Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to car

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
galex37sport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to car

hey everyone this is my first infiniti car that i buy a g37 sedan sport automatic. i just have a question to see if its normal or if i need to take it in to get checked on. " when im driving normal speeds and i let go of the gas pedal the car starts downshifting on its own but everytime it downshifts i kind of feel like if the car jerks or jumps." just wondering if its normal first time when this kind of car. thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
PascalT

it happens from 2nd to 3rd gear for me, and according to some others here, for them too.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
galex37sport

so i gues it normal... im probably going to still take it in and c what they say. ill post it when i do
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just keep ur foot on that brake pedal on these cars otherwise ur gonna jerk urself into someones butt.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
CGAR

jerk urself into someones butt. lmao
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
g37musings

Originally Posted by CGAR
jerk urself into someones butt. lmao
Well, I wasn't going to comment, but you already have.........

Classic.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
CGAR

couldent resist
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by galex37sport
hey everyone this is my first infiniti car that i buy a g37 sedan sport automatic. i just have a question to see if its normal or if i need to take it in to get checked on. " when im driving normal speeds and i let go of the gas pedal the car starts downshifting on its own but everytime it downshifts i kind of feel like if the car jerks or jumps." just wondering if its normal first time when this kind of car. thanks
The car will downshift noticeably. It also creates a lot of engine braking. If I see a red light in the distance, I take my foot off the gas - but I'll be going 5 MPH before I get 1/2 way to the light. In those cases I pop it into Neutral so I can at least roll to the light without using more gas....

Last edited by TinsleyC; 06-09-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: removed some STRANGE characters from my post!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 PM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe it's the rev-matching feature. In my ride the 4-3-2-1 downshifts are sometimes jerky, bumpy or clunky especially below 40mph. Braking becomes a chore since it sometimes becomes impossible to stop or coast smoothly. I test drove other g37s after purchasing mine and they weren't as dramatic as mine. Unless corporate releases a TSB you'll just have to adapt to it.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
. In those cases I pop it into Neutral so I can at least roll to the light without using more gas....
I do the same. I hope it doesn't mess up the tranny
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Marc Collins

Taking your foot off the gas in a G37 means you are telling the car you want it to decelerate and downshift fairly aggressively. It isn't going to coast along like Grandpa's Oldsmobile at 1,000 rpm in top gear.

If you don't want to slow so quickly, then just ease off the gas instead of taking your foot off completely. You get used to this very quickly and it mimics how you would drive a manual transmission car. It is also how hybrids work, except they are slowing the car with the regenerative braking system instead of the engine.

The net result is that you are already in the correct gear for any situation. Want to change lanes and accelerate in the middle of your deceleration process--no problem, you will have instant response. Need to hold the throttle through a slower turn--no problem, you will already be in the correct gear. Etc. It isn't fool-proof, of course, but it is by far the most intelligent (as in it actually performs in a sporting manner as advettised) auto tranny I have driven/owned. It is definitely not intended or designed to act like a traditional American car automatic.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
galex37sport

hey people thanks alot for all this info.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 PM
ged1067

Marc, you got it right! I loooove the way the car downshifts. My Passat did similarly, but the G is way ahead and just special!!!

GED
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
ged1067

and I forgot to mention...saves a lot of wear and tear on the brakes.

GED
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
blitzebill

i just went to my dealer today to get a software upgrade (there was a TSB for this) on my tranny for downshifting issues.

works fine now.

Quick Reply: new to car