MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Anyone wish G37 gained tq instead of hp? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/207597-anyone-wish-g37-gained-tq-instead-of-hp.html)

eksigned 05-03-2010 05:08 PM

this may be a stupid question, but is there a spacer that we could run between the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold? may be a runner from a different vq series motor? should give a good bump in torque, but it would most likely raise the intake manifold up a bit, to the point where a hood spacer would be needed...(yuck)

Mike 05-03-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by eksigned (Post 2902336)
this may be a stupid question, but is there a spacer that we could run between the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold? may be a runner from a different vq series motor? should give a good bump in torque, but it would most likely raise the intake manifold up a bit, to the point where a hood spacer would be needed...(yuck)

You're thinking VQ35DE.

eksigned 05-03-2010 06:40 PM

^ so it's a no go on our blocks? completely new to infinitis as you already probably know from having to respond to my other posts hahaha (thanks again!!!!)

JohnEnglish 05-03-2010 08:05 PM

To get any real effect from a throttle body spacer, it'd have to be about a metre (3 ft.) long. If it was that easy to "bump up the torque" don't you think manufacturers would put throttle body spacers on all their engines?

Spacers used to have a use back when carbs were popular becuase it gave the air/fuel mixture more time to mix before it entered into the combustion chamber; now with fuel injection and direct injection that reasoning is no longer there.

JohnEnglish 05-03-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 2900991)
Everyone is so concerned about the PEAK tq figure for some reason.

Bench racing.

ozzypriest 05-03-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman (Post 2901292)
By "spanked," we're only talking about less than half-a-second difference in the quarter mile time based on the figures I've read from various auto reviewer sites. Yes, that's a lot in terms of drag racing, but nevertheless both cars can do under 14 seconds. And that comparison doesn't seem like it would make a huge "seat-of-the pants" difference.

Jesus, half a second is a huuuge difference. That's like a bus length in the quarter mile. And a half-second is a huge seat-of-the-pants difference. Drive a 13.7 car, and then drive a 13.2 car - the acceleration difference is remarkable - I own the 13.7 car, and used to own the 13.2 car - it's night and day. Okay, I'll get off my rant. :NOOO:

JohnEnglish 05-03-2010 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by ozzypriest (Post 2902484)
Jesus, half a second is a huuuge difference. That's like a bus length in the quarter mile. And a half-second is a huge seat-of-the-pants difference. Drive a 13.7 car, and then drive a 13.2 car - the acceleration difference is remarkable - I own the 13.7 car, and used to own the 13.2 car - it's night and day. Okay, I'll get off my rant. :NOOO:

Yeah no kidding. Here's what a couple of tenths in the 1/8th looks like so you imagine what a full 1/2 second looks like.

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs. Camaro SS Drag Race - Bonus VIdeo