Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

why is the leather on my driver's side seat worn and cracked already???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Petition to Infiniti.

Leather cracking issues.

1. TomieG
2. sfg37s3
3. flyUSCGhi
4. chie8885.
5. hadokenuh
6. rumple_rumple
7. PascalT
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same here. 09 sport with stone leather. 3200 miles, 3 months old.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine was like before I took delivery, lol. but based on my previous ownership (the 08) yeah it the creasing happens pretty quickly.

I actually never realized that this leather doesn't absorb the product well. ARE people having success with any products?

Last edited by mw09g37; 05-14-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
mine was like before I took delivery, lol. but based on my previous ownership (the 08) yeah it the creasing happens pretty quickly.

I actually never realized that this leather doesn't absorb the product well. ARE people having success with other products?
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this in other threads, but I'll say it again in case a search finds this thread in the future:

95% of automotive leathers are coated with a thin vinyl topcoat. Ours is no exception. This coating may "breathe", but is not intended to be porous. This is why water sits on your leather rather than soaking in and darkening it.

Generally speaking, the best thing you can do is keep your leather CLEAN so that creases do not get ground dirt and grit in them and eventually become cracks. Leather cleaners are great, but leather conditioners have little benefit for this application.

IMO, Leatherique is the best cleaner out there, and manages to "draw out" stuff that other cleaners won't touch. It's a labor-intensive process, but it works.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 AM
ntworkg0d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
My 2010 with less than 2000 miles

I have about 2K miles and my seat looks almost identical to that! I have 20% tint all around, and even then it doesn't matter much since my car is garaged at home and regularly parked in a garage at work.. Seriously disappointed with the quality of the leather appointments.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
ntworkg0d

Originally Posted by TomieG
Petition to Infiniti.

Leather cracking issues.

1. TomieG
2. sfg37s3
3. flyUSCGhi
4. chie8885.
5. hadokenuh
6. rumple_rumple
7. PascalT
8. Ntworkg0d
Added myself to your list.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Got some creases on my sport seats both driver and passenger. A little over 1700 miles on the car. I'll bring it to the dealer's attention and have them put it in the system, so if I actually do get cracks in the future, they will hopefully be more inclined to make things right.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM
BillPaul

I have a brand new G37S MT sedan, and am beginning to experience creases in the thigh bolsters of my sport seats after only one month. The cause is not lack of tinting.

In order to get out of the seat, you have to put your weight on the bolster as you slide out. This creases the leather. Adjusting the bolster to minimum does not solve the problem. Most car seats have some bolstering, but for the sake of "sport", these have far more bolstering than most sedans.

So, the creasing is "normal wear & tear" in the sense that this wear is, in retrospect, an inevitable outcome of the seat design. I don't mind the seat back (torso) bolsters, but I think the thigh bolsters are unnecessary and obviously accelerate wear in the front seats.

I am trying to find a way to slide out of the seats while reducing stress on the bolsters.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Last edited by BillPaul; 05-16-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM
PursuitofG

wow this has been a common issue since the 1st gens, I would think Infiniti would have addressed this problem. I have the same crease pattern on my 07
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
melz

Originally Posted by PursuitofG
wow this has been a common issue since the 1st gens, I would think Infiniti would have addressed this problem. I have the same crease pattern on my 07
Same here. I have an 07 x and the driver's seat was delivered to me with 7 miles on the ODO with the same crease pattern. I was initially annoyed by it, but after awhile (and since it is a lease), I just figured I'll enjoyed the car as is. All the cars that I've had has always had a similar leather problem (BMW, Lexus, Audi and Subaru), however, not with 7 miles on the ODO.

I'm about to take delivery of a 10 xs and will be looking out for this problem as well as the seat bottoms "bubbling" as I've read in another thread. The seat bottom "bubbling" is far more disturbing than this issue.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by BillPaul
I have a brand new G37S MT sedan, and am beginning to experience creases in the thigh bolsters of my sport seats after only one month. The cause is not lack of tinting.

In order to get out of the seat, you have to put your weight on the bolster as you slide out. This creases the leather. Adjusting the bolster to minimum does not solve the problem. Most car seats have some bolstering, but for the sake of "sport", these have far more bolstering than most sedans.

So, the creasing is "normal wear & tear" in the sense that this wear is, in retrospect, an inevitable outcome of the seat design. I don't mind the seat back (torso) bolsters, but I think the thigh bolsters are unnecessary and obviously accelerate wear in the front seats.

I am trying to find a way to slide out of the seats while reducing stress on the bolsters.

Good analysis. Sadly, I can't think of a way to get out of the car without putting my weight on the side of the seat.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
PascalT

My dealership replied to my email about this. They told me to make an appointment with the service ppl. I'm guessing they'll change the seats.. hoping they do but won't the problem just come back anyway?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillPaul

Yup. Use the grab handle to pull yourself up to lessen the weight on the seat bolster as you get out.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Mockenrue

Are those side bolsters even leather? Usually the only leather surfaces in "leather appointed seat" packages are just the seat bottom and lower back (ie. where the holes are). The same exact bolster creasing happened on my Acura TSX. I expect it with entry level luxury. Personally, I'd rather see our value dollars go towards engine and tech features than high-end leather.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
yup, mine looks worse - stone - If I wanted crappy leather that wore poorly, I could have kept my GM product. And they very well may not be leather - on My G8, only the seating surfaces were leather - the bolsters were 'leatherique'

Quick Reply: why is the leather on my driver's side seat worn and cracked already???