that the shifts between gears are not "instant". That there is a noticeable lag. I will point this out as well to the dealer. Other then that, the rev match downshifting is fine. Just the lag between gear changes in D/DS/M mode.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 AM
IcemanVQ37

Maybe its that adaptive learning transmission thing that the G37 has. I say just use the DS/M mode if you want. I am going to point this out and maybe they will have something as a remedy. I just hope that if they do, that I do not regret getting it done.

I want to test out a 370Z if it has any of this "lag" issues now. Very curious! Maybe a test drive? LOL

Quick Reply: G37 7AT Issues - Poll and Consensus?