G37 Sedan

Help Pls! Rattling noise going over any bump!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
hieuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here!

I hear some rattling in my car too and it has only been 2 weeks since I bought the car. It rattles in three places right now.. One place I hear noise from is at the passenger side rear door when I'm just cruising on a smooth road. The sounds it makes sounds like something is sticking. Second place is that when I hit a slight crack or bump in the road, the rattle comes from the rear shelf which I haven't pinpoint where it is yet. The third place is on the dash near my navi screen or center speaker.. ugh I dunno.. I really like this car, but these little things are starting to annoy me. Guess I'll have to have a talk with the dealership.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM
RaiderG37x

I have the rear deck rattle and the "pop" sound under the dash near the base of the windshield (I think). The dash noise only came up since it got cold. I took apart the middle stack and looked around under there. Nothing seemed loose or made any noises when I poked around?. I don't want the dealer pulling the dash apart and it will get warmer soon.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u guys think 95 percent of the rattle noises are because its cold? i mean i am in the 20 and 30 degree weather here and was wondering if that could be the case? the only rattles i hear is once in awhile coming from the passenger side door/seat belt area. I dont know if its the seat belt but thats what some people are saying.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
metalblaze

Originally Posted by Infiniti7
do u guys think 95 percent of the rattle noises are because its cold? i mean i am in the 20 and 30 degree weather here and was wondering if that could be the case? the only rattles i hear is once in awhile coming from the passenger side door/seat belt area. I dont know if its the seat belt but thats what some people are saying.
I live in MN, and it is "cold" here . All my rattles go away come spring....cold temps are certainly part of the rattling equation.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

why does cold weather bring rattles? haha...how many miles do u have on your car?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
djsk

I have no idea why it's the cold weather that brings the rattles. I guess that's the million dollar question. But that's the case for me. I think 45-50 degrees outside is the sweet spot for my car at least. Anything above that, no noise, and anything below, ^&*#%^&()% annoying noise!

It just frustrates me since I drove a Dodge Charger for three years before this car, and no annoying noise what so ever. The Charger was half the cost of my G37. Cmon Infiniti!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
djsk

As for the noise from the passenger side. I too have this problem from time to time, and for me, it is the passenger seat belt. I just mess with it and make sure the seat belt is upright and straight and the sound goes away.

Also sometimes I hear some noise from the center consule near the NAVI, and i found out it's the sunglass holder. The sunglasses inside the holder gets positioned in a weird way and makes an annoying rattling noise. I just readjust the sunglasses and the sound goes away.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 AM
KLB

Cold makes things contract, widening gaps and such.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by djsk
I have no idea why it's the cold weather that brings the rattles. I guess that's the million dollar question. But that's the case for me. I think 45-50 degrees outside is the sweet spot for my car at least. Anything above that, no noise, and anything below, ^&*#%^&()% annoying noise!

It just frustrates me since I drove a Dodge Charger for three years before this car, and no annoying noise what so ever. The Charger was half the cost of my G37. Cmon Infiniti!!!
Maybe you hear more rattles inside the G because the cabin is so much quieter to begin with. I know the the Dodges we've had recently didn't have the quietest cabins when driving. My hands free was pretty much useless on the highway in the Dodges, compared to the Inifiniti where people can't really tell I am driving.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
Cold makes things contract, widening gaps and such.
Yup. plus materials become less malleable and so creaks and such will occur.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Ginger

I had the noise some of you describe from the base of the windscreen. The dealer was very patient with me (I hate noises inside the car) and took it back 3 times to locate and finally fix it. I won't relive the nightmares of their investigation (dash out!) but they eventually narrowed it down to where 3 pieces of sheet steel are spot welded together right below the windscreen. The fix was to glue these together to prevent them flexing independantly and therefore stop them rubbing on each other. Don't be put off by the dash out statement, there's no need to take it out based on the eventual fix.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
Have you guys every experienced a little rattling noise from the passengers side of that car? sometimes when i shut the drivers door ill hear a little rattle like a penny is on the dashboard and rattles ha. but it comes from near the door/seat belt area of the passenger side. if i bang the seat with my hand i hear the noise in the seat and thats what im thinking. anyone have a suggestions?
Yes, mine does that over rough roads. Not too bad. Just a tad annoying. One of these was the plastic near lock mechanism in the glovebox, was fixed with some felt tape. Another is coming from seat belt adjustment mechanism. It's heard for me to tell on a lat becasue my radar detector mount rattles bad from time to time, and in different wast, and my kids' car seats make odd sounds all the time. Once I take everything out of the car, it gets really quiet for the most part. You'd be surprised at what you think is rattling and turns out to be something totally else in a totally different area. Car acoustics are weird.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
JiggaDiesel

yea i have the same two rattle problems in my 09 g37x it is aggrivating after spending 40k on a car but as experience in working at a dealer as a tech rattle noises equal ripping things aprt and that means loose bolts and maybe unexpiernced techs so ill just deal with it but the warmer weather does make it go away
Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JiggaDiesel
yea i have the same two rattle problems in my 09 g37x it is aggrivating after spending 40k on a car but as experience in working at a dealer as a tech rattle noises equal ripping things aprt and that means loose bolts and maybe unexpiernced techs so ill just deal with it but the warmer weather does make it go away
+1 - if you have to, go to a really good body shop, and maybe they can help with less destruction....
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Winshield Pop noise

Not sure if this is the same noise as the OP has but some of the other posts seem to be related.

There are several threads describing a “windshield popping noise”. See https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ing-noise.html

Mine is on the driver’s side and not too bad yet. Seems to occur when I hit bumps. If you’re not familiar with this issue there is a lot of discussion on the forum about it.

See https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...g37-coupe.html for a long-winded discussion about what others have tried, but the first link seems to have a workable solution.

Quick Reply: Help Pls! Rattling noise going over any bump!