Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change today with Pennzoil Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:25 PM
eauty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just got my first oil change on my car and I have the Elite 1 Maintenance Contract on my leased '09 G37. I asked what they use for oil changes at Suburban Infiniti of Troy, MI and they used Valvoline!!! On my service receipt they referred to the oil as "oilpak2" . I asked the service rep if he heard of Nissan Ester oil and he said no and they strictly use valvoline for all oil changes. Just an FYI<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
cdso

He's never heard of Nissan ester??? I'm not sure I'd trust him to change my oil...

They probably use Valvoline because they get a good price on it in bulk.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
rllrll

Excuse my asking but, did you use a service ramp to lift the car to get at the oil filter and drain plug? I'm not a big person and I still don't think I could slide under the front end.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
jzinckgra

Originally Posted by eauty
Well I just got my first oil change on my car and I have the Elite 1 Maintenance Contract on my leased '09 G37. I asked what they use for oil changes at Suburban Infiniti of Troy, MI and they used Valvoline!!! On my service receipt they referred to the oil as "oilpak2" . I asked the service rep if he heard of Nissan Ester oil and he said no and they strictly use valvoline for all oil changes. Just an FYI<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
And that's one reason I didn't go with a maint. contract. You pay all this extra money and are told (not sure you were told) that the oil changes would normally cost $110 (that's what we were told), so I assume ester. Then they turn around and give you non-ester oil for 'cheap'.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rllrll
Excuse my asking but, did you use a service ramp to lift the car to get at the oil filter and drain plug? I'm not a big person and I still don't think I could slide under the front end.
I typically jack up the front end (bought a floor jack) and put jack stands under it. I haven't tried a change on the G yet though, and I'm worried about access to get the plastic cover out of the way.

Are others changing their oil on their own without issue? The dealer did the first two and Wal-Mart did the last (with Pennzoil Ultra). That one had me a bit worried so I stayed back there and watched them.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I did mine the other day with just a jack and a couple jack stands. Was a little tight but not too bad. On the 37 they put a little flap on the plastic peice that just bends back out of the way to access the drain plug and filter for oil changes. No more having to take the whole thing off like on the 35s.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
I did mine the other day with just a jack and a couple jack stands. Was a little tight but not too bad. On the 37 they put a little flap on the plastic peice that just bends back out of the way to access the drain plug and filter for oil changes. No more having to take the whole thing off like on the 35s.
Oh well heck that'll make it a lot easier to change. I thought I had to remove the whole cover. Page 8-10 para 5 of my manual says "Remove the plastic engine undercover."
Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
wakeboardr116

You still have to unscrew 4 bolts to release the flap, but it still beats taking the entire thing off.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 AM
haganjeff

Originally Posted by rllrll

Thanks
Used the Rhino Ramps (12,000 pounds) from Wal Mart. I was a little worried as I'm 6'2 260lbs. But no problem. A little clausterphopic at first, but was enough room to work ok. I just undid the 4 10mm bolts and bent down the flap. Fairly simple.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eauty
Infiniti of America made that perfectly clear to me
personally.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I have an 04 G35 Coupe with 81,000 miles. I use Amsoil 5W-30 100% synthetic and I've had my current oil in for 10 months. I checked the oil level about two weeks ago and it is a slightly dark honey color after about 12,000 miles which is VERY clean for being in there that long. I credit the Amsoil filter for keeping things that clean. I'm on a yearly change schedule and it's worked great. The engine is quiet as well with no lifter tick. With extended drain intervals, it's very important to keep an eye on oil levels. In my case, the VQ35DE engine is widely known for burning off some of it's oil despite having no smoke in the exhaust. I also have done an engine flush with the oil change so it keeps everything very clean. I check the oil monthly and add a little bit here and there just to make sure my levels aren't getting low.
The way I understand it, the "valve ticking" is a VVEL issue. The VQ35s don't have VVEL and might not benefit as much from the ester oil.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Oh well heck that'll make it a lot easier to change. I thought I had to remove the whole cover. Page 8-10 para 5 of my manual says "Remove the plastic engine undercover."
When I did mine -- the car's very first oil change -- I found the cover would not stay bent back. It wanted to unfold back up to where it would have caught the draining oil. I simply set a tall jug on the ground underneath to hold it in place.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
When I did mine -- the car's very first oil change -- I found the cover would not stay bent back. It wanted to unfold back up to where it would have caught the draining oil. I simply set a tall jug on the ground underneath to hold it in place.
I was having the same problem too and just used a small bungie cord to hold it back.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Our 07 had the hinge flap crease in the engine splash cover so it was a simple 4 bolt removal. I just used an extra hydraulic jack against the flap to keep it open, our 09 is the same. I believe the 07s were the first to have the access flap, very convenient feature for us DIY tightwads, ,lol.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
JfromTheBay

For my upcoming oil change i was thinking of switching to Pennzoil Ultra, i still have 2 Nissan filters which i have been using with conventional oil, I called my Nissan dealership since I dont have a Infiniti in my area and they told me that you can use the Nissan filter with Full Synthetic, does this hold true or should i upgrade to another filter?

Quick Reply: Oil Change today with Pennzoil Ultra